It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed Robbers Steal $100 Million Worth of Art From Zurich Museum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Armed Robbers Steal $100 Million Worth of Art From Zurich Museum

www.foxnews.com

ZURICH, Switzerland — Armed robbers stole art worth US$100 million from a Zurich museum, police said Monday.

The Zurich police said the robbery took place Sunday and that oil paintings by Paul Cezanne, Edgar Degas, Vincent van Gogh and Claude Monet were among those taken. Further details were not immediately available.

Police called it a "spectacular art robbery," but did not identify the museum, saying only that it is in the city's eighth district

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Someone is getting rich off of this. This kind of heist is straight out of a movie, like the ocean series. Crazy........

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't know... is it just me, or does it all seem too straightforward and simple?

Three guys, one white vehicle. One guy holds up personnel with gun while the other two get the paintings. They leave.

Geez... swiss are good at making pocket knives but bad at security huh?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz

Someone is getting rich off of this. This kind of heist is straight out of a movie,

This is like something out of a movie, but I don't know what you mean by some one getting rich. It not like they paintings could be sold on e-bay. This sounds to me more like a rich person paying some people to steel the paintings. I would suspect they are hanging in a private gallery now, and most likely out of the country.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Perhaps, TPTB are preparing for Sit-X? Something to think about, anyway.

If this is true (and I'm not even remotely suggesting it is, merely thinking out loud), then look for more "robberies" of museums.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

That is what I meant about getting rich. Either someone payed these people to steal it or they stole it themselves with buyers already waiting to pay top dollar.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
This is big local news here in Zurich.
Interestingly, the perps only took four specific paintings and left others, more valuable ones, untouched.
This seems to be a well calculated and prepared coup and a reward of 100 000 SFr has been promised for hints that lead to arrest of the perps.
This is a little summary of different headlines, unfortunately in German.
I'll look for english links or translations.

It was a private collection.
It is important to say that our museums usually don't have armed guards because up until now we never had robberies like this (alarms and other security measures are in place, we are not entirely careless ;-) ).
However, there was another theft of paintings only a couple of days ago and politicians are now openly considering armed guards.

Currently, it is suspected that this might be a case of artnapping, where the paintings turn up after a ransom is paid.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by Swordbeast]

new topics

top topics

join