It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major fire in Camden, North London.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Major fire in Camden, North London.

news.sky.com

London's firefighters are tonight tackling a "major" fire at the city's famous Camden Market.

20 fire vehicles have been sent to tackle the blaze, which is believed to have started at around 7pm.

So far no casualties or injuries have been reported but it is not clear if anybody was trapped in the market stalls and shops when fire broke out.

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This is breaking news at the moment, but from the reports on Sky it loks like this is going to get worse before it gets sorted.

20 fire engines on scene and a hazmat team at present, reporters are saying the fire looks to be spreading with little effect coming from the fire trucks.

Lets hope they can sort this quickly, Camden is a busy place this time of the week. Early reports say that it started from a residential area, but that has not been confirmed yet.

The whole of the Camden market area appears to be ablaze by the looks of it.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I hope this gets put out very quickly or there could be big problems if it gets even bigger,1 saving grace at the moment is that nobody is reported hurt or worse,not sure if the market is still open around 7pm..i'm from the south west of the u.k so i wouldn't know

CX

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Although too early to be talking about the causes of the fire, it does appear to be in the area of the much critisized redevelopement Stables area of Camden.

Lots of people against the proposed revamp of the historic place, lots of money to be made by companies involved in the revamp of course too.

Heres one of many reports about the subject.....

Camden "Stables" redevelopement

Not sure how much of this plan has gone ahead already, maybe some of our London members could fill in a few details?

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree? Either way, that place has no choice but to be redeveloped now......so someone is smiling away to themselves somewhere whether this is an accident or not.

CX.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reports of a loud explosion.

(BBC and Skynews)

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

^^ from last year - there is a fight underway to stop redevelopement of the site - and oh look its now burnt down

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

A number of people are reportedly trapped in a major blaze at London's famous Camden Market, according to the London Fire Brigade.

BBC

Obviously we will have to wait and see but it looks like there could be people potentially at risk now hopefully it will all end without casualties.

CX

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
From the info from the public so far, the "explosions" appear to have come after the fire started, i guess there would be a fair few gas cannisters in that area what with all the bars and entertainment establishments.

CX.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
hopefully all will go well. I haven't seen anything about it yet being in america, but the title caught my eye.

On a lighter note I saw "Major Fire In Camden" and thought they were talking about Camden NJ, in which case I would of expected a riot. lol

Again, I hope that everyone makes it out ok.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Oh my god
I was just there this afternoon... on our way to Paddington we met a couple who asked how to get to the market. Hope they are ok :S ..or that everyone up there is ok.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Saw a quick glimpse of this in the news, and it looks very serious. Thankfully no reports of casualties yet, and with luck it'll stay that way.

One does wonder whether this was an accident or not, though...

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Oh my god I was just there this afternoon... on our way to Paddington we met a couple who asked how to get to the market. Hope they are ok :S ..or that everyone up there is ok

Im sure they we be fine, the fore started 7.15pm so most would have been gone, other than the stall traders,

A very famous pub sadly has been caught up in the fire,
Im just hoping my dads friends pub is ok,

My dad works on the railway there and was only up there last night,

he has workers up there on the rails at the moment makeing sure the tracks are going to be fine,

If they hear anything ill be sure to post it, and any pics they may get while up there,

[edit on 9-2-2008 by asala]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The fire looks like it is under control,

Most of the damges seems to be the storage area, the main part of the market im led to believe seems to be ok.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
this area is packed with people at night, especially a saturday,

it's full of tourists, pubs, clubs, and bars,

the market itself is huge, i live not a five minute walk from here and the

police and fire brigade closed the area down big time!!!

i don't think anyones been hurt though?

i may take a walk around tommorow and take some pics to show what damage has been done.

please check out the website... you'll want to visit i promise

www.camdenlockmarket.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by callmedave

Im gonna do a short trip there too sunday, after I've seen the beginning of the chinese new year at Trafalgar.

It's probably gonna be swarmed by other curious persons though :|

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
www.independent.co.uk...

^^ from last year - there is a fight underway to stop redevelopement of the site - and oh look its now burnt down

It's not entirely unprecedented, as many forest fires in Greece and Portugal are often caused by developers who want to get land on the cheap or clear out people who oppose their plans. Same could apply here, but they won't go unnoticed as the investigation would turn up any arson attempt.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
updates from the bbc,

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Police investigating a huge fire at Camden's famous market in London say it is too early to say how it started. "

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 10-2-2008 by callmedave]

new topics

top topics

join