It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Police using Live Cameras to Monitor 'Criminals'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

DC Police using Live Cameras to Monitor 'Criminals'

www.washingtonpost.com

D.C. police are now watching live images from dozens of surveillance cameras posted in high-crime parts of the city, hoping to respond faster to shootings, robberies and other offenses and catch suspects before they get away.

Since August 2006, the city has installed 73 cameras across the city, mostly on utility poles, at a cost of about $4 million. But until recently, officers were using them mainly as an investigative tool.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
infowars.net
www.notbored.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Police set to search for guns at homes

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Have you ever seen the speed cameras on the highway and streets?

We have quite a few in Arizona and all they do is collect a paycheck for the state. $100 minimum fine...

How about the cameras in public places 'protecting' us?

What makes the government think they can track and find every single criminal? How will installing cameras help prevent crime?

The District of Columbia has spent $4,000,000 installing these cameras and haven't even been watching them till recently.

At a great expense of the public...

In the meantime, DC has one of the worse crime rates in the country and all the FEDS can think of us installing cameras and watching the innocent citizens walk around town?

Why don't you invest the money in educating the people so they won't have to rob and steal?

No, that would be too easy.

No child left behind, eh?

Just another step towards the police state...Aha, I forgot we're already here.

Check this out, they tell us where the cameras are...And they want to prevent crime?

Why not tell the 'criminals' where you're hiding you idiots!

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Hmm, I wonder if they have cameras watching the cameras, if you get my drift...

How high up are they?

Are they...um...bullet proof?

Can one reach 'em with a long pole and some paint?

Or a tire full of gas?

Just wondering...

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

The locations are there, check them out if you wish

Those who agree with this sort of invasion of privacy would say that in public you can expect no privacy.

What are we all on candid camera or that movie with John Carey?

I'm sorry, but I didn't sign up for this job. I want out.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Why don't you invest the money in educating the people so they won't have to rob and steal?

A most excellent point. I'd be willing to bet that we could cut crime in this country by at least fifty-percent if you just gave everyone a job that would pay them enough for a relatively humble living. And that decrease in crime would continue over time as the "street" mentality and ignorance faded.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Yeah take all that extra Pentagon cash for the wars we start and build schools.

Its too bad the politicians don't think with their heads, but instead with their bellies (oink oink).

I wonder how much money we could reroute away from the 'defense' budget to take care of the 'war on poverty.'

How about instead of wars on drugs and terror we actually start caring about people?

We seem to be able to take care of the old (social security) but the poor are too much to worry about.

That's pretty messed up.

The injured soldiers aren't taken care of, but we can manage to give people on the way out some extra cash? Sorry gramps.

Where's the sense in that?

[edit on 2/12/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I am not against Social Security. It's the only retirement a lot of people have, and it's not much if you look at people who try to survive on it.

On the other hand, if the government had invested the money they've spent on this war already, poverty in this country could have been permanently erradicated here. And the most messed up part is, all the money they've spent on the war IS THE PEOPLE'S MONEY! It makes no sense to me that there should be one single homeless person in the most wealthy nation on Earth. I don't even care if that person is a useless bum who wants to sit and get high all day, they should still have a place to hang their hat.

EDIT to add: And it makes no sense to me why the police should be able to ride around in brand new cruisers year or two, while I have to keep paying to get the hoopdie fixed. And I don't want to hear their excuse that they use the cars all the time. They've got mechanics.

[edit on 2/12/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
So any bets on how long it will take to have these cameras stolen? You don't install expesive camera systems in high crime areas lol. This wont do much to stop crime. Its just money for the state to spend. More money spent is bigger budgets, and bigger budgets leave room for more corruption. Some things never change.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yeah, someone could "boost" a big truck and start knocking down camera poles...

Not that I would personally advocate such a course of action.

BTW, I wonder how many jobs could have been created if they'd used that four million to do just that?

But I guess it's easier to beat 'em down with a big stick than it is to give 'em a hand up.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
Yeah, someone could "boost" a big truck and start knocking down camera poles...

Not that I would personally advocate such a course of action.

BTW, I wonder how many jobs could have been created if they'd used that four million to do just that?

But I guess it's easier to beat 'em down with a big stick than it is to give 'em a hand up.

You dont need a big truck, just a ladder and a hammer or crow bar.

Why not save the tax payers 4 million dollars to donate to charities that help people that really need it and want to make a change in the lives they are living?

Or save people some tax money so then people can spend more money on goods, which in turn, creates more jobs to produce the goods?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Well, you could knock more down in a given amount of time before "the man" shows up on the scene in person to put a stop to the festivities.

And, rather than being stuck at the top of a ladder, the "perps" would have a better chance of making good on their egress if they had an escape route planned using the truck, no?

Again, not that I would personally advocate such a course of action...

I'm positive we could all think of better ways to spend four million dollars to assist a community rather than these oppressive draconian measures of surveillance and control.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
Well, you could knock more down in a given amount of time before "the man" shows up on the scene in person to put a stop to the festivities.

And, rather than being stuck at the top of a ladder, the "perps" would have a better chance of making good on their egress if they had an escape route planned using the truck, no?

Again, not that I would personally advocate such a course of action...

I'm positive we could all think of better ways to spend four million dollars to assist a community rather than these oppressive draconian measures of surveillance and control.

Yea, but who wants to damage a couple cameras worth 4 million dollar by running down the poll in hangs from. Then again, who wants to hang a couple cameras worth 4 million dollars from a poll in a high crime area?

top topics

join