It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real conspiracy, Right on our door-steps? The Scottish Oil cover-up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Recently I discovered this video

The Oil Cover-up

I filled with alot of emotion whilst watching this pice of film. Im told alot that the north sea oil (if Scotland bcame Independent) would not be worth alot, I suggest you think again. £850 bn.

Please note i am not looking for anyone posting comments about other factors of Scottish economy, this thread is about a real cover up thats it.

-I am not an Economist and quite frankly it is annoying when others who are not economists try to commnent on how Scotlands economy will suffer. Strange how the President of Scottish enterprise backs th Idea that an Independent Scotland would benifit the Scottish economy isn't it?-

Saor Alba

[edit on 10-2-2008 by Petrifiedmetal]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Petrifiedmetal

I would urge you to be cautious of the source, however. Of course the SNP are going to put a positive spin on a post-independence Scottish economy - that's what they want.

There are other sources (both partisan and non-partisan) that, on economic terms alone, do not feel that Scotland would be better off outside the Union. I'm sure a search on Google would yield plenty of results.

I know I drone on about sources and their value quite a lot in my posts; it flows from studying history, I guess, but more often than not those sources that come from people or organisations directly involved with one side or another of any given event are riddled with mistruths. And we're talking politics here... like it or not, the SNP is just another bunch of politicians. As we all know, politicians are pretty notorious for... shall we say 'being economical with the truth'. To think that the Scottish National Party are somehow more moral or less prone to spinning than other parties is ignorant and, to some extent, dangerous.

They're probably just better at hiding things!

[edit on 10/2/08 by Ste2652]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I wonder how Scots Nats view the Shetland separatists & the Orkney & Hebrides islanders who say they aren't interested in divorcing from the UK?

Scots Nat separatism ok when it comes to the UK but not for anyone else in relation to Scotland?
Double-standard?

[edit on 12-2-2008 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Im a Scottish nationalist and If the Orkney Islands broke away from us it would be a loss but in all honesty benifit the Scottish mainland in more ways....

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Petrifiedmetal]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
.....and if it meant that 'they' kept all of 'their' oil?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well by the time they switched pipe lines from Aberdeen (to whom to alot of alot of oil passes through), and established parliments etc. The oil would be near gone anyway.... But im sure those people would prefer if Scotland had the £850 Bn to distribute around Scotland rather than London not even giving Scotland even half back.

Also, Scotland could support itself with out the oil revenues... could Orkney? Could Shetland?

And Just like Scotland will have to do for its referendum, These islands will have to get it passed through parliment. Do you really believe the these Islands alone could pass such referendums? Because once Scotland achieves Independence, If we keep a similar political system to the one we have now theses "Orkney nationalist" will most likey have none or very little representation in comparrison to main-land Scotland who will wish to keep "IT'S" oil.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Petrifiedmetal]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Petrifiedmetal

Doesn't that mean the SNP cause is fundamentally hypocritical? After all, they want independence because they think Scotland would be better off independent... shouldn't they respect the right of the Shetlands and the Orkneys if they want to remain a part of the UK?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
By no means is it Hypocritical if Orkney and Shetland want to remain in the UK then 'they' had better vote 'NO' when the referendum comes along... But the problem (at least for unionists) is, these islands, like else where in Scotland will have SNP and other pro-Independence party supporters... There may even be one or two who just choose to vote for Independence even though they dont follow such parties....

Saor Alba

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
I wonder how Scots Nats view the Shetland separatists & the Orkney & Hebrides islanders who say they aren't interested in divorcing from the UK?

Scots Nat separatism ok when it comes to the UK but not for anyone else in relation to Scotland?
Double-standard?

[edit on 12-2-2008 by sminkeypinkey]

I believe they are discreetly swept under the carpet sminkey.....unfortunatly the SNP has made many promises that have appeased a great deal of people these days. Its quite sad when I see people mistaking patriotism with nationalism, IMO scotland cannot and should not be independant.

I still laugh at the various people in scotland making a case for independance...."We're being bossed around by englanders..." even though we have a scottish PM and quite a few scottish MP's in key places of power.

If the SNP does come to power....I can see some radical changes in this country....for one thing....even if we do get the oil....how are we supposed to defend it with the left overs we'll be dumped with from the RN. Because I highly doubt the RN's going to hand us over half of thier type 45's, can anyone else see that happening?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by devilwasp

I think, should they be that dumb to go ahead and be independent, that the Scots would not be given anything by the MoD. Maybe the Scottish Regiments, but even now, the UK maintains Irish regiments recruited from the Republic, as well as other foreign unit, so even that isn't a forgone conclusion.

i really don;t understand how the Scots think we're taking all "their" oil money. Before the Oil was discovered, Scotland was dirt poor (and in many cases, still is) and was supported with revenue raised elsewhere in the UK for a long time. Even now, they get £1500 per head more in public spending than England, even though the population is much smaller thus contributing far less in taxes, yet they still whine.

Also, another thing they forget is that it was the then SCOTTTISH parliament that came begging to form a Union in 1707, because they bankrupted the country trying to be a colonial power.

Isn;t it funny the SNP don't mention that? They just portray us as conquerors which isn't the case one bit. In fact, Scotland invaded England more times that we did them, quite often with European allies to try and seize the English crown.

And WE'RE the bad guys? Come on..... The SNP are lying bastards and what they have in the pipeline will ruin Scotland.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I think, should they be that dumb to go ahead and be independent, that the Scots would not be given anything by the MoD. Maybe the Scottish Regiments, but even now, the UK maintains Irish regiments recruited from the Republic, as well as other foreign unit, so even that isn't a forgone conclusion.

I remember reading an old paper a year or two ago about a defence agreement....it said something about scotland getting "its share" of the defence forces. I'm guessing that'll mean we get "something"....

i really don;t understand how the Scots think we're taking all "their" oil money. Before the Oil was discovered, Scotland was dirt poor (and in many cases, still is) and was supported with revenue raised elsewhere in the UK for a long time. Even now, they get £1500 per head more in public spending than England, even though the population is much smaller thus contributing far less in taxes, yet they still whine.

I dunno, we had some darn good sheep farms and make good Angus beef

And for "scottish oil" , I think they argue that its inside "scottish" territorial waters (atleast acording to UNCLOS it is...) Now the real question is this....if they do go, will there be a deal or will england just simply say: Sod ya....we've got our own rigs.

Also, another thing they forget is that it was the then SCOTTTISH parliament that came begging to form a Union in 1707, because they bankrupted the country trying to be a colonial power.

You'll find most people arent taught taht in history today....strange huh....theres a lot our kids arent taught. Plus stu you have to remember that I doubt those scottish MP's where thinking completely in the best intrest of scotland...

Isn;t it funny the SNP don't mention that? They just portray us as conquerors which isn't the case one bit. In fact, Scotland invaded England more times that we did them, quite often with European allies to try and seize the English crown.

The SNP are lying bastards.....they have tricked and lied thier way into power.....they play england down because the masses dont know better. On the part about scotland invading England....well no offence stu but your just too easy to start a war with

Darn morris dancing , warm beer drinking heathens that you englishmen all are

And WE'RE the bad guys? Come on..... The SNP are lying bastards and what they have in the pipeline will ruin Scotland.

I thanked god they didnt get enough seats to ruin my country completely.....just wait until they think having destroyers is too "warlike" ...

top topics

join