It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Challenged to Space Arms Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

US Challenged to Space Arms Debate

www.time.com

(GENEVA) — China and Russia challenged the United States at a disarmament debate Tuesday by formally presenting a plan to ban weapons in space — a proposal that Washington has called a diplomatic ploy by the two nations to gain a military advantage.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told the 65-nation Conference on Disarmament that "weapons deployment in space by one state" — a reference to the U.S. — could cause a "new spiral in the arms race both in space and on Earth."

Lavrov's call came with an implied threat, noting that the Soviet Union caught up with the U.S. after World War II by developing its own nuclear weapons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Putin accuses U.S., NATO of reviving an 'arms race'

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
First they accuse the USA and UN of reviving the arms race, now both China and Russia challenge the USA to a space arms debate.

Who is provoking whom here.

This is like a deja vu to my almost youth and the old cold war.

Can we meet a proliferation race and conduct a "war on terror"

Out migration may be the only answer. Not too many safe places left on this planet.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kerontehe

I thought russia bribed american scientist's to get all relevant data for the bomb? they were years and years behind to have actually developed one as quickly as they did on there own!And weapons in space, i dont see the problem here, i mean there no different to weapons on the ground, were screwed either way!

new topics

join