It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress backing move to Claim all US Water rights

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Remember how the first settlers (Bush and co.) took terrible advantage of the first native Americans? Well here we go again...

Congress passes tribal water rights bill

WASHINGTON - Under a bill approved Tuesday by Congress, the Assiniboine and Sioux tribes of the Fort Peck Indian Reservation may lease water rights to nearby non-Indian communities to meet Dry Prairie Rural Water Association needs.

Looks like they are stuck in this contract and it was probably the only option they really had, I just cannot see the Tribal Elders allowing this willingly.

The terms of the lease cannot exceed 100 years and must be approved by the Interior secretary. It may be agreed to without any compensation to the tribes.

Let's keep a close eye on this situation as there are all the signs of a major future problem for the Tribes.

www.billingsgazette.net...

[edit on 12-2-2008 by antar]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
i can't wait to retire away from america.......stuffs gettin deeper
and deeper..............maybe i'm just gettin old and cynical....

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by last time here

I understand how you feel, yet I believe that this is more a Global situation and there is really no place that will go unaffected by the future plans to make water a centralized and controlled commodity. If you read some of the links above it will validate what I am saying. I feel strongly that when considering the future of not only The Americas but also the rest of the civilized world, what happens to one Nation eventually becomes the way people are treated in general regardless of location.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I just got this new windows vista comp and cannot seem to open pdf files (have a guy coming out friday) but I am very interested to see what these documents have to say. This is an old report from Australia, but it most certainly has some great evidence to support the fact that no matter where you are located, it is a concern of great measure. Let me know please what you read. Thankyou

www.aph.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
No surprise here.

These people must just sit around and think of more ways they can come up with to tax us. Here in the pacific Northwest we had free electricity minus the cost of building & maintaining the infrastructure that harnesses & delivers the power. Well - that was the original idea - until it was decided that it was an easy means to extract more revenue without any more effort.

Once very cheap compared to the rest of the country - (The Shtick) until the powers that be decided since we are on the grid we should have to share the higher cost of the others who decided to live where they had to import the fuel supply to generate power.

Then our servants turned over the pipes (power lines) to private speculators who began to buy and sell what goes through the lines (some guys in Texas named Enron among others) and so we have multiple groups charging us for the free power created by the plants that we paid to build to harness the energy. Somewhere along the line we got screwed by the corporations & our government who colluded to play shell games with our power.

Actually there was some kind of merger whereas a bigger management company took over the management company that ran our system. Regardless it was/is a crooked deal as nobody's power got cheaper - somebody just made more money and we had less in our pockets.

Sometimes I think we should storm the facilities & take back our power, but then I remember it's not the guys running the facilities doing the job which we gave them, its the invisible guys who only on paper have created wealth out of nothing for themselves. Just how do we get them?

Now we have the same beginning to happen with water and everyones surprised? Didn't you guys see the Mad Max series or Waterworld? Come on now, if they could get us all to move to Mars or the Moon so they could charge us to breathe you know they would.

I suppose that in places, such as Texas where there is a limited resource such as water it could be argued that it is best for the community as a whole to understand how much water there is available in the community pool (the aquafir below everyones land) and then regulate how much is being used. I guess if one could prove that the water they use only lies within their owned land - they could have a valid argument. Didn't Saddam invade Kuwait because of the shared pool of oil? Something to think about.

Next of course there would have to be incentives so that you don't waste the limited resource and therefore they would begin to charge you for how much you used. Then that money would create the bureaucracy which grows larger & needs more revenue each year. Of course then they see it as easy money and they begin to sell your water to others farther away, because their greed becomes uncontrollable....

After all in some respects if you have two neighbors who use the same aquafir & one using 10 times more water in order that he can earn an income - what compensation does his neighbor have for his well running lower & lower each year until one day he has no more water in that shared underground pond, because one neighbor has decided for him that they will potentially waste more to turn more of it into income in order that he lives better.

Water - well I guess unless its within your private pond, rain barrel or aquifer you can bet will be regulated and we know the sponges can't regulate without seeing dollar signs thus expect to battle the greedy bastards who will want far more than they deserve.

If they start charging us for how much water falls out of the sky where we live -I'll have to move because we get lots.

[edit on 14-2-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Thanks for your post, and I too think about how the process of oil extraction got so ugly so fast over the past 50 years. And how they soon discovered that they could drill side ways into others oil reserves depleting as many as possible before anyone knew the difference and in the meantime creating a storage of wealth that could pay off many a city or county official.

When I spend 2.89USD for 'smart water' just water in a bottle. 33.8 fluid oz. I feel like its a test. As if they want to know just how much I will pay for water.
I guess if you were rich it would not matter. 2.89 for a bottle of water? Lets see if my entire family while on an outing need a drink of water that would be almost 25 dollars with tax. For water. Our planet is mostly comprised of water. It was and is our birthrite. The big push by all is that you can live without food for an extended period of time but water? You'll die! In the olden days we got a drink when we left the house and got one when we returned. Now 'everyone' has to have that bottle by their side. We become more dehydrated easier now than in the past? Or are we being psychologically conditioned to believe this? I am not one to talk, I am constantly pushing liquids on those I love.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I just read the Rense article and forwarded it to everyone I know.

This truly boggles the mind. He who controls the water, controls the people absolutely.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The world is overpopulated. That is the where and why of the fresh water situation.
They will tax your water wells, and you will comply.

But....let them try to control human breeding habits and the world would scream. There would be riots and mayhem across the globe.
You would rather have food rationing, water rationing etc.

Desalinization - oh....too co$ly.....You won't buy it.
Tax you for you private well. OK.

But hey, you are lucky so far. William the Conquerer taxed the English peasants for light and air. They put tiny windows and doors on their little houses to save money.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Note the time line in this particularly frightening scenario for America and its precious and most needed 'commodity'

More than 30 countries already face water stress and scarcity. The Earth's water system can support, at most, only one more doubling of demand, estimated to occur in less than 30 years. The US National Intelligence Council, a group that reports to the CIA, warns that water will become the main resource-scarcity problem by 2015 and that the instability created by water shortages "will increasingly affect the national security of the United States."

Could this be the trigger for the next civil war? If you look at other nations much poorer than the US and its allies will we actually stand up for our rights or just take it lying down like so many other new policies being thrust upon us with barely a whimper from the public.

Fortune Magazine notes that "water will be to the 21st century what oil was to the 20th." Who owns water and how much they are able to charge for it will become the question of the century. The privatization of water is already a $ 400-billion-a-year business. Multinational corporations hope to increase profits from water commodification even further by using international trade and investment agreements to control its flow and supply. One Canadian water company, Global Water Corp., puts it best: "Water has moved from being an endless commodity that may be taken for granted to a rationed necessity that may be taken by force."
I urge you to read and pass the knowledge on to others as this is not a what if scenario, when you look at the current statistics:

From Water Partners International:

water.org...

This article from Global Partners International is an important read for all.

www.globalpolicy.org...

[edit on 14-2-2008 by antar]

[edit on 14-2-2008 by antar]

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
My argument is that they don’t own the clouds that produce rain which replenishes the groundwater. Also IIRC when you buy property you only own the soil up too 6 feet deep, therefore only are taxed on your overall acreage, not to the center of the Earth. A well is obviously deeper than that therefore taping water from below your property line. Unless the Government is claiming they own the land below ours I don’t see how they can claim ownership of the water there. It seems like free territory to me.

Unless my facts are wrong...

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Creedo

Well as the article above mentions, there is a thing called cloud seeding, so because of this they can actually state that they own the rain.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
True... but not all rain is from seeding... what maybe .00000001% of all water? They are going to find it difficult to prove what water molecules are there’s and which fell from the sky naturally.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Creedo

China would beg to differ on that 0.000000000000001%

www.boston.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
In the olden days we got a drink when we left the house and got one when we returned. Now 'everyone' has to have that bottle by their side. We become more dehydrated easier now than in the past? Or are we being psychologically conditioned to believe this? I am not one to talk, I am constantly pushing liquids on those I love.

I questioned that as well at one time antar. I'm an avid hiker, biker outdoors man & whatnot myself and in the old days I suppose I brought nothing & would have to limit my forays to places where there was water available or I was forced to cut my visit short.

Eventually I figured out that a bottle & a filter to replenish my bottle allowed me to go farther (in time) & further (in distance) without having to go back to civilization to replenish. Now I have a hose clipped to my collar so I don't have to stop or reach in order to hydrate myself and I have found that I am healthier & last longer because of it.

I think we have just become smarter through the use of technology that allowed us to more easily transport our water, so that we don't have to rely on having to stop at a stream while hiking or stopping at a rest stop just to drink while driving.
Think about it at one time not too long ago we didn't wash our hands & more people became ill because we didn't realize there were little bugs called bacteria that would couldn't see. Now we know & we live longer.

In Africa the bushman fill ostrich eggs with water in the rainy season & bury them along their routes. Then later while traveling or hunting in the dry season they remember where they buried the eggs so that they may drink.

Personally I believe we should be able to take our hydration packs & water bottles everywhere we go as water is necessary for our survival and the more often you drink it the healthier you become. I'm angered when I go to a concert or sports venue & they force me to leave my water behind so they can charge me 5 bucks a bottle. The same is true for the airport security crapola. Water is life dammit. Traveling with it should be a basic human right.

[edit on 14-2-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

In my area what they have talked about is placing meters on our private water wells. I can imagine the revenue made through the contracts to complete such an undertaking. It will not be unfortunately the locals on the unemployment roles, or the struggling local contractors. The moneys will not benefit our local slumping economy,it will instead be out of state or even country companies.
What disturbs me most is that this can be done without our approval. These wells have been dug by my forefathers, these wells are not competing with any city aquafiers or municipal water treatment centers. Just plain odd ruby due.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Well there are always other options. Maybe some kind of class action lawsuit to get those like you grandfathered in somehow. The other option is it wouldn't be that hard to bypass the meters and just run a fraction of your use through them, to avert suspicion.... For that matter you could have a few unregistered wells out of site & disguised. You could always have a personal war by making access to your property difficult and make it very expensive for them every step of the way.

It seems governments have always become greedy in our world thus you just have to be sneakier than those that do it for a living I guess. I know in some countries property & sales taxes are so outrageous that the entire community lies about the sales price of a house - Come time to sign the paperwork they literally pay with bags of money & they bribe the local officials with a bag & everyone walks away happy.

When taxes & fees become criminal - people start cheating because they feel they're being cheated by criminals.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I guess the thought of us putting in a well so we dont have to pay the high county prices for water just isnt going to work. If they decide to put meters on it. We decided to try and drill a well when our water bill went up from $30 a month to $60 a month this past summer for the same amount of water we normally use. We may not have a big farm but when its hard to even give your family water to drink or bathe with it gets to be stupid.

Then you have to realize that, the water from the county is so full of bacteria it is pitiful. When you leave a glass with a bit of water in it over night the next morning its turned to a clear slime. Just what the heck are we drinking? Yet we pay twice the price of what we did the year before for the same crap.

I also have seen the price of bottled water double in the past 6 months due to the drought. I bet 10 to 1 that is also the government stepping in. I have a strange feeling that now that the government controls most of the oil they now think they need to control all water, what next the sewer?

Hilda

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I love to do things the legal when ever possible. However the idea as posted above about having an unregistered well gives me ideas. I suppose it could be done. In that line of thinking one could always install a hand pump system. Unfortunately, I discovered a couple of years ago the way they build the newer wells(Past 10 years or so) if the system was not built in at the time they drilled the well and set the casing around it, it is next to impossible to get done. At least this is what I was told. They are becoming almost impossible to purchase now and they can even be registered in the future when someone goes to purchase one just like a new gun. It is awful to be reduced to criminal behavior just to survive.

Also I realize that this is my thread, embarrassingly I have to admit defeat in finding this issue on the books. Could anyone with expertise help me find the actual proposed bill before congress? I will keep hunting in the meantime.
Thank you in advance.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Interesting article I found from a Canadian News source.
It speaks about Bill 43 and the Clean Water Act

It really makes me think about the NAFTA super hwy, and the merging of the new laws which affect all of us.

The following are a few examples of the unjust infringements authorized by Bill 43:

The following are a few examples of the unjust infringements authorized by Bill 43:

(note: bureaucrats comprises the Municipality, the Conservation Authority, or any Ministry of the Government such as Health or Environment)

Section 54 & 79 authorises bureaucrats to enter any private property without consent or warrant, and empowers bureaucrats to make any excavations, collect samples, evidence, or data and compels people to provide any and all information. "a permit inspector may, for the purpose of enforcing this part, enter property, without the consent of the owner or occupier and without warrant",

Section 47 & 53 and Part 4, provides the authority for municipalities to charge for water extraction permits and inspections on private wells and septic systems.

Section 60 dictates that bureaucrats can compel people to pay without appeal, and grants authority to place all costs to your tax bill

Section 88 & 89 saves the bureaucrats and government from any legal action initiated by an individual or business to stop any injustice.

Section 59 & 71 Bankruptcy offers no escape from compliance orders or convictions.

Bill 43, the Clean Water Act (now S.O. 2006 c.22) received Royal Assent on October 19. However the Act will not come into force until a date to be named by Mr. McGuinty’s Cabinet.

So soon not only must I pay $4,500 per year to get my private well water tested by an "accredited lab" because we serve the public and they just "might" drink the water, on top of the water treatment system I put in ($5,000) and maintain with UV light, salt and hydrogen peroxide ($500 per year), but the TSBP will charge me for my water consumption based on a meter that I have to pay for?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This is just plain flat scary to me.
I know that often what happens in Canada then happens here too. The Congress of the U.S. seems to be taking their cues from Canada.
Seems as if they have spent huge amounts of man power and untold dollars to contrive this worst case scenario to use a natural resource against the people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join