It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite NON-Mainstream Movies? Here's mine...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Ok, if anybody hasn't seen these 2 movies, they are SERIOUSLY missing out. I just thought I'd write in to spread the word.

Sunshine - Just came out on DVD about a space voyage to the Sun. They need to release a massive bomb into a dying Sun in order to save the world. Beautifully done, very artistic, and gets VERY creepy. The latter part of the movie could be like a horror, or at least what I would consider a good horror to be like. Great movie.

Throwdown - Japanese movie, dubbed. Nobody can make an artistic film like Japan or China. This movie is about the world of Judo and focuses on an ex Judo legend and his fall from and rise back to grace. Such beautifully done with a very deep feeling to it.

Anyway, I just watched both of these, and WOW. They make for an amazing movie night.

Has anybody else seen these at all? Or does anyone else have any non-mainstream movies they found that they truly loved?

EDIT: Title of the thread. I would love to hear some people's favorite non-mainstream movies.

[edit on 2/8/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'l sure I can come up with more but off the top of my head Shallow Grave.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Evil Dead 2

I've always loved this cheesy classic.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
"Dead Man" (1995) Not a big hit, but I really liked it. Shot in black and white, kinda slow moving.

"Fist of Legend" (1994) Jet Lee in a remake of Bruce Lee's "Fists of Fury." Great flick!

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
the boondock saints....
it roxors.
my favorite movie of all time

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Huh. It seems like EVERYONE'S favorite movie is Boondock Saints. Literally.

Do you have any other not-so-well-known movies you would recommend?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I have somewhat questionable taste in films, but I'll throw some suggestions out.

Top of the Food Chain aka Invasion - I love this movie - 'A genetically engineered band of devil worshiping serial killers... or a Sasquatch type thing? I don't like the sound of that!

Quatermass and the Pit - Two words - Hammer Films

Eating Raoul - A boring couple surrounded by swingers finds a way to finance their dream restaurant. It stars Mary Woronov and Paul Bartel which makes it a must watch for me.

Crank - I don't know if this is considered non-mainstream, but it's a great action-type movie. Everyone I've forced to sit through this loved it.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
im not sure whats mainstream and whats not?

here's a couple....

RUN LOLA RUN....

www.imdb.com...

KUNG FU HUSTLE
(this is really really funny, you don't have to like kung fu movies)

www.imdb.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This film tried so hard to be so hip, that it actually succeded by being so corny. "Liquid Sky"
warning profanity.......

[edit on 9-2-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
City of God...Anyone seen it?

Excellent Film

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Roland Deschain

Yeah, my brother really loves that film too.

I've never seen it unfortunately. I'll have to go and rent it one of these days.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by callmedave

Kung Fu Hustle is HILARIOUS. I actually got to see it several months before the movie even came out at the Vail Film Festival.

Great movie.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Crank - I don't know if this is considered non-mainstream, but it's a great action-type movie. Everyone I've forced to sit through this loved it.

Love that movie

To add to list list ''Wristcutters"... Comedy about a guy who commits suicide and goes to a world full of people who have committed suicide. He has to get a job and a place to live, and he thinks about committing suicide again but is scared about where he'll go next if he does. He meets a few friends in the "afterlife" and finds out his ex committed suicide and goes to find her. Good movie great ending.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I dont belive it was mainstream but if so, sorry.

Ill have to say equilibrium.

Dorian Gray

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Chiggity Check it out son...great flick

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
  • The Ultimate Gift
  • Akeelah & the Bee

Neither were big studio releases, but I thoroughly enjoyed both. The Ultimate Gift I watched a few months ago. My girlfriend had picked it out for us and we checked it out. I really liked it, and recommend it to anyone reading.

I just watched Akeelah & the Bee this evening. I had wanted to watch it for awhile now, but never did get around to it. Excellent film.

• posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:29 AM
    link   
    Get really really drunk and watch Gummo with a couple of good friends. I guarantee it is like nothing you have ever seen and it is definitely something you will never forget.

Jon

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:03 AM
    link   
    Right on, these are some great posts. I'm definitely going to be making a few trips to the local Blockbuster.

Here, I'd like to add a couple:

Casshan: Robot Hunter - It's a Japanese anime movie, and one of the few movies that will follow me around for the rest of my life. For whatever reason, the storyline and intricacies in this movie really touched me. Beautifully done.

Hero - Ok, maybe a little more mainstream than the rest, but if you haven't seen it, God you are really missing out. This was the first film like this I ever saw. It has such visual poetry, watching it on a regular TV set would not even come close to doing it justice. Visually BEAUTIFUL. Better watch it on a high-def. plasma though, I'm telling you.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 04:39 PM
    link   
    Ok, just rehashing this thread. I really like to see movies, so the more that come recommended, the better.

Especially true for non-mainstream ones.

top topics

join