It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-122: Off-nominals And Anomalies Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
A thread where lifers can indulge and report and discuss those mission elements that are of note. It's almost 9:30AM Flight Day 3 (FD3) for the 122.

Those with an interest already know the history. NASA has some links for those who like to get up to orbital velocity on 122. Anyway, I like this crew and want them to have a great safe trip and attach Columbus.

A few things, JMHO, the launch had some trouble just before SRB sep to orbit, no one asked from the media about an SME shutdown.

MECO events set off an alarm (I heard 2) explained as a tripped cabin pressure transducer.

The External Tank spewed something large and so bizzare looking... just don't have a clean explanation about that. The media asked softball questions and where was James O? Hope he's AOK. I caught his questions on Cassini.

The STS cameras are not working as well as other flights... or, whatever. So of the B&W imagery off the OBSS was really trippy. Same stuff different flight. Got an APU problem... heatin' up on number 3. They just shut it down (no biggie).

Little CO2 problem after the first on-orbit burn, cautions and warnings and klaxon... some nimrod forgot to remove the handling tape on the lithium-dioxide cartridges. Mint, private contractor? Choice words were uttered and a "stay vector" from Mission control was given... followed by Mr. Announcer guy breaking in... anyway the crew pulled the tape off and the CO2 sitch is nominal.

A number of "stay vectors" that don't make sense have gone up from MC and comms are "light" just like maybe since about approximately guesstimating STS-115.

Got a rad hose problem too... won't be an issue until they go to close the doors... just a coolant hose routing and stowage hassle, it's more or less a "memory" issue with the flex hose.

Starboard OMS pod looks to have a divot or mabe a just a shiney spot... imaging people will be done tomorrow... maybe. Um, there is a whole lot of "stuff" near the 122 "junk and ice and crap and bits of spaceship". Nothing unseen on other flights. Docking with ISS coming up.

I'm not sure I can post the sat track graphics on ISS, STS and USA 193 cuz they are on other websites... or the UTC shadow map so one can tell what's up day/night wise. No big deal. It's being documented.

Let's just say at times the more or less "live" NASA-TV feed groundtrack doesn't "always" match the groundtrack at n2yo.com. It isn't that big a deal how close they are... That site allows one to put up mutiple objects.

There are some logistic challenges on ISS to do with video routing and a de-muxer... no problem. Atlantis has BNC cable on onboard they can leave.

RPM at 11:23EST, a 3/4 of a degree per second backflip.

Post what you think might be of note.

Cheers,

Vic

EDIT: To add that NASA MEDIA channel on the Net has gone offline at 9:50M EST. The NASA-TV feed to the Net is still up.

Here's a NASA link to the TVSked rev A by Karen Svetaka... I'd lnk the PDF but NASA doesn't allow that with their new site code, the link.

Says, the docking may not be televised... hmmm.

[edit on 9-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Says, the docking may not be televised... hmmm.

The docking is being televised right now -- the Shuttle and ISS are less than 50 feet from each other and closing.

[edit on 2/9/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Nominal docking.
Starboard OMS Pod blanket "tear" according to the Mission Status Briefing. Tiny... maybe a few pins and staples, 3 or 4 inch triangle. It is in a spot one might not expect to have been struck by anything...

Lost a guido computer when they brought it up earlier today. It "common set" failed. Unknown cause. Docked on 2 boxes.

Some display troubles on Atlantis... no big deal.

From yesterday's imagery:

Post-MMT conference at about 4PM EST.

Vic

EDIT:To add:

[edit on 9-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Delay EVA-1 24 hours... Post-MMT Briefing on now...

Crew member medical problem will delay the EVA... Hans may have space sickness... no impact on objectives. 1 day mission extension... power saving mode.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Post-MMT Briefing... speaks for itself, in two parts. Um... this is unusual.

In the crew welcoming aboard ISS Hans Schlegel looked fine. He has been up before... a long time ago on STS-55. The delayed spacewalk will have Stan Love pinch-hit. It is unclear as to Hans' disposition for EVA-2. the TV sked will be revised a bunch now. I hope ESA Astro Schlagel is fine.

What are sample and purge bags? I hope it's just motion sickness. No airlock campout tonight.
Vic

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This one is "nothing special" from EVA-2... watch from the 50 second mark just below the truss. Buncha other ones... too many to "pull, process and post". Nothing conclusive...

Time for a car ride...

Vic

Oh, the ISS SARJ is toast... EVA-3 should see what's "grinding".

[edit on 14-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

[edit on 14-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Lost a heater on an L5-L RCS thruster. Took it out of the loop... thermostats have been a problem from time to time. It failed "off", no problem. No cautions or warnings.

Vic

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
sts 122 is now over...

beautiful landing... rock on!

\m/

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by m3rlz

Check the nosecap on Atlantis... APU's are huffin'... 123 will be the most complex and lengthy mission ever... nominal launch Mar 11.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
they just said that in August it will be Atlantis' last flight... did i hear that correctly? so now we will just have Endeavor and Discovery until 2010?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
STS-125 is Atlantis' last skedded (Hubble service)... but it is getting the SSPTS, so one would think they may have a "use" for the newest bird in the fleet yet to do with ISS and support of ISS mission obejectives.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 20-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

new topics

top topics

join