It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Penny in the Palm, What Does it Mean?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamL

Come now. Sure it states a word that may mean Silver, but you really can't take Mythological Measurments at face value. Look at the descriptions of almost everything that comes out of Ancient History, it is all embellished to add effect.

Like me telling you I had a 3 Yard TD Catch in 9th Grade, and by the time the 100th person hears the story 10 years from now it turns into a 90 Yard TD Catch in a Blizzard in Southern Alabama when the Lights went out in the Stadium or some such extreme.

These guys told STORIES. Now, Mythology was a direct Religion at the time and not just a collection of Fables as we now view them. To attract people to Religion these story tellers at times embellished things. Also, simple translations of Ancient Languages are not always so Simple. A simple measurement that would equal 10 Feet today gets screwed up and is now 100 Feet, and no one checks the source to see if he was mistaken or they simply don't have the skill to question such.

I can easily see it ORIGINALLY being a Copper, and as the 'story' was handed down once it had become Mythology it was embellished or mistaken to be Silver.

When discussing things of such Age, one must question all measurements, even measurements of money and especially in a Barter Society.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Just a reminder to remain on topic and to avoid composing posts that address the poster.

Let's keep it civil please.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
just a thought on the penny thing. When you go through the York Rite you receive your own Penny with your mason Mark on the back of it. It's explained in the York Rite degree's. i believe in the Mark master Mason degree this is explained to you. Also in the manner on how you show your penny and what not.

I still have mine haha

wonder if there is any correlation.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
These didn't have any kind of mason insignia on them, just two identical pennies with the same year on them.

I definitely think it had to do with one of your guys traditions of sorts and I am far less confused about the whole thing then I used to be. The presence he gave off still makes me wonder as I have still never experienced something like that again. I have learned through life experience at how to get a good read off people almost immediately, but not this guy. Like I said, it was all very mysterious and surreal in a way. It doesn't sound that exciting when you read it, it's just one of those you had to be there things.

I am happy with the explanations you all have given me for what his whole point was and I'm happy I posted this story as you all helped clear this up in my mind. This is why I love ATS so much, so many knowledgeable people to feed off of

Ah the good ol days of ATS...I miss em

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Resurrecting an old thread... hopefully OP still checks his ancient posts lol...

Something no one brought up here is MANY old-timer Masons develop certain quirks/habits in their day to day routine in how they present themselves to the profane, OP's experience may have been exactly this. I would bet a beer this gentleman kept a collection of pennies on hand to present to non-masons who inquired about the craft in more than a passing manner. The date of the pennies held some significance to him, this was part of HIS personal ritual.
As for the skull and crossbones... As stated before this is a common symbol of mortality used by us Brothers. A Masons ring is a VERY personal matter, it's not something any other Mason or lodge has influence in designing. If a Master Mason felt an ankh had some form of special symbolic meaning for his pursuit of the craft... so mote it be.
The "aura" you picked up from my brother is understandable. I'm assuming you're sensitive as I am myself, I pick up "vibes" from people, a type of instinct I guess, all the time. Not trusting the "gut feeling about people" has caused me distress too many times to tell. I know of MANY brothers that gave me the heebie-jeebies and later found that they were not to be trusted. This also applies to non-masons as well. Point being... trust you gut and heart if something doesn't feel right and you'll probably come out ahead.
In my own experience I have found most old-timer Masons come in two flavors... The "good ol boys" and the Albert Pikes. We Masons may be eccentric in our mannerisms however it's rather easy to differentiate between the good and bad eggs.

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   
My grandfather gave off this same effect on me and just about everyone in the family, that I can remember. Outside of his peculiar roll regarding his affiliation, just a normal guy. In those rare moments when he was imparting wisdom, that glow would be so intense, I still get goosebumps bringing it up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join