It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PROOF that Ancient Civilizations were as advanced as us!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Thanks for doing that for me. Due to being born without fingers, it saved me the trouble of having to type in all the queries by holding a pencil in my mouth to push the keys. Thanks, Dad.

What, you ain't got no toes?

Get a voice activated system.

No mercy!

Harte

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Just going back a few pages it was mentioned Sedna may be the same thing as Planet X or Niburu as it has the same 10,000/12,000 year orbit.

Niburu i beleive only has an orbit of around 3,600 years! Also scientists have also stated that Sedna has nothing to do with Niburu.

Sorry to go back off topic but i,m playing catch up with this thread.

www.nineplanets.org...

[edit on 7-2-2008 by pierreletrek]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Yes but they're the size of Polish sausages. Way too thick to type on the small little keys without all sorts of typos. I'm sticking with my pencil! Don't blame me- they were your genes, Dad!

Originally posted by pierreletrek
Niburu i beleive only has an orbit of around 3,600 years! Also scientists have also stated that Sedna has nothing to do with Niburu.

This is a good point I wanted to make as well.

First, does Nibiru even exist? Most serious scholars say no.

Also, someone said Nibiru comes around every 3,600 years and was responsible for the ice caps melting. If this is true, has there been any documentation in recorded history outside mythology that it came around again or shouldn't that men it would be due to make another appearance?

It kind of sounds like hogwash to me, to be honest. Just curious, though. I'm pretty ignorant on the whole subject.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Never thought of that! No history recording this fact about the ice caps! Maybe this is what happened after Noah alledgedly built his ark. Maybe we aint looking at historical information properly.

Also, dont remember where, but recently scientists have discovered grasses and plants frozen under the melting ice caps. This may also point to a possible answer to your ice cap question. Maybe they did melt, grasses grew ands then froze again.

It seems the ice caps are melting now along with the supposed return of this still mysterious object. If it does indeed exist.

What do you think?

Check out this news report

ie.youtube.com...

[edit on 7-2-2008 by pierreletrek]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
AshleyD,

It is my understanding that Nibiru in Mesopotamian accounts was referring to Jupiter.

With the advent of Zacharia Sitchin and others the belief has been transformed into a brown dwarf on a 3600+ year orbit around our sun. Described as around 2/3rd the size of our sun and traveling at nearly the speed of light. Needless to say, for all of this to be true, it would have to be a black hole in which case our solar system would have ceased to exist long ago. Also, if on a 1800+ year orbit, one way, by the time it exits our solar system there would be nothing to bring it back.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Also, someone said Nibiru comes around every 3,600 years and was responsible for the ice caps melting. If this is true, has there been any documentation in recorded history outside mythology that it came around again or shouldn't that men it would be due to make another appearance?

No

Which is one of the reasons us merry band of debunkers say it's, well, complete bunk ....

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
reply to post by whargoul

First off I don't think debunkers "are bad and want to hurt us". Did you not see the posts addressing my comment about "why didn't they make stuff in photoshop if they were so advanced"?

I did and I thought it was a good point.

Originally posted by Ketzer22Secondly why did you even bother posting in this thread if you're "so sick and tired of it"? I tend to try to avoid threads that don't interest me, I wish you would've done the same. Shove off, you weren't invited. Sorry we were having a discussion amongst ourselves about the possibilities behind this picture.

It's not your perogative to decide who should post what where, dude.
Whargoul was saying goodbye to ATS in a thread where some of us oldsters were active enough to see his goodbye.

Originally posted by Ketzer22Question to Harte- Since when did you become the foremost authority on ancient hieroglyphics and/or sumerian clay texts? Again, you weren't invited to the discussion either, so I don't understand why you felt you HAD to come here and put your two- unappreciated- cents in here.

Guess what, dude. I'm on you now like white on rice.

It's not my fault you don't want to know about hieroglyphics or cuneiform. I've not claimed to be an expert. I'm telling you what I know.
You sound like you're not really interested though. Leads me to wonder why you post here.
Note that I don't say you shouldn't, though.
At any rate, here's some advice for you.

Don't dare try to tell me where to put the truth on a website.

Originally posted by Ketzer22The attitude of hardcore debunkers is so piss-poor it amazes me. They have to resort to calling people names, trying to make people feel stupid, and derailing threads.

How you feel is not my concern, though if you do feel "stupid," well, if the shoe fits....

Your "attitude" here is one of a child that's been told there's not really a Spiderman.

Stamp your foot and moan "no fair!" all you want.

Originally posted by Ketzer22That's probably why your buddy got banned.

Did I not state precisely why Marduk was banned?

Your reading skills need a little honing.

Originally posted by Ketzer22 Grow up and come back when you won't throw a tantrum when new people want to discuss a topic they haven't discussed.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm more apt to take advice from people that actually know something. You know, folks that think before they post? People that don't throw a tantrum like you just did and then turn around and tell others not to throw a tantrum?

Harte

[edit on 2/7/2008 by Harte]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cormac mac airt

Hi Cormac.

Are you are saying Zacharia Sitchin is completely off the mark as this theory would not make any sense, should the Niburu thing be true?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
The preconceived notion that every person interested in the subject of the Sumerians (having advanced knowledge of our solar system) is a die-hard follower of Zecharia Sitchin is completely false.

I don't think anyone said "die hard."
But who else but Sitchin is making this claim about the Sumerians? All such claims started with him.

Originally posted by TraumaI am trying to discuss a different perspective of my own which has NOT been discussed on ATS. Sitchin believed that the Sumerians thought the Sun to be a planet, which I completely disagree on. He also asserts that the Sumerians thought the Moon was a planet, which is an idea I am open to but lean away from.

Sorry, but it appears that you are merely trying to discuss a slight variation on Sitchin's theme.

What has led you to believe the Sumerians had any advanced knowledge whatsoever? Do you know the texts Sitchin fabricated this information from? Do you know that the same translations he used are available free, right now, at Sacred-Texts.com? Have you read them yourself?

I doubt it. I mean, it sure doesn't sound like it.

Harte

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Yes but they're the size of Polish sausages. Way too thick to type on the small little keys without all sorts of typos. I'm sticking with my pencil! Don't blame me- they were your genes, Dad!

Dang! Got me on that one, don'tcha!

Originally posted by pierreletrek

This is a good point I wanted to make as well.

First, does Nibiru even exist? Most serious scholars say no.

Nonserious scholars also say no to this. They just do it while waving a rubber chicken and wearing a Groucho mask.

Originally posted by AshleyDAlso, someone said Nibiru comes around every 3,600 years and was responsible for the ice caps melting. If this is true, has there been any documentation in recorded history outside mythology that it came around again or shouldn't that men it would be due to make another appearance?

Not only is it not in recorded history, it's not even in any culture's mythology either.

Originally posted by AshleyDIt kind of sounds like hogwash to me, to be honest.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

Originally posted by AshleyDJust curious, though. I'm pretty ignorant on the whole subject.

Ashley,
Not so much as some others. "Hogwash" is an excellent word. I use it all the time. Get used to it. Maybe write a macro for the word "hogwash" so you don't wear out those sausage toes!

Daddy Harte

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Harte and Mojo, if you think this subject has already been 100% covered than feel free to leave.

Thanks for the offer but i think i'll hang around. You never know i might have something constructive to offer at some stage.

Btw if you'd checked out the links that have been supplied and used the search function you would find that it has been 100% covered.

Is there an echo in here.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
pierreletrek,

I'm saying, for a passable sci-fi story, read Sitchin. For the truth, research and read about the Sumerians/Babylonians, etc.

Cormac

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have watched quite a few documentries on this topic, i tend to agree with Gramhame Hancock in that i think our civilisation is decended from a parent one which was wiped out.
i- either by themselves as we seem to be nearly ready to do again
ii- somthing natural
iii- someone or somthing else.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

There's actually someone on this site who has some pretty interesting theories, not based off of Sitchin's mistranslations, but based off of Heiser's translations. If I remember correctly even Byrd was a having some problems trying to debunk it. It's interesting, not completely for the topic it's discussing, but by the way you can see how most religions are descended from the Sumerian one.

Stargates are real

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think i will take your advice after all Trauma and leave you to do as you will, as a parting gift for those that may be interested,

Here's some good info on the Sumerians. You'll note that there are perfectly good plausible reasons for their beliefs, you dont have to go looking for aliens or mysterious planets to find answers to their beliefs.

The Sumerians

Like people who were not yet civilized, the Sumerians saw movement around them as the magic of spirits, magic being the only explanation they had for how things worked. These spirits were their gods, and with many spirits around, the Sumerians believed in many gods - gods that had humanlike emotions. The Sumerians believed that the sun, moon and stars were gods. They believed in a goddess of the reeds that grew around them and in a goddess of the beer that they distilled.
The Sumerians believed that crops grew because of a male god mating with his goddess wife. They saw the hot and dry months of summer, when their meadows and fields turned brown, as a time of death of these gods. When their fields bloomed again in the autumn, they believed their gods were resurrected. They marked this as the beginning of their year, which they celebrated at their temples with music and singing.
The Sumerians could dig into the earth and within a few feet find water. They believed that the earth was a great disk floating on the sea. They called the sea Nammu, and they believed that Nammu was without a beginning in time. They believed that Nammu had created the fish they saw and the birds, wild pigs and other creatures that appeared on the marshy wet lands - a story of creation around two millennia before the Hebrews would put their own story of the creation into writing.
The Sumerians believed that Nammu had created heaven and earth, heaven splitting from earth as being the male god, An, and the earth being a goddess called Ki. They believed that Ki and An had produced a son called Enlil, who was atmosphere, wind and storm. The Sumerians believed that Enlil separated the day from night and that he had opened an invisible shell and let waters fall from the sky. They believed that with his mother, Ki, Enlil set the stage for the creation of plants, humans and other creatures, that he made seeds grow, that he shaped humanity from clay and imbued it, as it states in Genesis 2:7, with "the breath of life."

Ancient cultures were very competent astronomers, they didnt need help from anybody.

A significant circle of sevens - ancient astronomy

Early astronomers may have been effective in their time track of the lunar and solar orbits.
To augment tracking the spin and orbital cycles, stick or peg calendars appear to have sometimes been used. Artifacts of certain stick calendars reveal that both orbits (Moon and Sun) may have been measured and metered out through a track of equally-spaced lunar days and solar days.
By accounting for lunar weeks in segmented cycles of 7 lunar weeks (or 7 lunar quarters), early astronomers would inherently have been capable of effectively measuring and metering out the average synodic revolution of the Moon (29.53 days). Likewise, by accounting for a running cycle of 30 days, primitive astronomers would inherently have been capable of effectively measuring and metering out the average annual transit of the Sun (365.24 days).

1. The Sumerian and Akkadian Period (circa 3100-2100 BCE), astronomy

Sumer

Sumerians believed that the universe consisted of a flat disk enclosed by a tin dome. The Sumerian afterlife involved a descent into a gloomy netherworld to spend eternity in a wretched existence as a Gidim (ghost).

Why would the Sumerians believe this if they had knowledge of how the solar system really worked from the Annunaki?

Cheers mojo.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Harte all your doing is belittling people for going against the status-quo of translations. There are many different translations and interpretations of the Sumerian and Akkadian texts. Sorry if I don't accept the one you like as the definitive translation.

As for the Nibiru and its supposed 3600 year orbit, I found a planetoid while reading about Sedna last night that had an orbit that was close to 3600 years but now I am having trouble finding it. Can anyone help me out?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Trauma

It's not so much the "looking at different translations..." part as the "...and then using them to explain that the Sumerians thought space people came and made them from genetic manipulation from monkeys because the space people wanted gold and lived on a planet that doesn't exist and that's where we get Atlantis and the illuminati wants to cover it up!" part...

Can I ask why you people continue to post these topics if you flat and completely refuse to listen to people who have covered this ground many times and in some cases, have extensive knowledge of hte subject outweighing your own? Doesn't Sitchen have fansites?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Can I ask why you people continue to post these topics if you flat and completely refuse to listen to people who have covered this ground many times and in some cases, have extensive knowledge of hte subject outweighing your own? Doesn't Sitchen have fansites?

Perhaps because the journey is sometimes as important as the destination... and without new people taking that journey our understanding of the universe would never grow.

Also, how did these knowledgeable people acquire that knowledge in the first place. By seeking it, perhaps? Just because someone has already been on that journey it doesn't mean no one else should repeat it. You never know, they might actually come up with some new answers. .

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

There are many different translations and interpretations of the Sumerian and Akkadian texts.

No. There are only two. Sitchin's and everyone elses.

As for the Nibiru and its supposed 3600 year orbit, I found a planetoid while reading about Sedna last night that had an orbit that was close to 3600 years but now I am having trouble finding it. Can anyone help me out?

There are many trans Neptunian objects, including Pluto/Charon, Sedan and Eris. I'm not aware of any off hand with a 3,600 year orbit. But I do know that none have a 3,600 year elipitical orbit that brings the object within the inner System, close to Earth. I am 100% certain that had any object ever had such an orbit within, say, the past million years, we would not be here.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

A perfect depiction of our heliocentric solar system, with the moon included (the Sumerians considered the Moon a planet).

What? That's not perfect at all.

It doesn't look anything like the sun, nor do the bodies orbiting the center in any way accurately depict our current solar system.

What you are seeing is Saturn. It is proof that Velikovsky was right and that we once were a satellite of Saturn and that the heavens moved differently than they do now.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join