It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.MIX: Above Politics Show 02

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Justin_Case

Originally posted by jsobecky
Next, you seem to look at Obama's "newness" as a good thing. I disagree. A seasoned politician like McCain should be able to make mincemeat of that very fact and treat it like the disadvantage it really is.

Originally posted by Justin_Case
When it comes to politics, "new" translates in to "hasn't been totally bought just yet." That's the idealistic up side to the thing. The down side is that unbought means untested, which means lacking in experience. I do agree that McCain could easily make Obama look like a novice, if he can say and do the right things.
:
:
I agree with your entiment, but I would point out that a Presidency is built on a team. You might be able to hoodwink any President, but you won't always be able to snooker his/her entire team. There are a lot of idealists who went to the polls with the intent of sending a message that un-bought is good.

Well, I think it remains to be seen how much of Obama has been "bought", since all that money isn't coming from college age Junior and Sister. He's not squeaky clean, either: the suspect property purchase which is being kept under wraps for one thing.

That's about all I want to say about "newfreshchange".

Finally, I was flabbergasted when you suggested that conservative talk radio commentators were what was driving a wedge between voters. I strongly disagree with you, and I would like to hear you expand on that idea.

Grab an extra barf bag. You're gonna need it.

Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. are water carriers for the Republican party. They don't limit themselves to opinion and analysis. They don't just disagree. They attack. I say the same thing about the most well-known left wing show hosts, too.

If you tried to disagree with Limbaugh the way you're taking issue with me, he would not hear you out. He would throw crap at you from high atop his ego fortress until you went away, or he hung up on you. Neither he nor his people would take the time to respond to you like I am now.

This is one of the reasons I jumped at the chance to do THE ABOVE POLTICS SHOW. Martin can speak for himself, but I think I'm here to do what ATS is best known for. I can tell you what I believe and why. I can be entertaining while I do it. I also have an obligation to bring you more than one side of an issue so that you can make up your own mind.

I've found that it is all in the approach you take with talk show hosts. Start the conversation with a hand extended and you'll stand a better chance of getting your point out there. The absolute worst example of wasted radio time is Michael Savage, imo. Pompous, insecure, ranting maniac.

Hannity and Limbaugh are staunch conservatives, and have watched this country and the Republican party stray away from conservative ideals for the past 6 years. They are understandably dismayed. They see McCain and Huckabee for what they really are - soft. And they don't like the fact that those two men are our choice for POTUS.

I will dispute your claim that Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. have been protesting with all their might fo the last six years. It's only been in last 15 months or so that they've taken to being so down on the candidates. I can't prove that to you with show archives, and Dave would hit me if I tried...but...I can ell you what I think I've been hearing from these guys.

No need to dust off the show tapes. You're right, and I didn't imply otherwise. At first, there was the initial exhiliartion of winning the White House, then 9/11, then Iraq. Both guys stuck by GWB, and waited for his response to issues.

As time went by, the honeymoon wore off as Bush spent like a drunken sailor and turned out to be soft on illegal immigration. It turned out that we had misunderestimated Iraq, and he took too long to dump Rumsfeld. The left was merciless with their attacks and unwillingness to compromise on key issues such as Social Security. You know the story.

I don't dispute the fact that these guys have a large following. I think its juvenile that they whine for something they can't have. If there was a more conservative candidate to be had, the voters in their wisdom would have turned out to vote for that person.

And this is where I disagree with you. It's not whining. They helped us escape a policy of amnesty that McCain-Kennedy-Bush tried to sneak past us. That proposal defeat was totally due to an angry populace. And by exposing these left-leaning Republicans for what they really are, they are helping to educate the voters.

We don't have to accept what the RNC puts in front of us. The voters are showing that they realize their power by not blindly voting for McCain or Huckabee. Their vote must be earned. That's the only way for the voters to take power back from the politicians.

You and I agree that McCain has the potential to wipe the floor with Barack Obama. Let's urge him to do it, even if he is a less than ideal choice. If we do less, we give up without a fight.

I'd like you to read this article, if you already haven't. Newt Gingrich, a true conservative, makes the point that he'd rather argue with McCain 20 % of the time, than with Obama/Clinton 80% of the time. I tend to agree with him, but am not completely sold yet. It's an article well worth reading.

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
We can agree to disagree on the role of the conservative talk show hosts. I've actually met Speaker Gingrich, and I have that article book marked.

As conservatives make the most of what they got, they can continue to put pressure on McCain to influence his many choices. If he wants a second term, he'd better listen.

When it comes to vice Presidents, its important to understand that Huckabee is still in the game to rack up so many delegates that he can't be denied the Veep, if he wants it. Conservatives could launch a grass roots effort to 'recruit' somebody else, if they wanted it. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Jsobecky demonstrates that it really is possible to talk about this stuff with your head screwed on straight. You can hear more of this kind of thing on THE ABOVE POLITICS SHOW. If anyone manages to change my mind about something, I will admit it.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Justin_Case]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Lots of action lately on the caucus/primary scenes. Isn't it about time to fire up Chapter 3?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Lots of action lately on the caucus/primary scenes. Isn't it about time to fire up Chapter 3?

The third AP show can be found here .

Cheers xpert11.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join