It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPORTS: Conspiracy Theorists "Start YOUR Engines"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
If you missed the skeptical headlines three years ago following Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s win of the Pepsi 400 on the same track his father died at five months earlier, prepare for round two of NASCAR Skeptics 101 following Jr.'s Sunday win of the Daytona 500.

Dale Earnhardt Sr. died on the last lap of the Daytona 500 on February 18, 2001. When his son Junior won on the same track just five months later, he was greeted by headlines like: Skeptics Question Junior's Win

Now it's three years later and Dale Earnhardt Jr. has won the season opener of a new era for NASCAR on the same track, at the same race his father's death signaled the end of the old era. And the headlines already read: Planet's Align for NASCAR's Big Day

ESPN's Justin Hagey wrote "If NASCAR were writing a script for how it wanted the world to see its sport, Sunday's season-opening Daytona 500 would be it." As NASCAR moves from it's southern roots and 33 year association with Winston to it's national efforts with $70 million sponsor Nextel, a story book setting was laid in Daytona for the picture perfect events yet to unfold.

Seemingly defiant to the ever present terror threat, the President landed triumphantly on Air Force One just outside Daytona International Speedway and played in the sun with reporters all afternoon without the slightest hint of a danger. Hollywood celebrities, big-name athletes from other sports and rock stars joined the President on the long President's Day weekend mingling with fans, crew members and drivers alike. Not to let down fans accustomed to a bit of excitement, a harrowing 12-car accident took out defending race-winner, Michael Waltrip, though everyone walked away without a scratch to watch the media annointed heir apparent rise to the throne.

So following weeks of build up and coverage with countless television shots leading up to the race showing the Dale Earnhardt statue outside the speedway and speculation on how Dale Jr. would do in this new era of NASCAR on the same track, in the same race, on the same day... the story ends on that same statue the media loves so much.

Thus ending the "storybook script" of Daytona 2004, while the conspiracy theorists are just beginning. If you haven't already heard at least one person swear the race was rigged, you aren't paying attention.

Related ATSNN News:
Bush to "Start Your Engines"

NASCAR Marketing Jesus with "Passion"

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I just read in USA Today, that Earnhardt also won teh Bush race today !

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Umm, though this is well written and purposely intended, question RANT?
You an advid NASCAR fan?
Been to any NASCAR races?
Ever met Earnhardt or Jr?

Besides being an advid NASCAR fan....
I also did two summer internships with NASCAR.
One, the same year Earnhardt died at Daytona and another, the following year.
BTW, anyone interested in doing a college summer internship with NASCAR, simply go here and read the requirements and if you meet/fulfill them, file an application. This is also a payed internship.

www.diversityinternships.com...

As to any hints of a "conspiracy" within NASCAR and with regards to Earnhardt and Jr's winning on such and such day.....did you watch the race? Good Lord! Jr. had a car that was obviously and visually far faster than any of those who would contend against him. The Boy hero learned well from his father. DEI Corp. is so dominate when it comes to restrictor plate races, and has been for a number of years, that the mere thought of a 'conspiracy' concerning the 'win' on a particular day is a crock, IMHO.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Jr. clearly had the most powerful engine in the race with some experts saying he was demonstrating as much as a 30 HP lead on competitors, making the whole thing a "gimmie".

I know that has more to do with his expertise in restrictor plate racing than anything else, but the people are out there just the same saying it was "rigged" for him to win. There are dozens of articles that purported just such a "wrestling/entertainment" type of scam with the Pepsi 400 Jr won years back, and the non Jr fans are doing the same now.

I've heard the specualtion from people here in the South that once "lived" the pro-wrestling circuit like it was the Olympics. Their motto now when a sport gets too big, with too much money involved: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Again, I'm not saying NASCAR is rigged though I'd have to be a fool not to see the media certainly has it's favorites. But some long time fans from the Winston days are certainly speculating about this new NASCAR on everything from favorite son speculation to the new points race.

As for my personal experience, I worked for Winston on the NASCAR account at one time. Knowing those people, there's ALOT of criticism of the new NASCAR. I'm just reporting on one aspect of that.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
In such Rant, the "Winston days" ended when....last year? Nextel having taken over or the place of RJ Reynolds and "Winston Cup"...aka: now the Nextel Cup.

Just what exactly is defined or categorized as the "new" NASCAR? More publicity, more sponsors, more money involved? I remember the same situation being brought up and subsequently dying off, with football, baseball, basketball.....how is NASCAR any different?

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Just what exactly is defined or categorized as the "new" NASCAR? More publicity, more sponsors, more money involved? I remember the same situation being brought up and subsequently dying off, with football, baseball, basketball.....how is NASCAR any different?

I'm not saying this is right, but if you're in NC suddenly NOT making money on NASCAR it's 100% different in your eyes. That's the short answer.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
....for my DAMN YANKEE brain to contend with! I'm gonna take a pass on the obvious, and PLENTIFUL, sarcasm options!

Just one question SEEK: did that come with all the 'mush nuts' you could eat too?

(**Expecting the regional hackles to be raised, Bout Time sits back to scan his inbox for slams on NY'ers **)

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
....for my DAMN YANKEE brain to contend with! I'm gonna take a pass on the obvious, and PLENTIFUL, sarcasm options!

Just one question SEEK: did that come with all the 'mush nuts' you could eat too?

(**Expecting the regional hackles to be raised, Bout Time sits back to scan his inbox for slams on NY'ers **)

No hackles here. I'm back in NC after a decade of living like a rock star. If cannabalism were legal I'd eat my way back out of this state.

PS - For best results pour your mush nuts in RC Cola! Mmmmmm mmmmmmmm. That's good nut n' cola.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Bout Time.....NASCAR is working its 'Hickville' roots up to a neighborhood near you my friend.

As to those "mush-nuts"......I prefer them in a ice cold Pepsi or Moutain Dew.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I just read on Nascar.com, that Jr. got a congratulatory call from President Bush also.

How's that for a conspiracy ? President Bush, had the race fixed for Jr ?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sad,...

His dad violently passed away,
He watched in his mirror when it happenned,..
He grew up with the BEST teacher there ever could be,..
He is in one of the best teams ever put together,..
He has full respect of most everyone in the racing circuit,..
His mom has been a car owner for years,..
His brother and sister have both raced,...
He has raced since he was old enough to,..
His dad tought him to 'learn & earn it the hard way,..

He wins the Daytona,...

and you cry foul.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
...His mom has been a car owner for years,..

What billy goat do you live on the side of a mountian with?

Who's mom doesn't own a car?

I know that's not what you meant, but still...

B.F.D!

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Rant, that wasnt meant personal at you, I just think that he has earned the position to be a Daytona winner.

As far as being a (race)car owner,..It isnt half as easy as it sounds and has nothing to do with owning a car title.

The owner is boss. The owner has the final say in hiring everyone who works on the team, from the driver to the crew chief to everyone who prepares the cars for racing. The owner spends money on cars, parts, and payroll.
www.dummies.com...

For the first time in years, Phil Parsons is getting more than five hours sleep a night. The endless days of crunching numbers, appeasing employees and finding every ounce of horsepower have been taxing on Parsons during the last four years. Owning a race team is a full-time job in itself.
www.onlineathens.com...

Ten years ago, being an owner/driver in NASCAR was chic. But times have changed.

Junior has been in a racing family since birth, and with the wide experience of his family, and natural ability, he will go alot farther than most.

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Good background info. No, I was just joshin' anyway.

I know Jr. and the whole family is amazing. But the element is out there that is beginning to think of NASCAR as more sports/entertainment than competitive.

I'm on the fence. I think some have advantages over others, but I could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Kind of a funny/odd story...

My friend in I were in a bar at a local bowling alley where I used to live. That very race that his father died in. Well, we were watching the race, ad keep in mind, my friend particularly hated Dale. So, as we watched, and saw the car crash into the wall, (and as we all know, the wreck didn't look bad at all) my friend blurted out, "Heh, good, I hope he dies..."

Later that evening as we were watching the new, we discovered that he infact did die...

Just one of those things I guess...

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Jeez guys, get with it. These guys would never throw a race. Not a slam but their egos are huge and they are truly competitive. There's rules abouit the rules etc, tight this and that gotta be Nascar's way or the hiway. These guys are Drivers through & through and it makes me wanna puke to hear some of y'all blather on about something which you know nothing about.
The Earnhardt name is venerable, on par and perhaps above the Petty name. Certainly equal. Throw a race??? what the f**k are you smokin' dude???

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
If you dont belive all sports are rigged your off your rocker just look at when the patorits beat the Rams on the post 9-11 carpet ride we all took

new topics

top topics

join