It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should Nuke Mars now, not later.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
We all know a big space rock is going to hit Earth sooner or later, or some kind of Earth level extinction is going to happen one day.
So we should start preparing for an alternative home as soon as possible. I think we all agree Mars is our next best solution for a home.

I say nuke Mars polar icecaps ASAP. Lets see what happens, maybe it will start the creation of an atmosphere on Mars.
I think these things take time and we have the capabilities so what the heck are we waiting on?

What can it hurt anyway, and think of the knowledge we could learn from such an experiment.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Or maybe we bring into our hands something we never wanted in the first place: whos going to get the land? the money involved, petty political differences. And to boot, our technology sucks, why send an errant Nuclear Missile into space when it could something we didnt want to (idk what we'd hit either).

If we nuke the ice caps wont it just cause radiation, etc?

The Human Race as of this present moment, does not have the technology, spritual thought, or intellect as to Terraforming an entire planet which we dont even know can support a piece of the human race.

IMHO Of Course.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I say forget politics and send the missiles.

And I find it hard to believe we dont have the technology.

Send the missiles and we will learn from the mistakes we will likely make.
We should begin the process asap imo.

Would we have enough time to do these things if we discover a big rock headed our way and only had a few years, or less, to prepare?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I understand what your trying to convey, but it just wont work in the present status quo of the world. Too many differences, too many rich people, and its these petty differences that already make Earth crap, why make the same mistakes on another planet? Especially a perfect near mirror one?

Its just we are not yet a competent species to be allowed to do this. Not just yet......

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Yea but sometimes things like this have to start somewhere, maybe even a thread is how it will start. It definetly wont happen with a cant happen attitude.

Ill bet if there was a big rock headed towards your telescope you would have a different opinion.

I think it is possible, especially now more than ever before.

Think of the things we could learn from such a worldy nuclear attack, and might even create an atmosphere at the same time.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
How about nuke Africa and Middle East before nuking Mars?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

How about we nuke your mom! Zing!

...Seriously, man, what the hell?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

I hope you were just kidding because that is something a serial killer would say.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
How about nuke Africa and Middle East before nuking Mars?

Nah lets nuke the moon!!! (Just adding to the crazy comments)

Anyway to the original topic, I would say before doing something like nuking mars, we should know a LOOOOOOOT more about mars before even thinking about that. Knowledge is very important, and right now we have very little of that.

[edit on 10-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Perhaps we could get a giant laser and sign the moon for our birthday, with the hope that a large, dim, and indestructible man in a blue bodysuit doesn't interrupt, leaving us with an awkward "Cha" on the moon.

Myself, I'd rather we study Mars as it is, and work on cleaning up the mess we have here instead of planning a migration.

[edit on 10-2-2008 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think John McCain would agree with me on this one...

If we nuke Africa, and then move in and build up a civilization and therefore, everything is peaceful and organized.

And yes, I was being sarcastic, lol.

BTW, the idea of this subject sounds like "Nuke now, ask questions later".

[edit on 10-2-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Nuke now ask questions later? Not really.

We have already answered a lot of our questions years ago. Whats it going to hurt to try some experimenting, cant hurt. Mars is a 4 year travel, safely far away from us.

What other questions are there to ask? It would be to hard to send a lot of machinery over there capable of forming a breathable atmosphere on Mars.

However, how easy would it be to send some nukes to blow up the polar ice caps on Mars and release the frozen water.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This reminds me of The Simpsons...

Lisa - "...nuke the whales?'"

Nelson - "Eh, gotta nuke somethin"

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Forgive me, but your comments remind me of those who foul one nest / home / location after another, leaving a pile of garbage and filth in their wake for others to deal with.

They trash their house, max out their credit, fight with all the neighbours, jam the local sewerage pipes, poison and cut down the trees, destroy the lawn, smash the local playground equipment, break all their home's appliances, smash all their cars and wear all their clothes until they're filthy and rotten and then steal new ones from Target and leave their rags on the change-room floors.

And they do it repeatedly, lleaving garbage and destruction in their wake.

One day, the judge (might have been Judge Judy, come to think of it) wagged her finger sternly at the louts in the dock and said: ' No damn more ! The buck stops HERE ! '

The judge makes the family return to each site of their destruction, one after another. She places armed guards around them and forces the crud family to work 16 hour days, 7 days a week. She tells them she doesn't care HOW long it takes ... they are going to fix every damn one of their irresponsible and criminal actions.

So the crud family carries and hauls and scrubs and paints and boxes and stacks and carts.

Every day, bit by bit ... they erase the destruction and damage for which they're responsible. It takes YEARS !

When they're done, the Judge tells them to get out there now and work and save .. maybe one day they'll have enough for down payment on a trailer. If they do, there will be stringent inspections. Back-slide and they'll immediately be forced to once again repair their damage.

' You FIX what you've done ', the Judge tells them sternly, ' This is NOT a 'disposable planet ' you cretins. OTHERS have to live here after you !

Understand, Mr. Nuke-Happy ?

BEFORE we lay our dirty mits on Mars ... we FIRST fix the damage on THIS planet !

It's grow-up time. Believe it.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

For the record im not the type of person you went to lengths to describe.

I am, however, a person who wants a cleaner Earth.
But the reality is one day a big rock or ect. is going to cause an earth level extinction. I bet you wouldnt be worried about someones dirty house or careless ways when that happens.

And im not for making Mars a garbage heap but rather a green planet like Earth. Can you think of an easier way to get that water flowing again?
To me it seems to easy.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I feel that it would be wrong to blindly use nuclear weapons and very irresponsible! We could easily wipe out a bacteria that could help us terriform the planet or cure an illness or disease, or even wipe out any possible trace of a dead civilization or technology.

We need to establish a colony first, before we do anything, poke around for awhile and build a database on the planet.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I hope you were just kidding because that is something a serial killer would say.

Serial killers don't have a sense of ethics so I'd say the tag more applies to you.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
reply to post by TheoOne

And that comming from a person who thinks nothing of "throwing" an Atombomb at Mars... ever thought of the possible "Life on Mars" may be true?

I just carn't believe that this thread wasn't closed by now by the Mods... Life forms no matter how small have a right to exist.

I am disgusted that this is even a "alternative" for some people here on this forum.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Whats more important saving a germ on Mars or saving the human race?

Its been a long long time since a earth level extinction so the way I see it we are a ticking time bomb.

Dont get me wrong here folks but look at a bigger picture, I think we should act sooner than later. We finally have the tech.

Why wait another 50 years for NASA to set up a tiny capsule for a couple of astronauts, by then it may be to late. Procrastinators must unite!!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Why stop at Mars? Why not nuke Venus and Mercury and all the moons of Saturn and Jupiter?

Maybe by some chance, one of them will react to the nukes by creating an "Eden" for us

Seriously though, I think we'd have better luck terraforming if we get 1000 monkeys together to write a plan for it. Once they wrote the correct one, then we could have them write a code of ethics. I say, why not? Then we won't have to wait for our own maturity to rise or the scientists and politicians to make a plan we can accept.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join