It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EDIT: Possible misuse of RATS (secret area)???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I don't like this one bit. Why was the "'___' and Near Death Experiences" thread moved to RATS? I assume that is what happened to it.

I don't like the idea of RATS. I don't like the idea that it costs 5000 points a month to gain access to RATS. I think that is rediculous. What about the occasional user who comes on here to research these subjects? How many threads are going to be moved to RATS? How much access to potentially important information is going to be moved there WITHOUT the permission or authority of the members who use this site? We didn't start this site, but without us, this site wouldn't continue to exist.

This doesn't feel right. How many regular user do you think earn 5000 points every month? I've been here since August, I believe. I post here practically every day. I only have slightly less than 2000 points, and I've been here and participated for that long, but all I deserve is some silly custom avatar bar? I don't care about points. That is not the issue here.

The issue is that RATS gives the administrators/mods the authority to restrict the flow of information that is posted here by it's users... and that is a very dangerous thing. What happened to freedom of information? Oh, I see... you are only free to know certain things if you basically please the mods or work your ass off for this site without real pay?

I find it alarming, and personally, I believe that someone somewhere is purposely trying to restrict the flow of information here. There is no reason why relevant threads need to be moved to a restricted part of the forum where the average joe can't see them, unless one of two things is happening: Either this is some ploy to trick people into unpaid servitude to this website, or this is an intentional restriction of information... both disguised as some sort of "neat little treat for active members". I don't buy it.

I mean, why are we not informed when threads get hidden away in the secret forum? This opens up all sorts of possibilities for misuse by rogue staff members.

My suggestion is to get rid of the RATS, or risk the integrity and the freedom that this site seemed to have until I became aware of RATS and it's potential for misuse.

Whether or not I'm right about the '___' thread, RATS is a wolf in sheep's clothing. This is a conspiracy website, and you're making parts of this website secretive away from the average user. What are we supposed to think?

I don't come here for fun little treats or to work unneccesarily hard to earn the right to know important info.

I love this site, obviously... but I wonder how much real truth is being censored by this supposedly grand idea.

How much does does this site have to censor us? First you censor our languange. Then you restrict our access to information. How much further will you take this censorship? This is censorship, either way you try to explain it away. I've read other threads complaining about RATS, and I completely agree with them, now that I've had a chance to think about it.

This is not the way to go, ATS administration. Things are not looking bright here.

EDITED title for clarity

[edit on 11-2-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Just to let you know...

One of your main points, that R.A.T.S. access costs 5000 points a month, is misinformed. That is a one time cost, and renewal is only 250 pts. monthly.

R.A.T.S. is a forum that is not indexed by search engines, and sometimes people like to share things without having them show up, especially on page one, in Google search results.

It's nice to have that option on a site with no monetary subscription fee.

[edit on 2/11/08 by redmage]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Well still, dude... there's no point to this. It opens up all sorts of possibilities for misuse. I may be misinformed about the specifics, but the general idea is just a little bit suspect.

The fact that regular threads are being moved there, and from what I hear without permission from the poster (maybe I'm misinformed about that, too), it's kind of puzzling. What really is the point? If I stay here for another few months doing how I've been, I could have access to RATS. That's not the point. The point is that I'm questioning the need for this at all.

I mean... as far as we know, somebody could gain mod or admin status, and they could change the specifics.

It's like the marijuana tax that was passed in the early 20th century. You had to pay for specific mrijuana tickets that cost outrageous amounts, and even if you had the money, you were denied anyway, and that led to the banning of marijuana for personal use. It's incremental, ya know?

Nobody's gunna notice if you raise the bar ever so slightly, and with this kind of thing in place, the future is bright for the wrong type of person to gain a position to where these types of decisions could be made. It's a bad idea either way. It's a gateway to all sorts of controversy, and this site does not need that, if in fact it is staying true to it's motto.

PS -redmage, I appreciate your correction. The relevance of what I am saying, though... about the possible misuse of RATS for censorship and restriction of info... that's undeniable.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Oops, never mind.

A little research is a wonderful thing. I'll try it first next time

Sorry, carry on!

[edit on 2/11/2008 by eaglewingz]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Hi.

First off, I'd like to direct your attention to this discussion The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites (ATS, BTS, AP).

Which covers the initial subject you are referring to.

Then I'd like to refer you to this, which explains what RATS is for ABOUT ATS: The "Really Above Top Secret" forum

If, after reading those threads you have further concerns or things aren't clear, please register a complaint using the Complain/Suggestion link which can be found on the left hand side of the Member Centre.

Thread closed.

Nef

top topics

join