It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online bids for 'rare' Wispa bar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

An online bidding war is taking place for a five-year-old Wispa bar.

Student Rebecca Wells, from Stoke-on-Trent, found the out-of-date Cadbury bar down the back of a sofa.

So far bidding for the bar has reached more than £200 - hundreds of times its original sale price.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So there's one way of making some cash.. buy loads of chocolate bars today and sell them 5 years later.

I've got loads of empty sweet wrappers from over 10 years ago.. There seemed to be a burst of different and extraordinary wrapper designs to boost sales.. so I had bought some and very carefully opened them...saved the wrappers.

I knew someone who used to walk over old land fills when the council turned them over to release methane gas. He'd collect thousands of old sweet wrappers and the like and then he'd sell them off for 1 GBP each..

They're then sold on to collectors or film/TV studios who need them for historical programmes etc.

So, start collecting today.. be a bit better off in 5 years or more..

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Sure it sounds like an easy way to make money, but there's just one problem.

There is no way a chocolate bar is going to last more than 5 days in my house, let alone 5 years.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
lol.. my chocy bars don't last 5 minutes..

but it's not the chocolate that's important..it's the wrappers..

for collectors and film studios, it wont take them too long to make up some form of block that will sit inside the wrapper to fill it out.

And it's not just choccy wrappers, but cereal boxes, vegetable packets, electrical goods boxes etc.

Almost anything that displays a product form yesteryear is of value to someone in advertising, film, TV, or collections and museums.

Personally, I think it's quite an interesting 'antique collectors' hobby in comparison to old worm ridden furniture that stinks of moth balls

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Takes up quite a bit less space too, I'd imagine.

Just the wrappers, huh? Interesting. You've just given me an idea to take to my boss on Monday, we have a collection of all of our old packaging and labels and I've made a few jokes about us opening a museum.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
You're welcome Duzey.

Wish I could show you all the wrappers I've got.
Got a lot of one-off specials of different choc bars..

Check these two out...

www.chocolatewrappers.info...

And this 2nd one has a lot of the types I've got... any that have special adverts or promos on them are worth more. Centenary types are extra value too..
www.mikescandywrappers.com...

Enjoy

new topics

top topics

join