It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Christians always assume they're right?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
(In reply to Jedi...)

Without a doubt, Christianity has a huge following, but it's not everyone on the planet.

Isn't it amazing how there can still be tribes living in hard-to-reach wilderness areas who have still not heard of Jesus even after a thousand years of missionary work?

Isn't it telling that these primitive tribes (wherever in the world you find them) also have morals and social 'rules of behaviour'.

---------------------------
(edit to identify to whom this post is in reply to)

[edit on 12/2/08 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
To the OP.

So, is this just a general observation, or did this come about by hatred you have toward Christianity and Christians?

I'm Christian myself, but am totally open to discuss the fallacies within Christianity and any other religion. I don't do so because I have a personal vendetta towards any group, but to try to learn.

Of course I believe in Christianity and I'll live my life accordingly. Just like a Muslim would, a Jew would and an Atheist would. Does that make everyone arrogant because they believe in their religion?

I also believe that we all hold a piece of the puzzle so to speak, that there are no truly correct religions, or wrong religions. But when we can come together and share the knowledge we have, that maybe the puzzle will be complete and we'll have a stronger understand of who put us here and why. And when we go around 'hating' on each other, it sorta hinders the progress.

To each his own...

Peace,
FK

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Frontkjemper]

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Frontkjemper]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

actually,

it's extremely dangerous to come in contact with an amazon tribe that hasn't made contact with the outside world.

they tend to kill you, maybe cook you up and eat you, people have vanished after looking for non-contacted tribes in South America.

But ultimately, your point is valid and i know it is because its the same point which has been argued against me before. That is, morality preceded Jesus in the flesh, or any other prophet. It is a misconception that morals come from religion or Christianity, or the 10 commandments, but the truth is, humans had a sense of morality well before the Bible was written. The Bible just reinforces it in such a way that its kind of being shoved down your throat.

But all religions, and all cults, think theyre right, and feel with all their being that they are living the embodiment of truth. they delude themselves, but they must.. because if they didn't put that blind faith into it, then they themselves would not be able to convince themselves that what they are worshipping is actually real and true.
(yes I am acknowledging the fakery that exists out there..)

All religions think they're correct. And if you ask them why, they'll feed you a line. Sure, it might not answer your question, but can you honestly say the worshipers from one denomination are that much different than the other? Therefore those who dislike Christians and Christianity on principle should also lash out against all other Monotheistic religions, it will satisfy them even more-so.

My spin on it is like this. Christians say you have to know Christ to go to heaven, to be "saved". And I say, well then, cannot a man's soul be saved in death? If I knew not Jesus, then died after living a good moral life, wouldn't Jesus save my soul, even in death? Because I think he would. I think this explains how non-Christians get to heaven, and I think it is a powerful idea. Christ can save you after your death, if you happened to not know him whatsoever when alive.. due to this reason or that reason.

[edit on 2/12/2008 by runetang]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Spot on!! awesome threat. Brainwashing is a very powerful tool especially when it has been engraved into the generations. If you live with morals that should be enough.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang

actually,

it's extremely dangerous to come in contact with an amazon tribe that hasn't made contact with the outside world.

they tend to kill you, maybe cook you up and eat you, people have vanished after looking for non-contacted tribes in South America.

As Chinese troops would be fought tooth and nail if they came ashore onto the beaches of America, so do primitive tribes fight any incursions into what they deem their own. It's a microcosm/macrocosm thing... the same insinctive response is applied whether we're talking countries with hundreds of millions or tribes with a few dozen. no-one likes interlopers right off the bat. It's human nature to repel invaders.

Cooking and eating your enemies is different from outright torture and murder how? Cannibalism is a human moral issue, not a rule of nature. In fact, animals kill and eat their own species in a wide number of cases.

(ie., a male lion will kill any cubs fathered by another male if he fancies the flick of that particular she-lions tail)

That we in our civilized society abhor the eating of human flesh is a morality transferred inti Civil Law... even to the extent that we may not partake of human flesh even if it is the only way a larger group can survive. There are instances of people arrested, charged and convicted for doing just that.

BTW... isn't the Sacrament a form of ritual cannibalism when we 'eat the flesh' and 'drink the blood' of Jesus?

And I say, well then, cannot a man's soul be saved in death? If I knew not Jesus, then died after living a good moral life, wouldn't Jesus save my soul, even in death? Because I think he would. I think this explains how non-Christians get to heaven, and I think it is a powerful idea. Christ can save you after your death, if you happened to not know him whatsoever when alive.. due to this reason or that reason.

Interesting concept.
Not one I've ever heard before.

In answer, all I can think of in response is to put forward the idea that what makes a Christ is the symbolic suffering for the 'sins' of a culture.

Just as Mayan kings would perpetrate ritual bloodletting on themselves to absolve the wrongdoings of his subjects, so do other 'saviours' all through ancient history (ie. Horus) suffer and pay bloody penance for the sins of others. It's hardly a 'Christian only' idea.

As one who believes in a historical Jesus (even with the scant evidence available), it makes sense to me that the teachings He received were what stood Him apart from the rest of his society. It is what elevated Him to the status of Healer and Worker of Miracles. The man became Christos because of His training and became Saviour because of His sacrifice according to the same line of thinking that forces a Mayan king to his yearly bloodletting.

It is an acknowledgement to the reality of the spiritual realm and the idea that there is a price to pay if we expect our God/s to continue to provide for our needs in this material world.

That there is a judgement or a 'weighing of the soul' upon death is also not just a Christian idea, but one which prevails throughout many religions as well. What one has written in The Record of their Life is forever.

To address the title of this topic...

Christians ARE right in what they believe. It's just that the true meaning of the message that Jesus taught has been changed to fit 'the times' too often and has been 'transformed' into something unintended.

IMO... 'The Christos' is a symbol for the presence of the God within ourselves.

[edit on 12/2/08 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Rite!!
Rite!!
Rite!!
Rite!!
Rite!!
I agree 100%!!

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have a long history of ancestry. the likes of cervantes and the spanish conquistadors. Coronado, Diego and Cabrillo. this is where my chrisitian background comes from. i'd pick up a sword and fight for god if I have to like they did before me.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TrojanNutzConspiracy

Would you care to expand on your post?

All I'm sensing is mockery and I don't think you intended that. Who are you replying to... who is "rite" and why do you think so?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I have a long history of ancestry. the likes of cervantes and the spanish conquistadors.

Interesting. So are you in agreement with how your ancestors handled the peoples of Central and South America during the early years of the 'Conquest'?

It is one of the areas where Christian values brough nothing but death and misery wherever they went. The days of forced Christian colonialism are over, I believe, to be replaced by a severe 'backlash' against the old practice (ie. Africa). The simmering discontent of aboriginal groups worldwide continues even in First World countries such as Canada, Australia, America and complete continents such as South America and Africa.

Subjegation of a people by destroying their beliefs is an old practice but never has been completely successful. You can force a person to 'kiss the cross' by the threat of a sword, but you can never change their heart.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Interesting. So are you in agreement with how your ancestors handled the peoples of Central and South America during the early years of the 'Conquest'?

Oh, absolutely! you have to understand the new world was a scary place. full of weird cults and deadly people. Mayans, incas and aztects killed for fun. they had no respect for life. these guys were worse than the american indians. they would enslave people and take their heart outs, rape them and do witchery. if you saw this in person today. what do you think our military would do? wouldn't they go and kill them too?

I am all for an eye for an eye. My ancestors did a great job spreading the word of GOD

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Interesting topic...to which there is no "right" answer. The fact that the world is so diverse makes it impossible for any one group to be 100% correct. No matter what group you may affiliate yourself with does not grant you with absolute authority. In the end it is all a matter of opinion. or for those more defined and indepth in their thoughts and beliefs, a matter of "faith".

Religion, along with philosophy and theology, are simply ideas that lead an individual to act and live accordingly.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It is not just religion that is the culprit, everyone defends their beliefs, whether it is a global warming enthusiast or the OP of this thread who lumps all Christians in the same category,

Why do those that rail against others fail to see they are doing exactly what they find detestable in the ones they rail against, vicious cycle isn't it?

You want Christians to be more tolerant, yet you are intolerant.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Well, in the immortal words of Monty Python, "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Torturing and burning heretics at the stake was not very enlightened, IMHO.

And also, I have a long and illustrious bloodline, all the way back to the beginning of the human race. We all do. In fact, I read a genetic study that found that over 90% of the human race is descended from "royal" bloodlines. Preferred treatment aided survival, and generation upon generation amplified that. So?

Finally, for the OP: I was taught that criticizing anyone's religion was incendiary--glass houses and all that.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen...

Opinions are just that, opinions. I think I would look at where I stand in opinion(s) and take notice that God CALLS people. I can be full of heady opinion and miss the fact, why hasn't God called me? I would be more concerned with that.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by luxor311

scripture says:

concerning Messiah-there is salvation in no one else;for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved(acts 4:12)

and in (john 4:22) concerning other religions other than authorized in the scriptures:you worship what you do not know;we worship what we know,for salvation is from the jews.

at the time of these statements there was no written new testament---only the old covenant which was given to the jews to safeguard and copy.the Messiah was a jew and the apostles were jews and all that follow the Messiah become spiritual jews.

for me to reject what i have proven over 40 years just because some fake comes along and tells us that G-D has had a change of mind and the old covenant and laws are done away with----just how serious do you think i'd take such a one?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I do not think Christianity has the right anymore, to believe they are the true way. Or a way period. SO PRIMATIVE

The amount of problems caused by the name alone is worse than anything.
Christianty of the old world #ed it up for this one today.

People say; oh well you believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. NO, Christianty sucks. It causes people to turn into brainless sheep. Never questioning authority. If something causes problems. FIX it.

It limits thought process and doesnt allow a person who believes it; to think past a certain point.
If they are words from a christian man, I will not listen, no matter what he says.

Christians cant astrally project.
No religious figure that lays it's dependancy on an outside power will ever prosper.

You are your own god, you are your highest authority.

Edit for spelling and blasphemy.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by GrimTroll]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
You have too be pretty close minded too join any religion, and the close minded only listen too themselves and there master(Jesus).

Indoctrination runs strong in Christians. Religion makes good people do bad things.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxor311
Why do Christians always assume they're right?

Whenever it comes to other religions or atheists or points of spirituality that dont recognize Jesus as the definitive word of God its "wrong" or "misleading" or "untruthful".

Think about it for a moment. Everyone believes that they are 'right' -- if they didn't, then of course they would have nothing to say. Indeed even this argument is presuming here that it is 'right' to complain about people who believe they are 'right'.

Sorry, but I think this is a specious argument that you are repeating here. Let us by all means find out whether someone *is* right or not, but not complain that they think so, when all of us do this.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is a great question.

Most Christian always quote from the Bible as if it were fact. They speak in a tone that implies that no matter what you say, they will not listen or respect your opinions or beliefs. Anytime I discuss my religious beliefs with Christians I'm always mindful to be courteous and respectful.

This is obviously something that is not taught in the Christian religion. That's O.K. though. I forgive them.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BallBreaker
You have too be pretty close minded too join any religion, and the close minded only listen too themselves and there master(Jesus).

Rather closed-minded remarks about 2 billion people, I think. Worse, they are second-hand. Why not think for yourself?

Indoctrination runs strong in Christians.

Not that I ever saw. They do, after all, live in a world in which non-Christian values are implicitly assumed in almost every newspaper and TV broadcast and book they may encounter.

Those who deny Christianity seem usually unable to state the position they hold instead, which always seems to reflect the societal values of the period of history in which they happened to be born. Indoctrination indeed...

Religion makes good people do bad things.

Yours may. To sweepingly denounce everyone else would indeed seem to be a bad thing.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join