It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan calls for truce with Taliban after secret talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Pakistan calls for truce with Taliban after secret talks

www.guardian.co.uk

A truce between Taliban fighters and Pakistani forces appeared to be holding today after a deal struck during covert talks between government officials, militants and tribal elders.

The late Benazir Bhutto's party condemned any dialogue between the government and Taliban militants, who Pakistani officials blame for the assassination of their former leader.

Few details have emerged about the terms of the ceasefire, announced yesterday by a spokesman for Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, a militant umbrella group, after weeks of heavy fighting.

The government did not confirm a truce but the interior minister, Hamid Nawaz, said the national leadership was ready for a dialogue with the Taliban. Two officials confirmed that talks took place before the ceasefire was announced.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
thepost.com.pk
www.dailytimes.com.pk
www.nationalpost.com

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I did not see this posted anywhere else but it does seem to be important information.

We are fighting against the Taliban so it make little sense that our "ally" to cut some backroom deal with the Taliban. Perhaps Pakistan can no longer be consider as an overt ally of the US. Bottom line is that this does not bode well for stability.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on how this might effect the US miliary efforts in Afganistan.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-2-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Your right about this does not bode well. I really can not think of a single time when a cease fire like this has really done anything good in the ME. All it really will do is allow the Taliban to re group and re arm. That is just an opinion but time will tell.
If it matter I do hope I am wrong and this will be a lasting peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Indeed....we give soo much money to Pakistan to battle the Taliban and other terrorist groups..... then this is the out come! I don't have much hope of this truce holding together at all....we shall see.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Surprise, Suprise....

A country that is almost 100% Muslim siding with the Taliban[Muslim] against the US, imagine that.

You would think that all those high paid think tanks and consultants could have seen this coming. So now the Muslim coalition is a little stronger. After Iraq, then Iran then Pakistan. Is the coalition of the willing going to take on the whole ME?

The Crusades are alive and well. Juan McCain has alluded to war, war and more war in his campaign speeches.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Tribalism is in full effect.....I've never thought that Pakistan was really working with the US on the counter-terror front, especially after the A.Q Khan nightnare.

top topics

join