It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

evading thermal imaging and radar detection

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
How about a hollow log or tree. As long as line of sight is obscured that is.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Best way to get around radar detection is to either absorb the radar signals so they dont bounce back, or to jam the incomming radar signals and throw back a more powerful and scattering signal so as to confuse and difuse the return signature.

Best way to avoid thermal detection is to be at lower temperature than the surroundings. There are extremely sensitive thermal sensing devices that can detect heat from sources sitting in 100+ below zero temps.

One example of that is the Themis IR imaging sensor mounted on the Odyssey orbiter taking IR thermal images of Mars. Night time temps at the surface get well below -150* and the sensor can still detect heat signatures.

Of course, you could always find an area where the surrounding temperatures are alot higher than your body heat. Thus the sensor will pick up the hotter signatures. But you could still be detected because within that hotter zone, there will be the "cool spot"...or you..and that would be obvious on a FLIR screen!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I have a minor background in physics and electronics and my hunch would be that a blanket with a few sheets of aluminum on the inside and a mesh of vegetation such as leaves on the outside to match the ambient temperatures and provide camoflage and avoid the "black hole" contrast should provide enough sheilding to evade most casual thermal imagining scans such as flybys. The reason being that thermal radiation is very good at penetrating through objects, like when you sit by a fireplace and can feel your bones warming-thermal radiation can pentrate several inches through flesh, if you could see on that wavelength the stove would be white hot and it's emissions would light up the walls and stuff in the walls. Then when you take some sheets of aluminum foil over your hand and hold it next to the stove you feel almost no heat. Aluminum foil is highly thermal reflective(look it up) and cheap, but I wouldn't trust mythbusters on it though, behind every garbage can is a critic and in every garbage can is a debunker. If used a person would want to make damn sure that they were totally snug inside the blanket, it would be like you were trying to hide a 1000watt worklight at night tucked into a blanket except you are teh light source, you'd have to really rap yourself up in the stuff with not the tiniest crack for light to show out and you'd want to exhale against the ground to cool down your breathe or just hold it I don't know might be simplier just to pretend your on their side and pray.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have never heard of this to be true, and I have done some research on the thermal subject.

One thing that does work: Mylar

Mylar reflects about 94% of the light.
One of the best materials on the market for light proofing.

Mylar is a product that serves many purposes. The insulation industry developed this product to withstand severe temperatures. It acts as a moisture barrier as well as a reflector. The United States Navy uses Mylar aboard all of its Freight ships, Cruisers, and Destroyers.

Mylar comes in several different types:
White

Black

Metalized

Aluminized

Dimpled Metalized is available also.

Threaded Aluminized (reinforced)

What we OGer's are interested in is the obvious, we want to wrap our grow space, large or small, with the best reflective material available. Aluminized or Metalized Mylar.

Mylar is a chemical resistant, polyester film that is mostly tear resistant depending on mil. The reinforced Mylar is almost impossible to tear. It can withstand temperatures of up to 200 degrees Celsius, Mylar is also electrical resistant and fire retardant.

Unlike foil, mylar lays flat without the crinkles and creases if handled with care. Mylar WILL not create concentrated hot spots.

Material Gauges are as follows. 001", 002", 003", 004", 005", 007", 010", 014".

Most Hydroponic shops only carry 001" and 002" mil. Which is all you need if your using as a grow room reflector. Mylar can be cleaned with Windex, alcohol or any other mild household cleaner. I use an antibacterial hand soap with warm water.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
In a SitX situation, the simplest of 'tricks' for Thermal Evasion can be quite effect. Travelling along rivers/streams provides a good source of water and mud to dissipate body heat. A small muddy hole will provide cover for a fair bit of time to hide from helo's and alike eqquiped with Thermal Detectors.

Even jumping into a river/stream/water source with a pipe to breath air with could be used quite effectively.

The opposite of reducing your body heat is to hide it areas that are naturally hotter than yourself. Fires, such as from buildings, cars etc produce wide heat blooms to adjacent walls, surrounding ground that wont require you to be physically next to the fire itself, just close to it. Compost/Silage heaps while a bit wiffy can provide a good source of natural looking heat to hide within.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Noah-What

I have a suggestion on evading helicopter heat detection by simply setting a fire and create as much black smoke and heat from a 3 to 4 point perimeter around the area you wish to hide in until helicopter buggers off! would be best to get outta there also without detection but i am almost certain that if the fire is big enough you can affect the pilots visibility and the infra red device will not detect any thing in the immediate area...... do not try this @ home.... another suggestion that'll not get you a bigger sentence hide in a highly populated area with rest rooms without running too much and change set of clothes then re appear in outside view and calmly walk away

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thing is with this situation,If the cops/army are looking for a target in the dark they would not only use radar/thermal imaging-If they don't pick up anything on them they can switch to IR or regular giant lamps.

They'll see you one way or another if they are after you.
Happened recently when the cops were serching down a bunch of hoons in my village-they would circle the area with no lights on(presumably using thermal/IR)then they would circle with the big lamps on,until they found the bad guys.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Masquerader121

There was a case in the UK a while back-Irate villagers equipped themselves with high power torches which they would shine up at Apaches(!)training overhead!

Blinded their sensors they claimed.

Do not try that at home either!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I cant say what the helicopter pilots saw but... While doing some ftx training in Korea when the Kiowa helicopters would come looking for us at night we would "play rock". When you heard the rotors and sometimes it was very short notice with those things. We would find a large rock, ball up next to it with knees in chest head tucked into knees back toward the sky. Make sure all appendages where tucked in tight. Rocks retain heat from the day so the word of mouth theory went. This actually did seem to work. The times it didn't was when a Kiowa would sit and hover and a new private would panic moving. They may have suspected but if you didn't move they wouldn't engage lights as they didn't want to light themselves while spotlighting you.

Do I think this technique would work against someone who knows you are already there possibly not. But passing a scan of unfriendly in this area by this area seemed to do the trick.

In my opinion a lot of it comes down to the interpretation of the user.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join