It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The name is a problem.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
John Lear and Sleeper have been deposited here, and supposedly this doesn't reflect negatively on the legitimacy of their opinions. But we know different, don't we.

Sleeper has his Milton, and Mr. Lear has secret knowledge of other planets' inhabitants. Are they both purposely selling a dishonest set of ideas? I have no idea.

I'm a little more dubious of Sleeper's program as compared to Mr. Lear's, but I'm so amazingly open minded that I have to admit that they could both be communicating the truth 100%.

But what I don't like is the fact that this out-there forum is called "Skunk Works".

Skunks smell. We all know that. So by calling this forum Skunks Works the message is that the opinions expressed within also smell. This is definitely a negative concept.

People like Sleeper and Lear deserve more. Evidence denies ignorance, but I like to access strange ideas that aren't available in my local newspaper. Isn't there room on this site for some of these ideas?

Couldn't this place be called "Outer Limits" instead of the smelly name "Skunk Works"?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'll agree with you for the simple reason that people don't know what "Skunk Works" is. They have this impression that "Skunk Works" is something bad or "stinky" like you said. This is waaaay off. Look up the definition of Skunk Works. I'll save you some time:

Skunk Works is used in engineering and technical fields to describe a group within an organization given a high degree of autonomy and unhampered by bureaucracy, tasked with working on advanced or secret projects. This term was popularized by a division of the same name within the Lockheed Martin corporation. Several of their successes at managing time-sensitive, complex projects have popularized the term. The term is also used analogously in other fields, especially business, to describe any self-contained, semi-autonomous work-group or committee that directly manages its own projects.

Source

Now apply that to Mr Lear and Sleeper. Do you still think "Skunk Works" doesn't apply?

It's a perfect fit in my opinion.

Skunk Works is one of my favourite forums - it has the best and sometimes most entertaining theories. Yet people are afraid to post here simply because of the word "Skunk"... If people will look differently at the forum if the word "Skunk" is removed, then I'll vote for the change. But then again the phrase "Skunk Works" actually has a conspiracy background. If only people would realize what a perfect fit "Skunk Works" is for the... well... Skunk Works forum is.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

But Gem, he does have a pretty good point. I knew what it was, but carry the same general impression. I've seen some pretty bad stuff in there. And I know, cause a thread or two I posted myself.

I thought his idea of the outer limits was fantastic, and more appropriate for newer people who don't have a clue what the term Skunk Works really means.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The description for this forum fits Sleeper and Mr. Lear perfectively, but Skunks smell, and that's a bad thing.

Out-there thinking shouldn't be associated with "bad".

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I've seen some pretty bad stuff in there. And I know, cause a thread or two I posted myself.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by TrueAmerican]

That's why I said Skunk Works have the best and most entertaining theories.

As I said, I support the idea of a name change, simply because people don't know what Skunk Works is.

Droid56, I would suggest that you send a suggestion so that the Admin can take note. Actually I could/should move this thread to complaints/suggestions, but let's leave it here to hear some more opinions.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Thanks, Gem, for leaving this idea on the table!

top topics

join