It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Saturn's Moon, Titan, Could Look Like Saturn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The probe "Huygens" which is going to be deployed from the "Cassini" spacecraft on Saturn's Moon - Titan in the future, could discover the shape of the moon will look like Sweden or northern Canada, scientists of the mission said.

news.scotsman.com...

Scientists believe a lot of impact craters will be found on the surface. Titan's environment makes erosion a slow process. Because of this a lot of these craters will be filled with liquid to form circular lakes, rim-shaped lakes, bullseye lakes; horseshoe lakes.

"On January 14 next year, the American orbiter will send a European lander parachuting down to the surface of Saturn?s largest moon, Titan ? one of the most mysterious bodies in the Solar System.
No-one knows for certain what the probe, called Huygens, will find as it drops through Titan?s smoggy methane and nitrogen atmosphere which is four times thicker than the Earth?s.
But scientists have found new clues using the Earth?s biggest radio telescope as a giant radar to bounce signals off the moon?s surface."

This sounds pretty cool. Saturn's Titan moon is probably going to have some of the characteristics that countries on Earth do.

That said, this mission looks like it will be fairly interesting.

[Edited on 2-15-2004 by EliteXizer]

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i'm really expecting that the huygens probe will land in a liquid nitrogen lake. it's cold enough, and the pressure is definitely high enough, for them to exist. i'm keeping my fingers crossed though that that doesn't happen. i want to see some pictures from titan!

new topics

join