It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Cross wants Doctors to violate patient confidentiality so their insurance can be cancelled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
As if our health care system weren't in bad enough shape already.

External News Source Text:

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Citing an effort to hold down costs, health insurance giant Blue Cross wants doctors in California to report conditions it could use to cancel new patients' medical coverage, it was reported Tuesday.

The state's largest for-profit health insurer is sending physicians copies of health insurance applications filled out by new patients, along with a letter advising them that the company has a right to drop members who fail to disclose "material medical history," the Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site.

"Any condition not listed on the application that is discovered to be pre-existing should be reported to Blue Cross immediately," according to the letter obtained by the newspaper.

One of the conditions noted in the letter that could force a new patient to be dropped by Blue Cross - pre-existing pregnancies.

abcnews.go.com...

In other words, the insurance companies only want to take your money and give you nothing in return. And they're willing to turn Doctors into corporate spies to make it happen.

Pretty soon the poor, the disabled, and those with chronic illnesses will have no health care at all.

But I'm sure Congress will still have perfect care on the taxpayer dime.

For the conspiracy minded, perhaps this is a back hand way to implement eugenics.

Text from an External Source:

Historically, eugenics has been used as a justification for state-sponsored discrimination, forced sterilization of persons deemed genetically defective, the killing of the institutionalized population and, in some cases, genocide of races perceived as inferior

en.wikipedia.org...

Mod Edit: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS. Please review this link

[edit on 12-2-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Appalling!

*adds another greedy soulless corporation to "the list"...*

Have they no shame? :shk:

Actually if one is poor enough, there are county administered medical programs for the indigent, at least in California.

It's that huge swath of the quickly disappearing middle class that are most affected by the rampant avarice of the tools and toadies of the "ruling class."

Who will be left for these parasites to exploit when they finally suck the life out of the middle-income masses?

Despicable...

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
Appalling!

*adds another greedy soulless corporation to "the list"...*

Have they no shame? :shk:

What does it have to do with greed? Do you thousands of dollars a month to the state homeless communities so that they can afford decent health care? Food?

Or do you just keep your money to yourself so that you can stay afloat in these times of economic unrest?

From the amount of homeless and starving people we have in the world, I wouldn't say it's the corporations who are greedy.

Sure, it's easy to blame them, but you might as well blame every person who doesn't take a financial hit to keep their neighbor afloat.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by benign.psychosis]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by benign.psychosis

Are you serious? Do you just post like this to get a reaction or debate out of people or do you actually believe what you post? These companies are greedy and are putting profits in front of peoples health care period. Regular people do not have the responsibility to take care and make sure care is provided thats the hospitals job and if they cant do their job because a companie says they arent making enough money so people go untreated and get worse then yes thats a violation of human rights imo.

I guess I see it different than you because I live in a place where I dont even have to worry about my healthcare and I tell ya its a huge thing to not have to worry about but I guess America knows best lol.

Capatalism can be good but when greed and lack of compashion take over then its only helping the few while leaving behind the many.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I hate to wake you up, but that is how capitalism works. It's not greed, it's business. They need to keep up their profit margins. They are looking for ways to get rid of people who are risky, or who will cost them more money.

Sorry if it doesn't fit in with your happy land lollipop world.

Regular people do not have the responsibility to take care and make sure care is provided thats the hospitals job and if they cant do their job because a companie says they arent making enough money so people go untreated and get worse then yes thats a violation of human rights imo.

I suppose you also think that regular people do not have the responsibility to find their own food because thats the grocery stores job! Those darn grocery stores! They don't feed all the homeless people in my city! I'll tell you, it's a violation of human rights.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by benign.psychosis
What does it have to do with greed?

I got your number, how does it not have anything to do with greed?

Do you thousands of dollars a month to the state homeless communities so that they can afford decent health care? Food?

Do you? Whatever it is you were asking..."thousands of dollars a month."

Is that what it would cost, each and every person on earth, to lend a hand to the downtrodden?

Do please, back up your hyperbole with factual evidence, won't you...can you?

What are "dollars" anyway but a fiat system of exchange based upon the output of those who are kept in virtual servitude by the self-appointed "elite?"

What would happen to the ruling class if everyone, everywhere, suddenly cast off their yoke of servitude and stormed the bastions of the "elite," trampled them and their compound interest underfoot, and began anew?

The truth is, they need us more than we need them.

Or do you just keep your money to yourself so that you can stay afloat in these times of economic unrest?

Do you? What's the real underlying cause of "these times of economic unrest?"

Can you answer that truthfully?

From the amount of homeless and starving people we have in the world, I wouldn't say it's the corporations who are greedy.

No, I'd say the majority of the suffering in this world was a direct result of corporate greed.

Present evidence otherwise.

Sure, it's easy to blame them, but you might as well blame every person who doesn't take a financial hit to keep their neighbor afloat.

It's easy to blame corporate malfeasance for the suffering in this world, because it's absolutely true.

But don't presume to think you can tell me what I might as well do; define "financial hit to keep your neighbor afloat."

Aren't we our neighbor's keeper?

That's the underlying basis for your entire argument in the "Cops/DNA" thread.

Do you propose corporations shouldn't be held responsible for their actions because they're simply pursuing their bottom line, their profits, above all other factors regardless of the consequences to the environment and their customers.

They only owe allegiance to their stockholders, right?

Isn't the consumption and destruction of the host ultimately the end result of a cancer.

I propose that the irresponsible and unconstrained growth of an entity such as that embodied by most major corporations is just that; a cancer on humanity.

I look forward to your well reasoned and "truthy" rebuttal.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Arh the wonderful thing about profit is

someone has to make and some onelse has to pay it.

And what better way to make a profit than by doing nothing.

There's nothing wrong with the American way.... or is there?

Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH PROFIT?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
This is just another reason why money has got to go. In the name of profit we accept more disgusting and shoddy treatment of human beings.

Shame on us

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

What does it have to do with greed?

I got your number, how does it not have anything to do with greed?

Because it is for profit, silly. You'd think it was just as silly if somebody came running into your bakery saying you were greedy because you raised
the price of bread by 20 cents per loaf to maintain profit margins.

Do you? Whatever it is you were asking..."thousands of dollars a month."

Is that what it would cost, each and every person on earth, to lend a hand to the downtrodden?

No, I don't. Does that make me greedy? The guy who lives at the end of the road might not be living as a humanitarian, helping out homeless people because he can barely keep himself afloat. The same goes for a business or a corporation. Wake up.

What are "dollars" anyway but a fiat system of exchange based upon the output of those who are kept in virtual servitude by the self-appointed "elite?"

What would happen to the ruling class if everyone, everywhere, suddenly cast off their yoke of servitude and stormed the bastions of the "elite," trampled them and their compound interest underfoot, and began anew?

The truth is, they need us more than we need them.

We don't live in ancient Rome. You are not a plebeian, and the people who own the cooperations are not patricians. If you quit whining about being so downtrodden, perhaps you could spend some of that energy working your way up the socioeconomic ladder like normal people do. Are you just going to continue to play the role of victim of society?

Do you? What's the real underlying cause of "these times of economic unrest?"

Can you answer that truthfully?

Yes. The big bang.

No, I'd say the majority of the suffering in this world was a direct result of corporate greed.

Present evidence otherwise.

There has always been suffering, killer - even before corporations took over the lands near and far. Go ahead now, take the idea of corporate greed and slowly mold it into another associated concept so that you can continue your agenda of delusions.

Do you propose corporations shouldn't be held responsible for their actions because they're simply pursuing their bottom line, their profits, above all other factors regardless of the consequences to the environment and their customers.

What actions?

Not providing their service to people who have failed to disclose their medical history, or lied about it?

You are trying to play this as some form of corporate greed, when all it is is a case of people who lie to their insurance companies will have their insurance canceled.

You probably didn't even read the article. I can see that you are on some type of general anti-corporate crusade being as you mentioned the environment.

It's easy to make anyone look bad when you stereotype them - corporations included. That is the fault of your entire argument here. You aren't even concentrating on the subject of the thread, rather you are trying to argue against some general, stereotypical, worst-case-corporate-scenario that just does not exist.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The ultimate goal of capitalism is to sell you the shoddiest product for the highest price and legislate that you have to own it. Insurance.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Blue Cross is one of several California insurers that have been criticized for issuing policies without checking applications and then canceling coverage after individuals incur major medical costs. The practice of canceling coverage is under scrutiny by state regulators, lawmakers and the courts...

...Lynne Randolph, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Managed Health Care, said the agency would review the letter. Blue Cross is fighting a $1 million fine the department imposed in March over alleged systemic problems the agency identified in the way the company rescinds coverage.

"They are playing a game of 'gotcha' where they are trying to use their doctors against their patients' health interests," said Anthony Wright, executive director of HealthAccess California, a healthcare advocacy organization. "That's about as ugly as it gets."
ABC News: Doctor's Outrage: Asked to Rat on Patients?

What's even uglier is those who would be so eager to leap to the defense of such predatory practices with personal attacks, muddied "arguments" and facetious statements.

Pathetic, in fact; patently despicable.

Yes, it would appear some of us actually read the entire news article and can fully comprehend the implications therein.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

There has always been suffering, killer - even before corporations took over the lands near and far. Go ahead now, take the idea of corporate greed and slowly mold it into another associated concept so that you can continue your agenda of delusions.

Killer? I publicly object to this type of hateful name-calling.

[edit on 2/13/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kattraxx

Killer? I publicly object to this type of hateful name-calling.

[edit on 2/13/08 by kattraxx]

I publicly object to you thinking that is is hateful name-calling.

If it makes the heart on your sleeve feel better, it should have said "killing" but I suppose I don't have to go back and edit it now that we've cleared up your depression.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Thank you, kat.

But it's what those of us with an enlightened and proper sense of what is right and wrong have come to expect from those who apparently thrive on taking the dissenting view, no matter how morally bankrupt that view may be.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I don't think the word "killer" was used in an offensive manner, it's just a slang reference, so let's stop talking about it and get back to discussing the topic.

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Take the money you would normally pay to health insurance and put it into a high yield savings account.

The funny thing is they say that to many people don't have health insurance right now and more people need to get coverage????

Well hell, if the insurance company's wont have us or they cancel us for getting the flu than how in the heck are we going to get coverage?

And who wants coverage that don't amount to a hill of beans anyway? Its a sham and the whole country knows it.

Another thing, I think if they cancel your coverage they should pay back every dime to date that you paid them that has not been used to pay your medical bills. That would make them think fast and reconsider canceling people's policy's. Why should they keep money you paid them that never got used if they are no longer going to cover you?? Do they think they deserve it just because?

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Let me give you another perspective, ye who doth portray victim.

First of all, the company issues insurance on a whim, without realizing what medical problems the customer has. This benefits the customer greatly in that they can get better coverage relative to their previous conditions.

What do you know, a corporation actually doing something nice? Giving people the benefit of the doubt - trust, in fact - that the customer is not hiding some type of severe ailment in an effort to exploit the insurance system and get their expensive medical treatment paid for, while contributing little to nothing in the process.

Now comes the part when the cheating, lying customer is revealed after incurring extremely high medical costs - after being with the company for merely one month - for the philanthropic, generous, caring insurance company. What wretchedness! What vile, evil ways. What right does the customer have to take advantage of an insurance company that altruistically waives the process of checking patients medical history?

As these evil villains are shown for what they really are, the company dumps their no good arses from the policy - never again to take care of those who would abuse, misuse, and play on the very lifeline that once stood tall to take such care of them.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by benign.psychosis]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
All hail the Corporatocracy! This is the new "IS" and we had all better get used to it. Corporations have bought and paid for our politicians since the 80's. The politicians have sold out to the interests of corporations instead of the people and the Constitution that have sworn to uphold and protect. Nobody here should be the least bit suprised. In fact, no one should be suprised that they are requesting doctors to violate federal HIPPA laws and that the insurance companies aren't being pursued for importuning or coersion. In this modern world laws are only written and enforced against us lowly plebes. All hail the corporatocracy!

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh
In other words, the insurance companies only want to take your money and give you nothing in return. And they're willing to turn Doctors into corporate spies to make it happen.

Not really. This is more a fraud prevention system. When you switch insurance policies, often there is a period where pre-existing medical conditions are not covered, and you also, when you sign up, sign that the information you provided the insurance company is legitimate. The does effect the cost of your insurance.

For example, I have diabetes. This means I am at a higher risk for some very high medical costs. If I don't report that I have diabetes when I first sign up for my insurance, I can get locked into a much lower rate than if I do report it. Were I to have done that, I would be committing fraud by telling the insurance company I don't have something I'm aware I do have.

Insurance isn't a right, and it isn't money for nothing. If I'm going to cost my insurance company at least $3,000/year for insulin and doctors visits, they'd be idiots to charge me less than that per year unless they were a charitable organization. If I lie to get the lower cost, I'm stealing and committing fraud.

It's also not a patient/doctor confidentiality issue. Your insurance company is given more detailed information than you usually are on any procedures and tests run on you. All they're looking for is for your doctor to say if something is new or you've had it for a while.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ah Hahahaha!!!
ROTFLMAO!!

Now they want to portray the poor corporate for-profit health insurance scam as the victim in this scenario!!!

That's so laughable, it doesn't even deserve a direct response.

Pitifully grasping at straws as their view goes down in flames.

Thanks for the lafs!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join