It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico might decide who wins the Democratic Nomination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Couple of thoughts, as puertorican I feel a sense of pride that our vote might count for something for the first time when it comes to U.S. politics. We might be even sending the next democratic presidential candidate straight to the White House as I dont think McCain has any chance to win.

Believe it or not, the biggest key to winning the Democratic nomination has nothing to do with winning states. This June, the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico will sway a greater gain in delegates to its favorite Democrat than California, New York, or Illinois was able to do yesterday.

Puerto Rico apportions a significant, though not seemingly overwhelming, 63 delegates. But wait! The key to Puerto Rico's strength is that it is the ONLY winner-take-all contest on the Democratic side. Even Illinois, a highly populous state which voted heavily in favor of its own Senator, Barack Obama, only gave him a 52 delegate edge over Hillary Clinton. New York could only sway 40 more delegates to its senator than to Obama. However, non-state Puerto Rico will hold a caucus in June to choose which candidate will get all 63 of its votes at the Democratic Convention.

Puerto Rico is King in Democratic Race for the White House

The following thought occurred to me while preparing for my stint on Fox News on Super Tuesday evening. The Democratic nomination may be determined by the delegation from Puerto Rico.

The delegates will be chosen, technically at least, in a caucus in early June. Puerto Rico has 63 delegates to the Democratic convention, more than similarly sized South Carolina (54), Oklahoma (45), or Connecticut (60). The Democrats, in line with their traditions of welcoming and celebrating minorities, have long given Puerto Rico about as many delegates as it would get if it were a state, while the Republicans long gave it only a few delegates and today give it somewhat fewer delegateproportionately.

www.usnews.com...

The part that I like best:

This means that Puerto Rico is likely to have more leverage in Democratic National Convention votes than any single state, no matter how large. Its leader will be able to deliver a 63-vote margin for the leading candidate.

I have been talking to my family members that live on the island and I can tell you that Obama has no chance of beating Hillary right now, of course that could change especially if Obama decides to campaign in PR. Obama has a lot of appeal and people in P.R. are very engage when it comes to politics. I think he should go and campaign, it would ve ironic for the first minority president that has a real shot to win the White Houseto loose just because he decided not to campaign in a territory full of minorities.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Puerto Rico is the last of the primaries on June 7th right? Are the other US territories also allowed to vote in the primaries? I have heard nothing about Guam, USVI, American Samoa, etc and their primaries however.

Hey who knows, maybe the next presidential election the people of Puerto Rico will be able to directly vote on the issue on election day?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It's about time Puerto Rico had more say in U.S. politics. Obama should listen to your advice. Has Clinton already campaigned there, or is she planning to? Why is she the favorite right now?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I really dont know the status of the other territories, and as far as puertoricans voting for the President it will only happen if PR becomes as state.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
It's about time Puerto Rico had more say in U.S. politics. Obama should listen to your advice. Has Clinton already campaigned there, or is she planning to? Why is she the favorite right now?

Hillary has not campaign in PR yet but she and especially Bill Clinton have a long history with the people from the island, Bill has lobbied for benefits for the island and also for jobs and such, so puertoricans remember that and would gladly give Hillary their vote in the hopes that the local economy would get a most need it boost, thats why she is ahead right now.

But im pretty sure that if Obama goes over there a campaign he might be able to steal it away from her. I already told my family to vote for him.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I sure hope Obama isn't the president. For such a fine young man to die so young. Can you imagine it? You have millions of racists in this country who would rather go to jail/martyr themselves then see a black man in the White House. Although it might help end the war. Pull the troops out to surround the White House as millions of republicans(Note I say republicans not conservative as there is nothing conservative about being a racist) drive their trucks with the stars and bars painted on the side. Some might get in accidents as the pillowcase over their head blocks their vision but still.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HHH Is King
I sure hope Obama isn't the president. For such a fine young man to die so young. Can you imagine it? You have millions of racists in this country who would rather go to jail/martyr themselves then see a black man in the White House. Although it might help end the war. Pull the troops out to surround the White House as millions of republicans(Note I say republicans not conservative as there is nothing conservative about being a racist) drive their trucks with the stars and bars painted on the side. Some might get in accidents as the pillowcase over their head blocks their vision but still.

haha! now THAT i could TOTALLY see happening... Seriously.

new topics

top topics

join