It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your chance to play God. Who lives and who dies?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Case Scenerio:

A Hollocaust of mega proportions is about to ensue upon humanity. 6 People have arrived at an underground facility, but ALAS, only 5 people are allowed in.

The shelter contains enough supplies, food, water, etc., to sustain only 5 people for 3 years. Basic medicine cache.

Dilemma:

Pick only 5, and state your reasons as to WHY these people should have a place in the shelter.

Candidates:

1. Chad - Harvard Graduate. Engineering is his forte. He recently found out that he might possibly be 'sterile' - due to previous lab experiments.

2. Ben - Healthy and verile male. Yet, egotistical, and has many biases towards others because of his upbringing. Doesn't subscribe to authority very well.

3. Maria - Surgeon/Physician. Her husband left her 4 yrs. ago, and she hasn't trusted the male species since then.

4. Cecil - Diabetic. Has almost 3 yrs. of Insulin supply. Hardworking individual; no task is too menial.

5. Brenda - 5 months pregnant. Candidate #4 - 'Cecil' - is her husband. Very hard working individual

6. Rachel - Ordained Minister. Taught Theology for 25 years. Excellent teacher.

Who would you choose and Why?

Note: This was an actual exercise given in our class in high school. I'm curious to readers responses

~Ducky~

Okay first I 'd say I'd have to choose the pregnant woman for one reason she's fertile and if mankinds wiped out can give birth to the future.

NEXT i'd have to choose CECIL because she expendable and most likely and surely will DIE without her insulin and I know diabetics So we kill HER for the survival of mankind. Or she dies naturally...

Next i'd choose Maria because she has Medical experience and can save lives.

Then unfortunately I'd choose ben but, he will have to die later on because he would cause probblems but, he's fertile for the survival of mankind. SO once were done with him for the genectic survival of mankind we throw him out the window...

Last I choose chad because he another male which can protect the females from the aggresive male and he might not be sterile but he's a man and men aren't just ment for reproduction their ment for protection too.

SO i'd take
CHAD
BEN
MARIA
CECIL and
BRENDA
in terms maria gives birth but one of them dies so it even things out....if not somebodies going to have to die regardless of how many people you choose...or who you choose...

I didn't want rachel because I wouldn't want that chasity religious bull# which has divivded and killed many people for over thousands of years and besides she's probaly not even fertile...

CHAD for PROTECTION FROM BEN
BEN FOR FERTILITY
MARIA FOR MEDICAL CAPABILITIES FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS AND SURVIVAL
CECIL FOR EXPENDABLE ROOM FOR MORE LIFE AND A EXTRA FOOD SOURCE
BRENDA for FERTILITY

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ggurl777

...Protestant ministers can marry.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Either way have you ever heard of CARRYING CAPACITY
No matter who you choose sombodies going to DIE!!!!
If you don't want anybody to die then choose Leave out the pregnant lady...but if we are also talking about the future of mankind leave out Rachel and nature will even itself out and it's called CARRYING CAPACITY
I say let the diabetic die in the facility or kill somebody in the facility but I garauntee you with bens personality if you left the PRego lady OUT then still somebody will still DIE!!!! and probaly doom humanity...Even if she can marry you don't know if she'll reproduce also the one that doesn't trust men might not be willing to mate with the others males..Especially BEN the way I see if somethings gotta GIVE in order for humanity to survive So I see no more than 4 or 2 people making it out alive...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Very simply, I would choose all of them and leave myself out. No man should have the power to choose who lives and who dies, except in matters concerning himself.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

You fail to realize that your not in the MIX that you yourself are choosing who goes In.
WHAT I'm trying to say is in this situation this doiesn't apply to you you are basically choosing who can livve and who can DIE...
Also if you let all of them in you DOOMED them alll...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Well first of all I would snap my fingers so all the people who sin disappear...oh crap I just disappeared. I hate that.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Shoot everyone but Maria to extend the supplies. Protect her and gain her trust in men back. Copulate as much as possible, if possible when the trouble dies down. An engineer is useless if he can't build, A religious leader has no overall benefit, and a married couple will bring the group down when they fight about stupid crap or might turn on the group as they are a more closely knit team off the bat. The egotistical guy should be shot for being a douche, this is me and Marias enclave now.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The pregnant woman and the diabetic man can leave. The pregnant woman will become a resource hog and very defensive considering that she carries a child, there are no chances of repopulating with a single female anyway, and well the diabetic man will follow her. There's no such thing as a hardworking man in this scenario, people will try their best to stay alive under these conditions. The surgeon... I think it's obvious she stays regardless of her being an androphobic, even without proper equipment she could probably treat broken bones, wounds, and other minor problems. The preacher can be a great psychologist and at least her faith will keep her sane. The a55hole plays a possible threat but he can eventually be thrown out, I wouldn't like to be stabbed during my sleep so I'd keep an eye on him the whole time. The engineer serves no purpose since he would not have any tools and he wouldn't be able to come up with anything useful but the a55hole and him could help the farmer and learn a thing or two from him. There's no way of knowing how their personalities will change after a year or two. Or you can do the right thing and split portions, everyone of them is going to die eventually anyway considering that they are the last people on Earth and they aren't exactly young and adapted to the new environment.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I would let the first 5 in, leave Rachel the minister out in the cold.

The rest are hard workers, the engineer could keep things running.. the diabetic could be a laborer until he died...The pregnant woman could also be a laborer after the baby was born(Hard working right?) The ass hole, Well if you could get him to calm down he'd be great guard (Yes i would have things set up semi military like. This is survival not summer school) The surgeon... Well do i even need to explain? A doctor would be a must in such a situation.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Raverous]

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join