It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

February 14, 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Who voted for this? Nobody. So Why is it going into effect?

For those who don't know, this day is when all local broadcasts go digital. Angering because this makes all broadcasts more able to be closely watched.

Of course, I will be listening to whats going on in these frequencies and most likely posting them on ats.

This reminds me of Nazi Germany. If you control communication, all of it, then you control the population. Creepy thought.

And BY LAW. WTF??? C'mon. Thats just plain stupid.

I dont know what they are going to do with most of the frequencies, but i think 500mHz to 600mHz is going to be on auction for wireless networking.
The rest? who knows?

Possible next step in close monitoring, the internet.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I guess I am a bit confused. The FCC already "controls" television communication, this just changes the format, who cares. The vast majority of households already use a digital signal through their newer TV or cable box. They are going to use the more efficient analog frequency band for police, fire and wireless communication. The only part I don't like is the fact the governmant is going to make a ton of money off the auctioning of these bands and we won't see anything from it.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I can't see the big problem with getting rid of analog, good riddance I say. Set top boxes here in Australia go for peanuts and the quality leaves analog in the dust.

If it's on February 14, get your valentine a digital set top box

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Hmmm...

According to the FCC:

On February 17, 2009, federal law requires that all full-power television broadcast stations stop broadcasting in analog format and broadcast only in digital format. Here’s what these requirements will mean for you and your television viewing.
Source | FCC Consumer Facts | "DTV" IS COMING (AND SOONER THAN YOU THINK!)

Here's a link to get your coupon:

TV Converter Box Coupon Program Website

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Why cant they just mix it?
Some analog, some digital.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I guess I am confused by some of the responses here

The set top converters here in the states will go for about $100 USD

Analog is not a more efficient signal it takes up far more bandwidth
than a digital signal..

Analog is more robust overall as it is analog there are no packets to
drop therefore you get signal no matter what though sometimes marginalized to the point of not being watchable it still comes in even if a little bit, while digital if packets are being dropped you get drop out and pixelation that is not to say that error correction and checking involved in the three modulation techniques used here in the states are not doing their job just that if they are marginalized just a little bit they have issues in case anyone wanted to know the three forms of modulation being used are

Over the air TV 8VSB 8 level Vistigal Sidebnad
Cable QAM Quadrature Amplitude Modulation
Direct TV QPSK Quadrature Phase Shift Keying

Europe, parts of South America, and much of Asia and Australia/New Zealand
COFDM Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing

Japan uses a modified form of COFDM

I am not sure how many of you remember how well cell phones worked when they were analog I used to hardly ever drop a call well since it all went digital I drop calls all the time (frustrates me to no end) anyway expect the same with DTV if you have a marginal Analog signal you will probably have not signal at all after the DTV switch

also DTV doesn't make the programs you watch more trackable as they are not connected to anything but an antenna additionally you will more likely than not have to replace your antenna if you use one...

another note if you don't like it don't buy it we don't watch much TV in this household there a few programs that we watch so we will either watch them online or wait for the DVD box set just isn't worth it for us and you wouldn't believe the time we have for other things

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
They doing that right now. Not everyone can buy a HDTV. They are to poor buy one. Also right now you have to have the HDbox to get HD. It doesn't come through lines themself at all.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kennethmd

HD TV and DTV are two different things all together DTV is in regards to how the signal is transmitted.. HD TV has to do with the Definition of the picture they are different, though Digital Transmission and encoding make HD TV much more efficient as you can fit 6 standard Definition channels into the bandwidth that just one HD TV signal uses

A standard Definition TV or NTSC channel takes up 143.2 Mb/s
while an HD TV signal takes up 1485 Mb/s
the above is without MPEG2 encoding which can drop the bandwidth for HD TV down to 40Mb/s using the SMPTE 310M standard.

you can see the difference is not just marginal but quite large..
this is where digital signals really do make a difference you can fit som much more on the fiber than you can an analog Coax

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The bottom line is that there is a small percentage of people that are not already getting a digital signal. It should not be a big deal to get the last few into the digital age. This will free up the analog bands for police, fire and wireless. I am missing what the big deal is?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by shiman
Why cant they just mix it?
Some analog, some digital.

Because they've been doing that since the 90's, and it's gotta stop at some point.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
My husband bought a hugh HD Flat Screen TV. The dog hates it, hides his head in the pillows on the couch.

The picture is nice but the thing is just so obtrusive.

You have to ask yourself, why is the government mandating this? Shouldn't people have a choice? I can't help but think mandatory HD TV has a sinister agenda instore for humanity.

www.evpreversespeaking.com...

---------------------

Yes, the forced conversion to High Definition TV means we will only be able to receive a digital TV signal instead of an analog TV signal starting in 2009. They will then have the ability to manipulate that digital signal in any direction desired, for any purpose desired.

In addition, there is little doubt in my mind that all of the newer wide-screen High Definition TVs you find in retail outlets today have both tiny cameras and audio detection devices covertly installed within them so the NSA can both SEE and HEAR everything that goes on in your home.

The conversion boxes that they are offering with those free government coupons will surely have the same detection and surveillance devices which I assume are being installed in the newer HD TVs.

Do I have proof? No, but common sense tells me this is where it's going and it fits with the escalating evidence of the Big Brother, police state controlled society which we are being forced into.

I'm EQUALLY confident that covert monitoring/tracking chips have been installed in all automobiles manufactured since perhaps 1990 (maybe even beginning in the late 80s).

How to get around it? I haven't thought it out much, but here's a few ideas off the top of my head:

1. Don't buy the newer HD TVs and don't get their conversion box. Forget getting TV from broadcast or cable or satellite directly. One idea is to watch TV shows from your older computer with currently availabe TV reception hardware/software (newer computers probably have the surveillance devices installed) or send the video and audio from the computer into the AV jacks on your TV or VCR.

2. Watch TV shows from programs previously recorded on VHS tapes or from DVDs using your older TV and VCR equipment. This could become a cottage industry overnight if enough people become aware of the covert surveillance agenda riding along on the coattails of the forced conversion to High Definition digital television.

3. You can listen to only television audio from many inexpensive radios that include the TV audio bands from channel 2-13 In most cases, audio is good enough for me. I'm mainly looking for those few comedy offerings here and there that will provide a laugh. Most sitcoms are just awful: 'boring' or 'banal' would be complimentary descriptions.

It's also possible that some bright boys out there will be able to find and neutralize the camera and audio detection devices being installed and render them useless. Time will tell.

I'm certainly not going to buy a HD TV or get that conversion box. 95% of what you see on broadcast TV is total garbage anyway. It's intentionally designed to turn a person into an intimidated, dumbed-down, brainwashed zombie. So who needs it?

People who dismiss this development as paranoia on my part are simply living in a fool's paradise. Total 24/7 Big Brother surveillance is closing in on us much faster than most people realize. I try to warn people of what my intuition tells me in order to help them prepare or deflect the takeover agenda. I warned readers on Sep. 23, 2001 that 911 was an inside job and that it would herald greater police state encroachment and loss of Constitutional guarantees, besides being stuck with the bill to pay for our glorious transformation into a Nazi-style police state. . At the time, I got tons of e-mails accusing me of being crazy to think that the government was behind the destruction of the World Trade centers. Seven years later, I wonder how many of those accusers would write me again saying the same thing? ...Ken Adachi]

educate-yourself.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ok.. Again I shall ask:

If they have camera's in the boxes or in the TV's themselves ------- Who in the govt is going to watch millions and millions of camera feeds? I mean come on!!!!!
Not to mention, all you would have to do is open either up and take them out.

I have a very open mind, but this is really getting into super-duper paranoia world.

Nothing sinister about it folks. Relax!

top topics

join