It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cut Fiber Cable Solved - Advanced NSA Monitoring Operation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This most likely is a global monitoring operation by the NSA on a international scale - but how would this work- why would the NSA need to cut anything in order to tap it? To fully understand this one would need some understanding of the mechanisms and behavioral methods of Fiber Optics - something little known and understood to the public.... And WHY the cable had to be cut completely in a distractionary method in order to establish the type of monitoring the NSA desired....

The USS Jimmy Carter (a seawolf class submarine) - was specially designed to be able to pull a undersea fiber cable up into her hull for tapping purposes.... You can read all about it on the internet in a detailed article from ZDnet in 2004 news.zdnet.com...

What is *NOT* understood at all then is why was the cable cut at all (and the line not just serreptiously tapped..) - and this deals with the technicalities of how fiber optic cables operate... The small 'hairs' sticking out of the above photo if bent enough will emit some of their energy into open space as will be explained again for emphasis..

So one would think it would simply be a matter of the sub pulling the cable up / splicing in a 'T - point' - with all the target fibers having a microbend in them for detection purposes and then placing the cable neatly all packaged down on the bottom of the ocean - the cable is never 'disrupted' and noone would know the difference... Then the NSA can happily have something for their supercomputers to munch away on for their world wide monitoring grids.... But in reality that type of tap WILL NOT WORK - why? The reason is because of the QOS monitoring technology in the switches on both ends of the link which will detect minute changes in line quality.... So by adding in this microbend for monitoring purposes you have just introduced loss into the link - and this microbend is easily detectable by OTDR equipment.. And if this bend is detected someone may send out a cable repair ship and discovered a fiber cable 'leaching into their signal' - It becomes a 'slop job' similar to your neighbour T-splicing into your cable TV and your channels are all suddenly snowy because of the degraded signal....

The M600 OTDR or "optical time domain reflectometer" tests an optical fiber link, while having access to only one end of the link, by generating short pulses of light, sampling reflected light as a function of time, and converting these samples into a graph or "trace" of insertion loss versus distance. Based on the shape of the trace the M600 can locate and analyze fiber link "events" such as connections, splices, bends, and breaks. Check it out yourself www.americantechsupply.com...

So you have just spent $MILLIONS$ on a splice operation that was easily detected and picked up with a standard test tool used by communication technicians - and the cable splice ship is now on its way thinking its going to repair a 'bend' which is actually your T-Splice it does not work - and your agency is about to be exposed, and some corrupt politicians are about to get hanged that signed off on the whole operation....

THE PROPER WAY TO TAP A FIBER FOR SPYING PURPOSES...

Instead of doing this in a manner that will have you wearing egg face in the world community you do it far more professionally - you find a point in the link with natural wear - like the cable rubbing on the ships anchor which supposedly was the case 8.3km off Alexandria, Egypt... Then you preposition your Splice Sub down the link a few kilometers (or eve

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
THE PROPER WAY TO TAP A FIBER FOR SPYING PURPOSES...

Instead of doing this in a manner that will have you wearing egg face in the world community you do it far more professionally - you find a point in the link with natural wear - like the cable rubbing on the ships anchor which supposedly was the case 8.3km off Alexandria, Egypt... Then you preposition your Splice Sub down the link a few kilometers (or even farther) and have it pull up the cable into its hull and prepare it for a 'passive repeater splice' - aka a INVISIBLE REPEATER... But the only way to install the invisible repeater into the circuit is to actually CUT the fiber requiring a second distractionary cut - so in your splicer Sub you have your top technicians on standby to install the super-advanced invisible repeater device - and at the precise moment the Special Ops Seal Teams or a Night Raider group use a very small charge to rupture the cable at a point just enough to make it look like it naturally break against the abrasive object on the ocean floor.... The invisible repeater is installed becoming undetectable to even a OTDR shot - and by this method the cable repair ship comes along and finds its "break" a couple weeks later. As they repair it the fiber comes back online - but a actual T-Split far more advanced and undetectable by normal methods has been installed.... And this is the far preferred method but requires a full cut of the fiber....

Only ONE of the cables in the 9 cuts was cut at 2 points - this may have been so for a particular reason..... Possibly some of the cuts were to distract the repair ships into chasing other distractionary cuts while the target fiber is worked upon - possibly inbetween where the one cable was cut at two points... It must be realized that techicians can rapidily and easily fire OTDR signals down a broken cable from only one end and this would be disruptive to the Invisible Repeater operation...

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Just curious but why would they want to cut 5 so close together and draw quite a lot of attention? Why not start 5 years ago and cut 1 per year and do it when an anchored ship is in the area to blame that? Doesn't seem like a very secret operation to me.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
Just curious but why would they want to cut 5 so close together and draw quite a lot of attention? Why not start 5 years ago and cut 1 per year and do it when an anchored ship is in the area to blame that? Doesn't seem like a very secret operation to me.

Depends how urgent the actions is, and this does seem like an act of urgency to me.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi

Originally posted by jfj123

Depends how urgent the actions is, and this does seem like an act of urgency to me.

Yes it's a bit of a weird situation. I was willing to believe 1,2 or even 3 cables cut being an accident but 5 seems so improbable ! Maybe I'm wrong and it's just one of those weird coincidences???

So I agree that if it was intentional, it wasn't done with finesse which would make me think urgent. But what could be so urgent that would require the tapping of that many lines and that much code all at once?

To me, the whole situation just doesn't make sense whether it be accidental (huge coincidence like winning the lotto 2 times in a row) or whether it be done intentionally.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Is there any proof behind your hypothesis?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent Styx

A hypothesis, by definition, doesn't require proof.

I think it's a very thought-provoking hypothesis, actually.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The cables being cut was not in effort to tap into them. The purpose was to cause all traffic to be re-routed through lines that are currently monitored by Program Echelon et al.

This also causes a delay which can be used to take advantage of the stock markets. Buy the same stock simultaneously from New York with a partner in Asia doing the same and you can make a generous percentage over and above the original purchase price by using the delay... How?

...The stock price in Asia rises in value before the "buy" comes in from New York, the result is you get more for less. Half of you purchase (from new york) gets you a more expensive stock as the price and value of your New York Shares actually rises on it's way to Asia. This is only possible because of the delay created in the flow of info due to the cutting of the cables
Think about who would be doing this...
Good thread, I just thought I'd let you know.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I found this article on inforwars and thought I would share it. It is about this same story..

www.infowars.com...

more from infowars..

Mike Wendland
The Detroit Free Press
February 6, 2008

The cable breaks have been causing a growing buzz on tech blogs and drawing attention from conspiracy theorists, who suspect everything from information warfare to terrorism to sabotage by the United States to take out Internet connections to Iran, whose connectivity indeed has been pretty much blacked out for most of the past week.

The breaks have been in the Middle East and Asia and have caused widespread disruptions, especially in India. They’ve had little to no effect in the United States, except for users trying to communicate with people in the affected areas. Most of the huge tech firms in India that do outsourced programming and data entry for U.S. and European insurance, banking and medical companies have not been seriously disrupted because they have used alternate land- or satellite-based private connections.

Dragging ship anchors caused by rough waters in the eastern Mediterranean were the initial suspicion, but Egyptian authorities repairing some of the breaks today said they have reviewed onshore cameras of the cable locations and could see no maritime traffic in the area when the breaks occurred.

Two of the severed lines are owned by the India-based FLAG company that has assembled a team of 30, including telecommunication engineers and Egyptian government and Navy officials. They’re working on a repair ship at the FLAG Europe-Asia site off the coastal city of Alexandria.

Those breaks have affected more than 85 million Internet users in India, Pakistan, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Sudan, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. Egyptian officials say those breaks may not be fixed until the weekend. Meanwhile, a crew of 50 off the coast of Dubai says it will take them about a week to repair a damaged fiber optic.

-ChriS

[edit on 12-2-2008 by BlasteR]

[edit on 12-2-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It also reminds me of a past story about the government ordering hardwiring keyloggers into laptop computers during the manufacturing process. (from October 2005). Here is the link..

www.infowars.com...

Still going on? Maybe.

-ChriS

top topics

join