It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For australians - Apollo 11: The Untold Story ABC - 9 20pm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Tonight documentary on channel ABC - February 11, 2008
Apollo 11: The Untold Story

9.20pm – 10.15pm ABC1
Monday 11 February 2008

When Neil Armstrong first set foot on the moon in July 1969, Apollo 11 was hailed as the supreme triumph of American technology. But behind the flag waving lies a very different story: the untold account of how close the mission came to disaster. Now, nearly forty years later, men on that mission reveal what really happened on the first voyage to the moon, and unpublished NASA documents are made public for the first time. It's a tale of how primitive computer technology coupled with human errors and mechanical failures nearly caused the tragic loss of the crew.

Apollo 11: The Untold Story reveals how, in deep space, the lunar module lost all contact with earth, coming within seconds of crashing. By running off course, the lunar module became critically low on fuel over inhospitable boulder-strewn lunar terrain. Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin recalls how the astronauts believed they saw a UFO some 200,000 miles from earth, an event covered up at NASA's insistence for over thirty years.

We discover how Mission Control's total computing power was the equivalent of one of today's laptops while the power of the lunar module was equal to a modern digital watch. Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin reveals how a ballpoint pen saved him and Neil Armstrong from a lonely death stranded on the moon; and we discover how behind the scenes, so great were the fears that the crew wouldn't return that during the mission White House officials prepared a secret memorial speech for President Nixon to deliver to the world in the event of tragedy.

www.abc.net.au/tv/guide

Watching it now, pretty good
They mention the UFO they encountered, also along with footage, pretty dam good footage if you ask me. Apparently this is the first time its been revealed.

Funny how there revealing it now don't you think? But always denied it in the passed

could be to desensitize us more for coming (if) disclosure.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by gtirlad2]

[edit on 11-2-2008 by gtirlad2]

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on the show dude! I never read the TV Guide so i would have never known.

Anyway i will watch the show and get back to you with my thoughts

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I only caught the last 20 minutes. Didn't know it was on!

You can imagine my shock when the narrator was doing the wrap up and he mentioned the UFO sighting and even showed some footage! I was like "What the....?"

I had to get on here to find out if anybody else saw it and what they thought of it. I really need to see that whole doco now.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yes .. I watched it too. Caught it by chance. Enjoyed it. And like the OP, was astonished to learn the limitations of those first computers.

Of equal interest was the UFO element.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well I didn't watch it, but I know what was happening (tell me if I missed anything).

It was definitely a complicated mission but wasn't really so close to a disaster.

The loss of contact isn't so critical. AFAIK it happened in many missions.

Low fuel was a known problem, but Armstrong piloted it down the last 100m and the Eagle landed with 11 sec. of fuel.

The computer was overloaded during descent, but the landing radar still worked, so it was OK.

A ballpoint pen saved them. HEH. They broke the switch with suits, but every narrow object could turn it.

They just dramatize in advertisements to get as many watchers as possible.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
great post, thanks!
watched most of it, thought it was good

Originally posted by gtirlad2
..Watching it now, pretty good
They mention the UFO they encountered, also along with footage, pretty dam good footage if you ask me. Apparently this is the first time its been revealed.

Funny how there revealing it now don't you think? But always denied it in the passed

could be to desensitize us more for coming (if) disclosure.

desensitize away!!

.......and
funny how neil was absent. again.
then again, he flatout refuses to do interviews doesn't he.

[..'cept that one time,
for the apollo 25th anniversary at the whitehouse,
with his calculated and methodical 'statement' ;]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I can't be sure, but this was posted on YouTube last July and may be the same doc... I enjoyed it.

Apollo 11 - The Untold Story - Part 1

Apollo 11 - The Untold Story - Part 2

Apollo 11 - The Untold Story - Part 3

Apollo 11 - The Untold Story - Part 4

Apollo 11 - The Untold Story - Part 5

A brief precis of the doc from ABC Aus, here.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Muchos muchos gracias, V

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Un identified definition of UFO

Isn’t it a by-product of just a mare false idea?

Why is it so that until this very time; NASA don’t give in a more profound explanation to the so called UFO finds?

The theories they have presented to the public are purely theoretical and are entirely assumption without the basis of intense explanation – leaving the reader/viewers at hung to cogitate.

Is December 2012 another hypothetical theory? or would it be another product of imagination? or just a false reflection.

If NASA will continue to present another bogus info of incomplete science; why do we continue to respect them? Should they continue to present assumptions, what would be our reasons to find their findings in the Solaris of the moon, the mars and all – when until this age – they found the real facts.

The writer hates to call himself cynical about the gray-finds of NASA. This is because, NASA is supposed to present real discoveries, a presentation of information beyond speculations; hence science is absolute.

Now therefore; will this call be an awakening point?; a call to just leave NASA in the boycott; not trusting them anymore?

top topics

join