It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tank on the Moon!!?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Ha Ha! Thanks for the rest of that conversation ngchunter...

...If those were actually real "alien built" domes they were talking about, then those astronauts must have a very short attention span:

"Look at those [artificially constructed] domes..."
then,
"Wow, look at those cliffs!"

I wonder what other conversations did these astronauts had?:

Astronaut #1: "Hey -- look at that alien standing next to that big rock."
Astronaut #2: "Yeah -- that IS a big rock."

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
When I wrote the last post, I was in the process of doing some research for an article I prepared about this Science Channel program, complete with pictures of the dome.

Most of the article is spent analyzing the inconsistancies in the script. The article is too large to post here, so I'll provide a link:

www.maatunidy.com...

It was a pleasure to write, and I hope you'll find it a pleasure to read as well. I'd like to hear if anyone has any feedback. I'm not 100% on my conclusions, and am certainly willing to take any reasonable corrections and/or suggestions to heart. Here are two pictures of the dome, and I fully explain their significance in the article:

Cheers!
Maat

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the link to the Apollo 12 transcription. I just read it for myself. Yes there is a greater context surrounding the mention of a dome, as ngchunter points out, but still only fragments of it have been quoted in this post. For the record, here's the entire conversation pertaining to this very peculiar incident:

03 15 50 38 CMP Okay, wait a minute .... 66.3 by 54.7; that's what
the - that's what this was - 64.9 by 53 - -
03 15 50 53 _P Hey, look at that - look at this crazy thing! Look
at that dome. Right here. That big ... there.
03 15 51 O1 CDR Yes.
03 15 51 02 LMP Look at the cliffs.
03 15 51 06 CDR That's a big crater.
03 15 51 09 LMP Gosh damn! You're going to - look at this ...
Christ sakes!
03 15 51 16 CDR I didn't know that thing was Armstrong's ...
03 15 51 19 CMP ... okay ... do the rest of the checklist_
03 15 51 21 LMP Gee, that's broken. Neeeeee, let's read the rest
of it, Pete.
03 15 51 31 CDR BUS TIES.
03 15 51 33 LMP They're OFF.
03 15 51 34 CDR EMS FUNCTION, OFF; EMS MODE, STANDBY.
03 15 51 36 LMP It's done.

It was suggested that the line "look at the cliffs" was a change of subject. However, if you read LMP's previous quote, when he says "That big ... there," you can imagine that he's physically trying to point out the location of the dome. When CDR merely says "Yes," he apparently does not see it, so LMP gives him a landmark to zero-in on - "Look at the cliffs." CDR hardly takes the time to look, as the time record shows, and as his next comment demonstrates - "that's a big crater." He merely glances for a few seconds at the most prominent geological feature that catches his eye - a big crater. This obviously frustrates LMP, who exclaims "Gosh damn! You're going to - look at this ... Christ sakes!" He's still trying to get the other astronauts to look, but they're trying to fly a spacecraft -understandably preoccupied. LMP's enthusiasm goes unnoticed. The next statement made by CDR is perplexing: "I didn't know that thing was Armstrong's ..." I have no clue what he means here, but it definitely doesn't settle the issue of the dome sighting that had LMP all fired up. I suspect he wasn't even responding to LMP at all, and was talking to CMP. After that, CMP changes the subject and they start going over a checklist.

You have to use your imagination to try and fill in the gaps here. The script tells us a lot though. We at least know that the issue of the dome sighting is still up in the air. LMP never dismisses it, he just consents to his team's disinterest and their focus on procedure at that particular moment.

Anyway, very intriguing, and this should set the record straight.

By the way, I just posted a reply anonymously, right before I decided to post again in regards to this issue. I was told that I had to wait 12 hours to make another anonymous reply, so I went ahead and registered to skip the wait. You guys are stuck with me now! It'll be great fun, promise...

Love,
Maat

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I wrote an article about this program, including quotes and pictures, which can be found on my website (here's a direct link):

www.maatunidy.com...

The focus is on the visual evidence of the glass domes and on the many inconsistancies in the dialogue of the show.

Enjoy!

Maat

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by maatunidy

It was suggested that the line "look at the cliffs" was a change of subject. However, if you read LMP's previous quote, when he says "That big ... there," you can imagine that he's physically trying to point out the location of the dome. When CDR merely says "Yes," he apparently does not see it, so LMP gives him a landmark to zero-in on - "Look at the cliffs."

Personally, I was not suggesting it was a change of subject, but rather a description of what made the dome interesting. As far as I'm concerned, "look at the cliffs" probably refers to the cliffs of the dome itself. As I posted previously, domes on the moon are a well established geological phenomenon, and they sometimes feature steep slopes or cliffs.
history.nasa.gov...
history.nasa.gov...

[edit on 23-6-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It could be that he was observing one of the geological features that you pointed out. I doubt it though. Personally I wasn't all that impressed with the pictures you provided. I mean, if I saw one of those on the moon I might remark, "oh, that's an interesting geological feature, it resembles a dome." I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it like he did, and I wonder why he reacted that way. The conversation is quite odd. I suspect that it was edited. NASA has a nice little chop shop for that!

Anyway, the issue isn't this little tidbit of information - this particular conversation. There's a mound of other evidence for the domes, and I mean the glass ones. Well, take care

Maat

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

It could be that he was observing one of the geological features that you pointed out. I doubt it though. Personally I wasn't all that impressed with the pictures you provided. I mean, if I saw one of those on the moon I might remark, "oh, that's an interesting geological feature, it resembles a dome."

Considering that lunar geologists, like the ones who trained the astronauts prior to their lunar missions, specifically refer to shield volcanoes on the moon as "domes," one would expect that an expert refering to a "dome" on the moon would be refering to a one of these features unless they specified it as something else. Here's another lunar "dome," once again, completely natural, but taken from orbit on apollo 12:
www.lpi.usra.edu...

I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it like he did, and I wonder why he reacted that way.

If you were cruising at an altitude of only a few miles over the lunar surface it'd probably look impressive enough for you to want to make a big deal out of it too. Areas of the moon that look dull from earth can take on an exciting appearance from lunar orbit.

The conversation is quite odd.

I find nothing odd about it. Did he say "look at that big glass dome"? Why wouldn't he specify it as such to grab their attention since he would have known that a "dome" is a kind of volcano on the moon that's nothing out of the ordinary? What's more likely, that he decided to call an alien artifact by a name that refers to a specific, well-studied geological feature and for some reason decided it had "cliffs," or that he saw a cool looking dome on the moon with very steep cliffs and thought it deserved some attention? I see nothing reasonable about assuming the former into existence.

I suspect that it was edited. NASA has a nice little chop shop for that!

Uh, proof?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DodgeG1

Ever hear of the ISS??

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I just saw the program and was amazed by some of the images featured on the show. Very clearly, in several shots, images of a dome structure can be seen. It is apparent that the dome structure was right in front of the rover as it sat on the lander platform! This is why, as it stated in the program, the operator had a pulse of 140! Later on, we see images of both the dome and the lander platform as the rover backed up to get a better view of the structure.

Your friend in truth,
Maat

Show me a picture of the dome structure will you?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I can't get the link to work good sir. Could you please alter it? or post the article here in with the pictures?

star for you if you do...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The Title is misleading and I respectfully ask that you change it to something more sincere and appropriate.

Why not just say ________ < name of lunar module ...on the moon ?

In the short clip of info you posted it does not mention a tank as we know it......

It is however an interesting read and I'll give you a star for that........

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

In defense of the OP (which was posted over a year ago), the Tank on the Moon is the title of the "Science Channel" documentary that he referred to in his post.

Personally though, I think post itself is misleading. The information about the Lunokhod 1 and Lunokhod 2 robotic rovers is not "recently declassified". Details of the Lunokhod rovers have been known since the mid-1990s and their existence has been known publicly even prior to that.

Having said that, the story of the Lunokhods is very interesting. The "Science Channel" documentary was informative, even if it had a title that may be a little misleading to the general public.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Daft question, but anyone know if these things still work?
Might be a little interesting if they are (if even only partly)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Daisy-Lola

Well, first of all they're completely out of fuel, and the electronics that controlled them were all crashed into the moon after they were done serving their purpose. Nothing about the spacecraft was designed to be reuseable (though the engine was capable of multiple restarts), and it's unknown what effects 40 years of space weathering would have, not to mention liftoff of the ascent stage. To sum it up, you could probably get them working again, but they're going to need a lot of work and a complete replacement of consumables.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
this thread, as of this posting, is ancient, but, I'm posting with a S&F anyway considering I've only now just found out about this wonderful Soviet program.

Over 30 miles of travel? Wow.
I wonder if there's a database of all the pictures taken online?
That would be wonderful.

It'd certainly be nice were someone to plop some more rovers on the moon, this time with solar power to recharge and maintain power during the long Lunar day, with perhaps some wiper brushes built onto the panels for clearing off that troublesome static cling dust we've heard about that might get kicked up during travels.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The LRO has photographed the Lunokod 2. Lunokod 2's final resting place.

Upper stages of Apollo mission tanks and other mission have impacted the moon over the years, there is a lot of man-made crash sites on the moon.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I already busted that domes on the moon thread by showing an additional image from the magazine with the lens flare out off of the surface of the moon, the thread died after my post, it was the last post on the thread with no comments after it.

This Post!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join