Your chance to play God. Who lives and who dies?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
This is a shortened version of a very famous psychological and sociological group exercise.

Could anyone post a link to this? I'd be interested to see what the results are of the larger test.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster

Who would you choose and Why?
Candidates:

1. Chad - Harvard Graduate. Engineering is his forte. He recently found out that he might possibly be 'sterile' - due to previous lab experiments.

Male. Although he may be possibly sterile, he has engineering expertise to help rebuild the facilities.

2. Ben - Healthy and verile male. Yet, egotistical, and has many biases towards others because of his upbringing. Doesn't subscribe to authority very well.

Male. He is healthy and verile nonetheless, which means he could help around the place.

3. Maria - Surgeon/Physician. Her husband left her 4 yrs. ago, and she hasn't trusted the male species since then.

Female. She has medical expertise to help with injuries and Brenda's new baby.

4. Cecil - Diabetic. Has almost 3 yrs. of Insulin supply. Hardworking individual; no task is too menial.

Male. He may be dead weight because he won't last for three years. But he is still useful around the place. He is already breeding with Brenda. So in three years there could be three more babies to add to this place.

5. Brenda - 5 months pregnant. Candidate #4 - 'Cecil' - is her husband. Very hard working individual

Female. She is with child, which is good for re-population and she is a hard worker, which means she has strong genes.

6. Rachel - Ordained Minister. Taught Theology for 25 years. Excellent teacher.

Female. She has inspirations that will keep up the morality of the remaining five people.

I cannot remember from high school which one should have left behind. But I barely remember the religious person (Rachel) needs to go because her conviction won't allow her to conceive a child.

[edit on 2008-2-13 by pikypiky]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SnowWhite

You would probably be wise to keep ben in the mix, if you are a woman. You know women cant really think for themselves, so it would be good to have a strong man to help you out. Ha ha, I make myself laugh, I am just yoking so dont attack me. But seriously if you are a women it would be a good idea to have Ben there. He may not follow orders from a man, but everyone knows there isnt a man alive that wont follow a womens orders.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would leave Chad and Ben to fend for themselves.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined so the need for Chad isn't high.

Ben I would just end up killing once I got sick of his attitude or once he started creating problems with the others.

I see Maria as very important as a doctor.

Cecil and Brenda I would keep together for obvious reasons.

Rachel I would keep in to help keep everyone's spirits up.

Leaving Chad and Ben out would make the room necessary for the unborn child.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Prior events:

I'd have Chad teach Ben engineering beforehand.

Have the doctor cure diabetes and therefore, the diabetic would not be diabetic by the time of the incident.

The doctor would erect a cryo chamber in the shelter with Chad and Ben's help.

Have the former diabetic learn about raising healthy foods, perhaps hydroponically, in a limited space under strained conditions so that the food supply will not be such an issue.

In the shelter:

I'd have the doctor teach the teacher/minister, to double as a nurse

Have the baby removed from Brenda, just before birth and have mother and child placed in cryo until such time as the baby can have a decent chance of survival with its mother.

With Ben's engineering skills and Chad's insistence that they make a plan for expanding their domain, Ben would be too busy to be obnoxious. (use your resources best by redirecting the energy!)

It's always a good idea to double up on skills since if one dies, there's still someone remaining that can carry on the legacy.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by undo]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
well cecil has to be left out! heres my thinking as to why.

It didnt say that i even get to go just that i have to choose; so im out!
and it didnt say whether or not we have to repopulate the world. and it didnt state what activites they had in the shelter so lets just assume they dont have any and they have to talke to eachother for three years.ahhaha

CHAD- it didnt state what his age was so for all we know he could have just graduated and be in his twenties and it also didnt state what type of engineer he is. he could be a textile or and automotive engineer and that wouldnt be very useful in a post apocalyptical situation. lets just hope he majored in something useful. and he COULD be sterile..well, test can be wrong and there have been many people who thought they were sterile had babys. either way he gets to stay because in three years he could teach the othere what he knows and help to keep people thinking.

BEN- age unknown. egotistical, and has many biases towards others because of his upbringing. Doesn't subscribe to authority very well. ..he sounds like a natural born leader. all that doesnt mean he is going to cause any trouble just cuz he has a big ego and doesn't like authority. he would be the leader!

MARIA- she could have also just graduated and could be in here thirties or fortys so she can still have children and she has a valueable skill and could teach the others what she knows.

CECIL- gets left behind his diabetes could be a problem and they dont need him for reproducing and he already has his genes in the baby. and everyones hardworking when they HAVE to be.

BENDA- age? could be really young. and he being pregant wouldnt be a big deal unless she is having twins+haha then it would. but if its just one then they should be fine she has more then likely gained alot of weight and her body would store most of the food she eats. and she could die giveing birth and that would mean more food for the rest.( i dont mean eating them.haha)

and now we come to

RACHEL- age 40's+. gender unkown. most likely a male. thats right just because some one has a girls name doesnt make them a girl. so im going to asume that rachel is a guy and not a girl. thus no need for cecil for reproducing. also he is a great teacher to teach the kids/ other people they find after they get out. also if there arent ant other forms of entertainment then listening to all the storys of the bible and everything this guy knows would be appealing even to the most hardcore atheist.

giving the info that i had that is the best choice i could come up with. with more info it could be completely different.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Alternative:

The shelter already contains a cryo chamber.
Chad teaches Ben engineering while in the shelter.
Brenda with baby still inside, go in cryo as soon as they enter the shelter.
Maria teaches Rachel how to double as a nurse. And both work on a solution for the diabetes.
Cecil spends his time learning how to grow food hydroponically, from a book he brought with him.

(hint: this keeps everyone so busy, they can't get on each others nerves)

Everyone gets to stay, just some are temporarily not in the shelter proper (those in the cryo chamber), meeting the requirements of the example.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by undo]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'd just keep the women....'specially if they are hot

I could be Adam and they could be my 3 Eves.

We'd need the extra rations because I plan on makin' me a whole bunch of Canes and Abels- WOOOOOO!

gonna be the star of the new Bible in 5000 yrs!!!

[edit on 13-2-2008 by wrathchild]

[edit on 13-2-2008 by wrathchild]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The Prego is gonna be eating for 2, for the 5 months until she gives birth, i believe you said she was 4 months pregnant?

So that counts for an extra person for the first year right there. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. Sorry if it was.

As far as the one guy being sterile. does it matter, you only need to last 3 years, and the guy is an engineer, he has to go in my opinion. Procreation to repopulate the entire earth should not be considered in any decision whether someone should stay or go. But someone like the prego who is gonna eat more than her fair share should.

But:

Being the person i am, I'd have to take them all, and have to just ration and figure out a way to survive. Heck it'd be a miracle if 5,6,or 7 people could live in a confined space like that for more than 1 year without ripping eachothers throat out.

But if we're playing this game, and I must pick someone to leave , it'd be the prego. This would assuredly make Cecil (a liability in his own right), leave as well. So bye-bye to those 2, well 3 actually.

So your left with 4 people your 3 years of food have nearly double. You probably have 5 years of supplies now, if rationed correctly. 2 men (one sterile) but again I don't think repopulating the planet should be of any immidate concern. I forgot did you mention the ages of these people, cause that could be important as well.

Keep in mind I'm throwing the chances of 6 people alone even with one being pregnant repopulating the worl in a healthy way out the window, it's impossible. This group has many things against them, but the major one being time, and food, so getting rid of 3 for the price of 1; imo is the way to go. You'll have same chance repopulating the entire planet with 2 men and 2 woman, than you will 3 men and 3 woman- ZERO.

So you need to last as long as you can, 5 years instead of 3 is nearly twice as long, Giving you a much greater chance of finding anoother bunker filled with people, Heck Cecil and his Wife may be there, when/if you find one, :p

Good thread though, makes ya think.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Nola213]

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Nola213]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Candidates:

1. Chad - Harvard Graduate. Engineering is his forte. He recently found out that he might possibly be 'sterile' - due to previous lab experiments.

2. Ben - Healthy and verile male. Yet, egotistical, and has many biases towards others because of his upbringing. Doesn't subscribe to authority very well.

3. Maria - Surgeon/Physician. Her husband left her 4 yrs. ago, and she hasn't trusted the male species since then.

4. Cecil - Diabetic. Has almost 3 yrs. of Insulin supply. Hardworking individual; no task is too menial.

5. Brenda - 5 months pregnant. Candidate #4 - 'Cecil' - is her husband. Very hard working individual

Well first and foremost playing God would involve more than just 5 people, but in the spirit of things I'll lay down my choices.

1. Sorry, I come from a Dartmouth family, so the Harvard guy needs to FRY lol.

2. As far as the "Healthy verile male", I'm not also in this shelter am I? You put the choices from a Godlike position, but are we also in the shelter chosing these people (similar to a Shelter Supervisor)?

3. The Surgeon/Physician is an absolute necessity. If anyone sustains an injury or comes down with an illness, which is inevitable, then her services will be needed.

4. The Diabetic is obviously a hardworker, and has the resilience necessary for survival. He might need insulin, but with a physician on hand, combined with his insulin supply he will make do. His insulin problem can also be managed with natural supplements and diet control.

5. The Pregnant woman is extremely important not only for her childbearing, but also for the sheer fact that her and her diabetic husband, combined with their child, form a family unit. This keeps the family idea operating, and allows for the couple to conceive more children. It will allow for the passing down of current childrearing and family living knowledge, and experience.

6. The Ordained Minister is crucial for her teaching abilities, and for her obvious factor of being able to keep morale up through the teachings of God and Hope. She will also be able to keep the idea of teaching in general, thus passing down knowledge from generation to generation. Also being from a religious background will help to keep the survivors moral standards high, allowing for more peace within the group, and the passing down of the general ideas of acceptance and tolerance.

[edit on 2-13-2008 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Candidates:

My choices are:

Ben- Obvious choice to perpetuate the species. He is a rebel to authority so he thinks outside of the box which would ensure survival. Even if his orientation is gay- he would perpetuate the species anyway.

Maria her lack of trust will keep her observant and her skills of course are useful and necessary - eventually she will learn to leave the past behind her, yet keep vigilant watch.

Brenda- she carries the seed of hope within her and the remaining people have the skills to keep any viruses or defects from the new birth. Also, she and her husband represent tradition and family family values which can now be perfect in the new world as long as they are willing to keep the best and chuck the rest.

Cecil is hard working and dedicated and likely will contribute far more to the ensured survival. There are enough skills among them to create more insulin or another alternative- which would provide motivation, also the new atmosphere may cure diabetes or alter its negative effects- he would be far more grateful than anyone and the love in there relationship will serve to bond the group.

Rachael- because children will need education and spiritual guidance for enduring the tough times ahead. The construct of religion is not the problem- the corruption of it is. I would hope she had learned that for herself, which would lend her invaluable.

The reason I did not choose Chad is because the worlds best thinkers and engineers came from these great universities and their findings and applications have removed the spirituality in favor of superior engineering which led to the holocaust they face.

This was fun. I took the test then read the others! Its very interesting how everyone assumes Ben would be a trouble maker! People forget that when everyone agrees all the time, nothing really gets done. It takes a Ben to prove the power of one's convictions- if becomes problematic, he can always be dealt with because he would be out numbered!

[edit on 13-2-2008 by dk3000]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Case Scenerio:

A Hollocaust of mega proportions is about to ensue upon humanity. 6 People have arrived at an underground facility, but ALAS, only 5 people are allowed in.

The shelter contains enough supplies, food, water, etc., to sustain only 5 people for 3 years. Basic medicine cache.

Dilemma:

Pick only 5, and state your reasons as to WHY these people should have a place in the shelter.

Candidates:

Note: This was an actual exercise given in our class in high school. I'm curious to readers responses

~Ducky~

Well, I would choose everyone except Chad, there's no room for a sterile person in the new world. Besides, im sure Ben wouldn't mind having Brenda and Rachel to himself.. =)

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Hi and thank you to the OP for such an interesting thread. It is always difficult to play out this sort of situation. We had a similar task during Officer training.

My first instainct would be to tighten our belts and accept all 6, however, as that is not an option, I would have to refuse our young virile male entry. Okay, he may be strong and healthy, but sooner or later he will cause trouble for the group. Additionally, he has no noticeable skills that can be of benefit. Virile also indicates that he is pumped up with testosterone. He is a time bomb just ticking away. Do not be too supprised if, later on, he questions the motives and structure of the community and, perhaps tries to take control. This could lead to open conflict, injury/death and loss of material and assets.

Anyway, just my first though on the matter. I would like to hear someone elses view on this matter, especially if they differ from mine and why they would chosse differently.

Thank you for allowing me to particpate.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AWingAndASigh

you cant include them all unless you want to run out of food faster, plus one is pregnant so when she gives birth thats another person to feed

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Well, to be honest. Id say BEN. No on eseems to understand what living on closed quarters with people would do. either the pregnant woman, or the diabetic, would end up a victim of bens freak out, then causing us to put ben down as woudl be just in the scenario.
bw, a child could be theortically breast fed for many years. And with a minor portion of his mother's rations, and the breast milk, he would make it to 5. At first o was thinking chad, because he is not able to reproduce. But seeing how he is an engineer, well he would be much handier to have around. Plus, seeing as how ben is decent shape and size. Could always throw him in the deepfreeze and end up more than making up for the kids extra mouth

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
of course, then again, i might say chad. Just did recount
there needs to be reproduction of the species. So yeah. sorry chad.(cecil is only other male, married, and not gonna make it 4 yrs.) plus, theres where the food kicks in. Whe the kid is about 3 1/2, ish, he will die, and the kid's food is accounted for. But, I would guess that cecil being a family man, would say, "i wont make it anyways, and my child might be diabetic. So i will let the engineer take my place, to make life better for my family when im gone." Either way works well...guess ben might nor freak when he getting all the .....action..

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The choice is obvious. You dump Ben. He has no particular skills and is a source of potential conflict.

You really can't dump Brenda or Cecil without angering the other, so keep them. They'll work, and if Cecil kicks the bucket, it'll likely be at a time when the kid is just beginning to be a drain on the group's resources and so will offset it.

Maria, Chad and Rachel should obviously be kept because they bring vital skills in medicine, engineering and teaching.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Congratulations on a very interesting and revealing thread.

Aside from the psychological insights of who was booted out, it's also revealing about the ability (or lack there of) of ATS members to focus on the topic, follow directions, read an entire thread, beg the issue and generally miss the point.

That's okay though, I'll still keep logging on. A girl has to have some entertainment.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Cecil because if miranda although she doesn't trust men we still need her to be a possible mother even if it means consorting to rape. bad genes should not exist in the world and by cutting tem out we aliminate one possible source of disease beside his son or daughter

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I would dump both Chad & Cecil. They are worthless.
More to go around for the other 3 + the new one.

The "baggage" of the 2 women would be quickly forgotten.

That only leaves one man, but the problem of the moment is survival, not repopulation.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join