It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So much for genetic engineering -- evolution has got it beat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Humans think they're so smart, engineering crops with insecticides in their genetic code. The advantage didn't last long, it would appear. Pests are starting to adapt.

First documented case of pest resistance to biotech cotton

A pest insect known as bollworm is the first to evolve resistance in the field to plants modified to produce an insecticide called Bt, according to a new research report.

Bt-resistant populations of bollworm, Helicoverpa zea, were found in more than a dozen crop fields in Mississippi and Arkansas between 2003 and 2006.

"What we're seeing is evolution in action," said lead researcher Bruce Tabashnik. "This is the first documented case of field-evolved resistance to a Bt crop.”

To quote Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park, "Life finds a way."

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i say good. companies like monsanto need to go away and nature just might negate their business model. i think there should be a law that says you can't patent life or any abstraction of it.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Monsanto is a plague to humanity... Not only does the company blast seeds with antibiotics in order to complete the process, they've also mutated our food supply with animal/insect DNA...

Add to it the fact they have legally found ways to enslave farmers with yearly renewals on get this... Leasing their "seeds." They have also managed to file lawsuits against 25,000 farmers Nationwide forcing many out of business (due to paying their legal fees). Monsanto is a pest we need to extinguish and fast.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
exactly the stuff i was referring to. thing is they'll probably just change the seed even further. eventually we'll be eating some alien plant that sort of resembles conventional crops.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
the pest adapts, while its predators go extinct from the toxins, because they get an even higher dose.

net result: nothing but pests.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Of Course! Nature always finds a way....

Only problem, when does Monsanto take the gene out of the plants that we are supposed to be eating? The bollworm may have a life cycle that allows it to evolve against the poison, but humans don't.

Does anyone know of a way that 'We the People' can get this crap out of our foods. If Monsanto wants to they can breed seeds through selective means like we have been doing for thousands of years, I am okay with that. But just sticking crap DNA into our foods, so that they can corner one more market, it makes me wanna scream.

DocMoreau

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I could tell you about a science, where humans think they have something worked out, but its the opposite. They think everytime they work something out, they are right.

I am just listening to richard dawkins god delusion, at the mo, and to see his arrogance for human intelligence, makes me sick. That geezer is so anti god, and he thinks his small mind can work out everything there is.

One thing i would say, is the ipcc are holding science on a pedastal at the mo, iif they are wrong, it would damage science, and i could not laugh any more at those people.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Being wrong about something doesn't 'damage science', it's just another route of progress. Sure in the minds of the politically extreme, any wrong answer immediately discredits the person who got it wrong. In the real world, we learn from our mistakes and adapt. Sort of like Evolution.

new topics

top topics

join