It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Christians always assume they're right?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

Or perhaps it is atheists who lack common sense. If they are in the minority and the "common consensus" is that there is a God, then it seems like an accurate assessment.

[edit on 2/12/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well I'm Christian, and I DO believe in not only the simple of idea of tolerance, but the more deep ideology of acceptance. Some of my Christian friends do hold some beliefs that I see as arrogant however, such as the fact that Jesus must be acknowledged as God himself before I can go to Heaven, and the idea that all other religions are nice and all, but they don't understand they are actually going to hell.

To be honest, that actually offended me, as I have close friends from every religion. My friends and I are actually close enough we talk quite a bit about our different religions, and more often than not we end up seeing how much they all have in common. My Muslim friends are always interested in the way we conduct ourselves at Church, and what certain Christian symbols mean, and in turn I have also learned a lot about Islam. On Christmas I even had one of my best friends, a Muslim, have his entire family call me and wish me a Merry Christmas.

Even though I am Christian, I also read the teachings of the current Dalai Lama, whom I believe to be an Outstanding example of humanity at its greatest. He has been through adversity, kicked out of his very own homeland, and had his fellow Tibetans massacred, oppressed, and alienated, yet he maintains a peaceful attitude of being at ease with himself and life. That is something I myself could most likely never do.

I believe that one can call themselves a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, or Buddhist, but unless they believe in the acceptance of others, and are at peace with differing ways of worshipping the same God, then they are not truly religious, and are not truly following the teachings of God and his Mortal Prophets who bestowed such knowledge upon us.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Don't think so, mathemtical equastions are for the lame at heart. As for the true blue ,"Never thought that" people? easy too see, I am neither going to a place of heaven or hell, I will just die, end of me.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

Of course that's your choice, Allred. That's it...we all have choices. I choosen one way, you choose another. But there's no reason for any of us to abhor one another over differences. Love is patient and kind, humble and never overbearing or "puffed up". We could use alot more reasoning like this in the world...and guess what...Jesus taught it.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I’d like to se a Christian come on here and say “what Muslims believe in is just as plausible as is what I believe in.” Not going to happen. Christianly is as plausible as what I believe in given the proof – though Christians will simply say what I believe in is right and that’s all there is to it.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
That's incorrect, Andre. SOME Christians would answer you that way, but others would not. It's like every other stereotype in existence.

The important thing is to keep our eyes, ears and hearts open. I haven't always believed what I do now.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

Actually, I believe we have taught it to ourselves, and thru the demise of incorporation and selected living beliefs, we have managed to create an on-slot of different and rather similar beliefs in something that is quite "Anomated" and different from one story to another. Notice the "NO" because that is the varience from allah, jesus,ect.(NO-Proof)
Nothing is as it seem's, and by chance you can plan your day out tomarrow, and have it completed to your every thought and wish, "Being's you have Jesus, God and all" be sure to post it, It would be accepted as "None-the-less".

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by luxor311

I have no clue as to why some Christens get so high and mighty.

But I guess if I believed I had an imaginary friend like that Zeus wannabe Jehovah, who would punish anyone for disagreeing with me over anything. I would push people around too.

Religion. It's wanna the best power trips.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Or it may have something to do with fact that the majority of those that do not agree have never read the whole Bible for themselves and parrot the beliefs of others without the proper foundation to ponder the possibility of fact or an old but elaborate fable, but I may be off topic a bit.

It is my opinion that the rejection of religion for the most part in people stems either from the feeling of having religion forced upon them or a person experience of doubt when something happened that they did not like. Like God letting their 13 year old cat die when they were 7 years old.

Nothing could support elaborate fiction quite like Jedi as a religion considering the souce inspiration was a film from 1977. But reading the doctorine of the religious treatment makes it a viable religion by definition. Is being a Jedi the ultimate Truth. Not in my eyes as I know the source but in a thousand years the world may have changed. Or as was said in a future when a modest rock band inspired the world into utopian harmony, "Be excellent to each other"

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
They believe they have the devine rite ordained by god.
They believe that they are the select few.
The gentiles,or the chosen ones of gods eye.
They and they alone will be caught up in the rapture.

Can i say head trip!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
because it's right to do the right thing. and only jesus thought you that. name someone else who did that? no one else. if you follow jesus words and god's words you are doing the right thing. other religions don't do the right thing. it's all very logical, christians are right, other religions are wrong.

but other religions offer something to that. I mean that they add another level. like scientology for example.

but in the end, you can NEVER go wrong with christianity friend.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It's a defence mechanism. Once when they start to serious question their religion, they will see that it may have been hijacked.

There may still be some truth in there but most of it may have been altered/twisted/falsified by man.

I think the best move is to be Agnostic because the altered information isn't truth.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
You do not need Jesus or the bible to learn right from wrong.

You don't steal or hurt people, not because Jesus tells you not to do them but because they are wrong and you would not want those things done to you.

I use steal, lie, cheat, start fights, and had a pretty fun coc aine habit. And it was not the word of God that made me change my ways. I changed because I was tired of the pain I was causing myself.

I changed because I chose too. I created my own problems, so I created my own solutions.

I also want to add that if there is a big bearded guy in the sky, any Christan that does good deeds just to get into heaven is asking to be sent to the abyss.

You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, and that's it.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by DarkMile77]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

RITE!!!!!
RITE!!!!!
RITE!!!!!
IF YOU SAY SO!!

sty

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I am myself a Christian but I do not assume I am allways right. I think you talk about "some" christians ( this "some" could sadly mean 90% )

[edit on 12-2-2008 by sty]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkMile77

I have no clue as to why some Christens get so high and mighty.

they get high? and Mighty? what exactly does it mean to get high then mighty?

I guess if I believed I had an imaginary friend like that Zeus wannabe Jehovah, who would punish anyone for disagreeing with me over anything. I would push people around too.

Jehovah wanted to be like Zeus?

Religion. It's wanna the best power trips.

Praise the lord!

- Love Con

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkMile77

You do not need Jesus or the bible to learn right from wrong.

I use steal, lie, cheat, start fights, and had a pretty fun coc aine habit. And it was not the word of God that made me change my ways. I changed because I was tired of the pain I was causing myself.

Jeez guy that is exactly what the Bible was trying to tell you NOT to do but YOU DIDN'T NEED THAT TO TEACH YOU RIGHT FROM WRONG.

So, you found out the hard way, YOUR WAY

I changed because I chose too. I created my own problems, so I created my own solutions.

Yeah a lot of people that are dealing with such things like Drug abuse are given the grim reality eventually they either quit or die. The choice is simple as it is the only logical one so creating solutions is not something of your own choosing but rather one of survival.

I also want to add that if there is a big bearded guy in the sky, any Christan that does good deeds just to get into heaven is asking to be sent to the abyss.

You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, and that's it.

yes but that is just the point and your own post proves it. We don't do what is right when we know it is the right thing thing to do.

We make problems of our own choosing then have to create solutions to resolve them. That is where the teaching of sin (error) tries to explain that it is mans nature to be barbaric and Civility takes lots of practice lots of education and lots of law enforcement.

Then again I could just say screw those cops that want to punish me just because I disagree with there laws.
Who do they think they are ,, GOD!

Then you could argue that we don't need laws to tell us right from wrong and we should drive safe because it is the right thing to do.

I used to drive drunk and all and got in accidents paid heavy fines but then i quit doing all that because of my own choosing so I had to create solutions like hire lawyers and go to driving safety classes etc.

It's the same thing and it is no less silly when a Christian hears someone reject biblical wisdom in that regard then the hypothetical scenario I just used.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
before christianity and the bible people did things that they thought were right. like smoke weed, kill, rape etc. it was the thing to do. the bible came along and said that was all wrong. we are now living in a society that took that idea and placed it in our constitution. the constitution, our laws and regulations all come from right and wrongs in the bible.

when you were born you didn't know what was right and wrong. society told you..our society took this from the bible and the ten commandments. without you knowing it, you are following christian rules and regulations. you shall not kill, marriage, divorce..all come form the bible. etc. so if you think that the US is right, then you should accept that god is right.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
before christianity and the bible people did things that they thought were right. like smoke weed, kill, rape etc.

So, people still do that now. I am atheist and I wouldnt do those things, not only because its illegal, but also because its immoral (not sure if I spelt it right). Dont need the bible to tell me that

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
So, people still do that now. I am atheist and I wouldnt do those things, not only because its illegal, but also because its immoral (not sure if I spelt it right). Dont need the bible to tell me that

yes, but before the bible people did them..freely. without any consequences. raping someone was like going to drink with your buddies to a bar. killing someone was OK..if others told you you should do it.

only now it's illegal, because jesus said all those things were wrong. and he changed our train of thought. this came to the US and that's why we all trust on god.

and you are right. you don't need the bible anymore..because our laws are writen for you already..based on what's right and wrong..in the bible. does that make sense?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join