It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense analysts downplay Iran research rocket launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Defense analysts downplay Iran research rocket launch

www.jpost.com

State-run television in Teheran said the rocket was the first fired by Iran "into space," but analysts said it looked exactly like a standard Iranian Shihab 3 ballistic missile, which was incapable of taking more than 30 kilograms into space. Satellites usually weight hundreds of kilograms.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Inbar also cast doubt on Ahmadinejad's claim that Iran had succeeded in developing its first domestically built satellite, called Omid, or Hope. Iran currently has one satellite in space called Sina, launched in 2005 by Russia. Inbar said Sina was not advanced and had only low-resolution image capabilities.

State TV said Omid took 10 years to build, and the official news agency IRNA reported that it would be sent into orbit sometime in roughly the next 12 months. "The research rocket is part of preparations for the launch of a satellite into orbit," said IRNA.

I had been wondering if all this talk of the Iran rocket had been overinflated to build a case against Iran. Well, there you go.

It did surprise me a bit that Russia would jump on the bandwagon, but my red flags went up when I saw this report. I believe Russia's rhetoric is public cover for what is really going on.

Russia is continuing the fueling of at least one nuclear reactor in Iran, and there are reports as well of Russia recently sending "missiles by the boatloads" to Syria, raising serious concern in Israel.

China, while publicly supposedly putting on the heat to Iranian banks, has got it's covert tentacles deep into pentagon and state department computers.

Something just isn't adding up.

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

With the Iranian internet being dead for the time being I can't not help but to wonder about the truth and accuracy of Jpost. I do find the end of that newsy blurb an amazing coincidence... I mean how is Iran gonna get those internet users when all the lines keep getting cut?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Before you guys dismiss this story as another Jpost piece of biased junk, here's another source:

www.reuters.com...

Defense analyst Andrew Brookes of the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London agreed that Iran was advancing but he said the test was nothing remarkable as the country had already developed ballistic missiles.

"We know Iran can fire missiles. This proves nothing new in terms of technology...

Jpost is kind of like Debka imo, you gotta sift through the junk. This piece however, appears to have some merit.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Um, now I've seen two different clips and two different accounts of Monday's launch. Um, the state TV version differs from what I saw AND had accounted to me. The official version doesn't have the delay and the missile... I'm no expert on Iranian hardware or anything but the plume on the one in the official version is different than other S-3's... I "think".

Maybe the folks who "hunt" on the Arabic "site for an hour" perimeter can hep with a "solid" on the actually launch vid that appeared Tuesday? According to the account I personally believe most, there was a glitch at T - zero and the missile paused while the LC announcer picked the count back up at T - Minus 7 seconds.

One other small issue; the telemetry pack parachuted back doesn't jive with an orbital release at all... AND look at the trajectory in the official version... ask JimO. This is not "kosher" with the stories of Omid (Hope) going orbital second week of June with that launch vehicle. I may be completely wrong.

Here's a Yahoo link claiming the "official" version... I'm sure the "other" version will turn up too. Yahoo Iranian Launch. Here's an irna.ir link on the launch Irna news piece on Iranian Launch

The fabric of the notion that "nothing is going on" it getting a bit worn and thread bare. One side spins-up, the other spins-down and there's more than two sides and even more agendas...

Iran/Iraq border skirmish over "who's drillin' who's" dark-lady oil patch and... Ka-Boom! Some other posts on ATS recently would seem to indicate clear air turbulence ahead.

3rd tanking for STS-122... launch looks doubtful. Four tankings is pushin' the envelope on the ET foam. I hope they get a window today.

Vic

[edit on 7-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Sorry, but the Iranian Internet is not dead, and never was. It appeared that way initially, but after some careful checking, by several of us here verified that many Iranian sites are still up and running fine.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Ok, so what are you saying, V. In your opinion they really are using the launch as a cover to put up the satellite necessary to guide long range nuclear weapons? Or are you saying the opposite?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

UM I don't know if your ignorant or lying then again the mistake could be mine. But I doubt it. Just because an Iranian web site is up somewhere in the world does not mean Iran has internet or international telecomunication VIA hardlines.
PROOF?

[edit on 10/18/2007 by titorite]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Oh dear, if that's your proof then I seriously suggest you go find a few Iranian servers located in Iran yourself through careful research, and see for yourself. I did and was satisfied that plenty of Iranian sites are up. That's why I abandoned that other thread- no one seemed to pay any attention. So believe what you want my friend. Lying? Umm, please don't ever say that to me again. Read my moniker.

edit to add: Let me temper that somewhat with this:

I am still just as concerned as all of you about the cable cuts. But I think until someone gets down there and finds out what happened to those cables, we can conjecture all we want.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well Like I said. It is either a lie or ignorance. I provided my link for proof. Where is yours?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Neither, it's obvious a device can be delivered in the neighborhood though. Nothing new there. I haven't seen anything screaming "orbital capability" either... it is not not-possible IMHO. Iran has some limited orbital capability for sure. I would, just to be prudent and have a sense of the "vision-thing".

"If" it was a good test for Omid (an orbital "TV" Sat) the missile should have had a different launch profile (JMHO). This was a sub-orbital "pop-up" - a good test of anti-sat capability perhaps or of local regional delivery but not the data one needs to be sure an orbital device will have the correct delivery events and timing. They likely don't have much of an Omid program beyond a test mule and maybe one or two packages.

TV? Need a tight set of orbital parameters to keep Iran LOS. Complicated and not exactly a low orbit. There's some bright kids at Tehran U though... really bright. Some "could" read this. I recommend an early weekend skiing in the montains with sunblock and sun-glasses.

I have zero doubt than given enough time Iran could place a device wherever they needed. I'd be really concerned if they developed precise polar orbit capability during a time of increased international brinkspersonship.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I swear, one more mention of me lying and you will earn yourself a spot on my ignore list. The links you can go dig up in loams thread.

Look, the bottom line is we are concerned that the hard cables have been cut as a possible military or other covert action to impede communications prior to a military action against Iran or even Syria. Ok that much I get. And that may entirely be possible. But what I will argue all day long is that if that was the case, then why are other communications from Iran still working fine?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
...I recommend an early weekend skiing in the montains with sunblock and sun-glasses.

lol.

Well, I did hear a caller on coast to coast AM last night, saying her son was in the military, and after a long debate with George Noory, said something about him going into Iran. I think she might have meant Iraq, but just makes you go hmmm.

I feel the tension too, but remember we've been talking about this for what seems like years at this point. And everyone has been wrong so far. Could this be it? All that activity over at Luke? The cables? Syrians now with S-300's?

Maybe. If it is, it is.. But I just don't see how they can justify it, not to mention overextend us into oblivion.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
old news, really....

on a post from 5-2-2008 @ 1:49AM -
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A link was posted which already said that western & US radar telemetry
had not witnessed or reported any launches (from the 'Secret' launch facility in Iran) in Iranian airspace that even approached the world-wide accepted elevation of "Space"
~ that being 60 miles or 100 km Up! ~

~the western MSM is just parroting news statements from the Iranians...
the claims were not investigated as to whether the claim was fanciful or factual...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

lol, so you are saying that after all this, there was no launch at all?

And btw, that link's not working for me St. What is it with you and me and links that don't work, eh?

new topics

top topics

join