It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owning a gun in Pennsylvania

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

Ok, thanks for the info!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jtb2008

The reason for the higher age requirement is simple really: nearly 80% of murders committed with firearms in the US are committed with handguns.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

That may be, but a gun is a gun is a gun. One is just as dangerous as another. One could argue that a shotgun is more dangerous than a handgun.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jtb2008

True however it is a lot tougher to stick a shotgun in your waistband and hide it with your jacket even if you could you would walk funny and there is not quick draw with a rig like that.

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Another point is the self discipline that comes from experience and experience takes time. I've taught young people to shoot, handle and respect guns. It's always "long" guns first. No matter the circumstances for shooting there's always a "down range" direction and any other direction is at the expense of sacrificed safety. To alter directions for shooting a long gun you pretty much need to turn your whole upper body. For a handgun, it's just a flip of the wrist. Another reason for that restriction is for the protection of the youth as well. It's much easier to accidentally shoot yourself with a handgun. If it makes you feel any better, that's not just a Pennsylvania thing. That's pretty much how it is all over.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jtb2008

I'm not arguing the right or the wrong of it. I'm simply saying that's the reason the government will give you for why that law exists.

Personally, I'm 100% in agreement with you. Under 50 yards, where most of these confrontations take place, it doesn't get much more dangerous than a shotgun loaded with 00 or #1 buckshot.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I'm not trying to argue about it either. The point was you could go on a rampage and hit more than one person with one shotgun shell, than one round from a handgun.
It doesn't make much sense, but what are ya gonna do?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join