It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rig evacuated after woman's bomb 'hoax'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Rig evacuated after woman's bomb 'hoax'

www.telegraph.co.uk

A 23-year-old female North Sea oil rig worker sparked a bomb alert on Sunday that resulted in a £500,000 evacuation operation.

The operator of the Safe Scandinavia accommodation platform called for the evacuation of all 539 staff on board after the alarm was raised.

Around 10 military, coastguard and civilian helicopters were scrambled to fly to the site 130 miles north-east of Aberdeen, and two RAF planes were sent to co-ordinate the operation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
So you're telling me that EVERYONE took the word of this woman and not one single person decided to at least try to take a look at this 'device"?

It's possible the woman was right in her assumption. it could have been something she'd not seen before but was common knowledge to others.

I think the total cost of 500,000 might just serve them right for a typical case of 'look before you leap'.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
And if they HAD gone to look at it, and it was real and she set it off, you'd be screaming about how they should have evacuated before they checked it. Who's to say that it wasn't enclosed in something where they couldn't see it. And how many of the rig's personnel do you think are trained bomb technicians that would recognize a bomb if they saw one?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I do realize what you're saying Zaphod, but if she could see it, then so could others.

Looking at a bomb wont set it off, and depending on where it was, I'm sure there must have been someone with a set of binoculars on board.

And if it was observable then surely the person in charge of the entire rig should know almost every piece of kit on board. Even a description of the 'device' might have helped...

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
And if it was inside of a room, hidden in a metal box? What kind of description are you gonna get then? A suspicious object could be a box sitting where it wasn't supposed to be. Or a box sitting there with an odd smell coming from it. There are a LOT of ways that you could hide a device where you can't get a look at it, and the only way to know if you can even open it is to x-ray it and pray you can see the wires.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Have you bothered to read the report or are you just having a dig at my comments to see if you can kill a thread and mark it up on the side of your little plane?

The woman who reported it was a member of the catering staff and security is so tight that even small bottles of aspirin are take off of you before you leave the mainland and given back to you on the rig.

They're even speculating that the 'threat' was highly improbable due to the fact that an oil rig isn't exactly an easy or marked target.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yes, I read the entire article, BEFORE I posted that second reply. She said she "saw a possible suspicious device". How do you get that it was something that looked just like a bomb laying out in the open.
But you know, you're right. I'm only here on ATS to kill threads, and I don't have ANY experience with any sort of explosives or detecting them or anything else. Sorry for bothering to post in your thread.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
By all means, feel free to post as you wish.

I'm no expert either, yet an oil rig full of people who know and use the equipment daily, with a very tight security procedure just suddenly fell prey to a person who works in catering.

Now imagine a place lie an airport.
In such a place I have to agree that literally anything could be a device of some deadly kind.

The closest an oil rig ever got into danger was when Del and Rodney Trotter bought one.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Paranoia is an essential tool in keeping up this War of Terror.

And the operation only cost about $$ 1 million.

Guess it's nothing compared to what the traders made from that ?unexpected? jump from around 100 to 110 a barrel. Hmm... ?? ..could it be staged for that purpose, hiking prices?

Any trick in the book counts these days.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
just to update this story....

it seems the woman in question was recounting a dream she had about a bomb on the oil rig to someone else and was overheard. the woman has been charged with 'breach of the peace' though she has entered no plea and she has been remanded to a hospital!

all i can say to this is...

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

i have a contact on the platform, he says that she was put in a straight jacket and sedated,
she was at breakfast and she recounted a dream she had the night before, roughly one hour later the rumour had spread throughout the rig , forcing the people in charge to take it seriously.

i am trying to get my contact to join us here on ATS so we can get it from the horses mouth so to speak. he is now back on the mainland.

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

that would be great if you could get the person on here.

this story has turned into a nightmare (literally) for the poor girl!

i hope she sues their asses off for the way they've treated her.

imagine how many members here would be carted off to the padded room just for voicing out loud their dreams or even thoughts - or perhaps that's why so few have replied back to this thread since the update ... they're too scared to!

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Martin Luther King said: I had dream... and they killed him.

Sure, be careful who you tell them your dreams.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
reply to post by justyc

i have a contact on the platform, he says that she was put in a straight jacket and sedated,
she was at breakfast and she recounted a dream she had the night before, roughly one hour later the rumour had spread throughout the rig , forcing the people in charge to take it seriously.

OMG! This is just crazy. So this lady did nothing but share her dream, every one ELSE went bizerk and she's in a rubber room??? Nice.

new topics

top topics

join