It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monogomy? is it becoming outdated and old fashioned???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmbryonicEssence
Monogamy is not natural in the animal world (Dateline NBC did a report a week or so ago about this), so why should it be natural for us? After all, we are all animals.

Animals determine how we define behavior, not the other way around. Animals are monogamous or polygamous because the scietnists say they are, the animals tell the scientists what they are.

That said, this is just another antisocial issue. If our culture werre ploygamist, it would be the goths and rockstars saying we should be monogamous.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I dont think it is just goths and rockstars who are polygamous... and i dont think its an antisocial issue... it comes down to personal desire i feel... alot of very 'normal' people i know have two or three open relationships at a time and everyone involved in these is cool with it... the only reason i havent been like that is my GF has until now been against it...

But i only reason plygamy is frowned down upon by society in general is for religious reasons (thats why i posted in this forum) i feel that if it wasnt for religions telling us that we need to stick to one partner we probably wouldnt... we may have one main 'steady' partner but ten have others for pure physical or for lesser emotional reasons

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
I dont think it is just goths and rockstars who are polygamous... and i dont think its an antisocial issue... it comes down to personal desire i feel... alot of very 'normal' people i know have two or three open relationships at a time and everyone involved in these is cool with it... the only reason i havent been like that is my GF has until now been against it...

But i only reason plygamy is frowned down upon by society in general is for religious reasons (thats why i posted in this forum) i feel that if it wasnt for religions telling us that we need to stick to one partner we probably wouldnt... we may have one main 'steady' partner but ten have others for pure physical or for lesser emotional reasons

Well, it is also an emotional issue. There's something about dedicating yourself to one person that sends a strong message. Being ploygamist to many people would be the same as saying "Yeah, I love you, but you can't fulfill my entire life, so I'mn gonna screw around with those blondes 20 years younger than you." It's not a very nice message to get

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have had my fun time and now that I am turning 26 in a few days my theory on monogomy has changed alot over the years. When I was younger it was all about being with alot of girls whether I had a gf or not. But now, I would love to find that one girl I can just sit back with and open up to and be with for the rest of my life. The type of girls I attract usually are sluts though, so it kind of makes things a little difficult .

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Originally posted by specialasianX

Well, it is also an emotional issue. There's something about dedicating yourself to one person that sends a strong message. Being ploygamist to many people would be the same as saying "Yeah, I love you, but you can't fulfill my entire life, so I'mn gonna screw around with those blondes 20 years younger than you." It's not a very nice message to get

I think if your married and dedicate yourself to a woman you should do just that... if i got married and my wife wanted me to be monogomous i would... but if she decided polygomy was cool i would go along with it... i think being emotionally attached to someone shouldn't neccesarily mean you HAVE to be physically exclusive to them... it is something that would have to be mutually agreed on so that neither party gets hurt... (keep in mind i'm 19 so my opinion may just be that of the youth and will likely change)

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I think if you love someone you should devote yourself entirely to them. If people did what you suggesting, there would be so many more diseases. Why is it so hard for people to stick with one person??

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I don't think monogomy is outdated. I think it is more important now than at any time in the past.

Contrary to what anyone says, I personally think that a "purely physical" relationship is a load of crap. I don't think it's possible, and I know some will disagree, to engage in sexual relations with a person and not exchange at least a little....something.

I was a virgin when I got married. My wife was a virgin when we got married. Shocking? We have been married for a few years now. Sure it would have been fun to sleep with a bunch of girls, I'm sure. Sex is fun. But...

*I am completely free of disease and so is she. And I know that, and it's not going to change because there is no vehicle to change that. No condom can reliably protect you from STDs. Condoms break. They also don't do anything for diseases that can be tranmitted in vehicles besides semen.

*She doesn't have baggage from any cruel or uncaring partners who might have degraded her sexuality.

*Neither of us has performance issues because neither one of us has anything to compare with. Sex with my wife is great. I have no reason to think that I've had life better anywhere else.

*We both have trust that the other person is not opperating outside the bounds of our monogomous relationship, which be both value and we've agreed upon.

*When my wife gets pregnant, I know who the baby's daddy is and there are no paternity related issues. My wife also knows that my financial resources are comitted to her and our baby because I don't have other babies in other towns to support.

*Any other benefits I missed?

Monogomy works. Sex is fun, but what I gain (peace of mind) is better than what I lose (what did I lose?) by going with manogomy.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Not a trend here, got married last june and it's great being with just one person, It definitely makes you feel more secure in the health department.

Before I was so worried I might of caught something, getting tested and waiting, such anxiety!

What sucks is that my dad and his girlfriend decided to start "swinging" and being the "type" of woman she is, she caught genital herpes, and then my dad...

They don't know I know this, but I don't think much of em now, I still love my dad, but think he's a slut. They are both being stupid, and she's too scared to get tested for hiv cuz she thinks she has it, well thanks alot, cuz if you do then my dad has it too...

I'd rather have it mono, then the other way...

I've learned alot so far, and feel more comfortable in the skin i'm in now then before...

I know my dad takes part in the swinging scene but he uses protection, she's told me she hasn't in the past.
Stupid ass, she thinks it funny too... maybe she laughs cuz she knows in the back of her head she's a stupid skank and feels ashamed... hopefully... maybe that part will come out and she'll smarten her ass out...
dumb bitch.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Monogamy or polygamy, it's a social issue, not an instincts issue. Our instincts tells us to search for the healthiest representatives of the opposite sex in order to produce the healthiest children possible and propagate our genes with most success.

I am asking all of you: how many times have you looked at another man/woman (other than the one you are involved with) ? many times, that's the answer. It's natural though, because your eyes are trained to instinctively select the shape and sounds that satisfy the primal instincts or reproduction.

Finally, take a look at other societies and belief systems where polygamy is normal: these societies recognize the role of a male as a hunter and genes distributor and they allow for men to be married with more than one women. And women accepts this situation as normal, because it's their belief system and they were raised with it.

Monogamy/polygamy is a social thing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join