It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should Nuke Mars now, not later.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

What is wrong is that you me and everyone else has NO IDEA about mars and the effects of a nuke there.

I already said that we don't know much about mars! Yeah we sent a robot there, that doesn't make us all knowing! No offence but the word ignorance reeks in this subject, we are all ignorant to what mars has, the knowledge that lays there, why would we send a nuke there if we are too ignorant to know what mars is all about.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
the sun and the planets and their moons all share harmonic properties
directly related to their size and position and speed and travel path.

destroy one of relatively large mass , and watch the harmonic balance of our solar system
turn to chaos.

nice go...you just probably fried the solar system as we know it.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
What an apalling thought. You think a nuke is the best way to start the teraforming proccess?

My only question for you...once we've blown up our nuke(s) what exactly is suppose to stop the water from refreezing?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hey you know what that is a good idea NOT. cause do you think reptilians would even let us do that id ont even think so. why would they want us having like another earth to be on and you cant send misles if there no goverment to send them- cause who would send them thats just so stupid some body is going to have to send them there.
and besides anyways that idea isnt to good cause when jesus comes back (or if he is already back idunno cause reptilians are here anyhow jesus is probably trying to save us from the reptiles in the goverment. but anyways, how would nooks even help the atsmospher on that planet are you saying nooks can help our global warming cause then thats a good idea too

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATruGod
What an apalling thought. You think a nuke is the best way to start the teraforming proccess?

My only question for you...once we've blown up our nuke(s) what exactly is suppose to stop the water from refreezing?

Don't worry about that!!! we will just make the sun hotter!! or bring mars closer. hmmm how many nukes could do that????

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by TheoOne
How about nuke Africa and Middle East before nuking Mars?

Nah lets nuke the moon!!! (Just adding to the crazy comments)

You might laugh at this but during the cold war plans were drawn up to nuke the moon for real - it was called project A-119 .

I think the official line was to throw up a cloud of the moons surface that would hang for a long time so scientists could observe it through telescopes and use Spectral Analysis .... But the real reason would more likely of been to stick a finger up at the commies, they were itching to nuke something, can't start the mother of all wars though - a mushroom cloud that the whole world would see for weeks will do nicely!

But nuke Martian polar ice?? where has that idea come from? I got a better idea, sling a tow rope around it and drag it into this orbit..
it would make more sense... say your granny lived on earth but you lived on Mars, rather than take a long expensive trip through space, my way you simply hope off one planet and hang around till the next one comes along!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Yes I've heard of that before, us humans? what will we do next? lol

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
How about a thermonuclear device instead? Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt a hydrogen bomb have no radioactive fallout?

I agree with the terraforming sentiments, its just that there must be a better way than chucking a dirty great atomic bomb at the planet we hope to live on.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
hey you know what maybe we should nook mars cause of that stuff going on there cause i seen pictures of like trees and big foots and stuff on mars and people always say there are like snak e people and lifes on mars and in mars. so we should probably like kill them with nooks and stuff or they might want to like attack us like remember remembrance day when they came here well thats probably waht will happen

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
How about a thermonuclear device instead? Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt a hydrogen bomb have no radioactive fallout?

A hydrogen bomb is still a nuke - so it will still have fall out. The idea is to use the nuke as a trigger to a fusion reaction in the Hydrogen - the fusion reaction doesn't it's self have fall out (might be wrong there) but the fission reaction from the nuke trigger would as normal. Over all it should be cleaner in a fallout to power ratio than a standard nuke, but I wouldn't be drinking no Martian nuke warmed water that's for sure.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
[snip] it; solve the problems at its roots!
Nuke The Earth, Eliminate the Human race and the majority of every other species on it! Problem solved!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There are never any guarantees in this world- or on mars....

if you launch a nuke into space with a target of mars- theres nothing that says that nuke can't be pulled off course and then who knows what....

what if we had to go to mars within the next 50 years? There may still be nuclear fallout from that nuke- and the atmosphere would be worse than it was before...there are other options. I personally believe that although Im sure the atmosphere is rough- there could be breathable air and I'm sure the gov't knows just doesnt want to say it because that would conclude there could be life. Mars was at one time close to earth and for all we know could still hold water as well as oxygen.

The problem with us getting somewhere else is we are never going to agree with all the plans and theres bound to be some arguments and disputes that would compromise the whole plan. A nuke to mars is unrealistic but props to you for thinking of a great topic that stimulates the mind. If we're doomed- we're inevitably doomed wherever we go. Thats life.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There's a few problems with your proposal there Earth2,

A) The nuke would evaporate a large portion of the water and alot of ice will simply be blown away without melting due to blast effect, on top of that, it would freeze again!
B) You would completely irradiate the water supply you just created

The only way to conceivably terraform Mars is to create a greenhouse effect, you would have to put a lot of CO2 in the air.

Better safe your nukes for those space rocks, with a little good aiming you could bring it in our orbit and we can mine the rock for it's resources and perhaps even build a small city on it.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
How about we nuke nothing. The world would be a safer place without Nukes. How do you think we got are asteroid Belt?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Mannnnnn,

I used to work for a rent-to-own company. I had to work with people like that all the time. Seriously, they would basically use their trailor as a giant dumpster, and when it was full, they'd just move.

It was so disgusting. We went into one house, picked up a TV and left, and when we got out we were covered in fleas - and who knows what else.

Another house we pulled the couch away from the wall and it was covered in cockroaches. Their child had gone to the doctor because something had chewed a hole in his eyelid. We talked to the pest exterminator and he said it was probably the roaches.

I wanted to puke.

Sorry for the side story, just wanted to share my info on people who foul their nests.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I say forget politics and send the missiles.

And I find it hard to believe we dont have the technology.

Send the missiles and we will learn from the mistakes we will likely make.
We should begin the process asap imo.

Would we have enough time to do these things if we discover a big rock headed our way and only had a few years, or less, to prepare?

Waow, how optimistic. Do you seriously think we, people of Earth, are going to escape our planet in gigantic starships to colonize Mars after our nukes have created an atmosphere ? I'm a big Sci-Fi fan, you know, but at least take into consideration the fact that it MAY not happen the way it did in "TOTAL RECALL". This was just a movie. More, what do you do with radiation? Anyway, if an asteroid is to hit earth in the following years, it's not time to fly away. It's time to DIG

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Nuking Mars is not going to have the effect your looking for..unless you are looking to make the conditions worse for human survival. Earth has life that can at least "rebuild" after a nuke, Mars does nto have this. That radiation will just spread. Any water that was there (say it survived) would be poisoned.

2 things Mars needs. 1) a shield from the Sun. The magnetic field it currently has is so weak it's worthless. 2) a thicker atmosphere. That itself would increase the tempurature around the planet.

Plantlife must flurioush on Mars first. So flooding the air with CO2 would be a great way to start. CO2 for the greenhouse effect, CO2 for the plants to breath, plants then begin producing O2 and better soil...ect..ect.

I understand what you are trying to do, just the wrong path. Instead of forcing Mars to change, slowly work with nature to alter what is needed.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How exactly is nuking Mars going to create an atmosphere? Im really confused about the science in that little experiment....

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2

I say nuke Mars polar icecaps ASAP. Lets see what happens, maybe it will start the creation of an atmosphere on Mars...

Wouldn't work. Mars doesn't have a magnetic field to shield it from charged particle streaming from the Sun.

Said charged particles would eventually erode the atmosphere.

Presently, Mars cannot support an atmosphere much thicker than what it already has.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2I think we all agree Mars is our next best solution for a home.

Your argumention is flawless.

Of course Mars is way less likely to be hit by something than earth is.

oh wait.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join