It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PROOF that Ancient Civilizations were as advanced as us!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dagar
reply to post by Harte

Why wreck it by continuously insulting people by referring to them as 'knotheads' etc

I thought "knotheads" was being kind!

No, really. Please note that I left it to each individual to decide if he was or was not one of the "knotheads" to which I referred.

Plus, what is a knothead exactly? A knot in a piece of wood is an extremely tough section to break or cut through. When I say knotheads, I mean people that hold on to their original line of thought regardless of how many times they've been show to be either wrong or probably wrong.

So far, in this thread anyway, nobody has come back and said "Harte: I don't care what you say and I'm not going to look at the evidence because I already know what I want to believe so I'm going to continue to assert that my belief is factual regardless of how much evidence there is out there to the contrary" (or words to that effect.)

Originally posted by DagarGoing back to my original criticism of your friend who threw the hissy fit. People will visit a website like ATS, see people discussing ideas and want both to join in and contribute and hopefully learn something in the process.

Which friend was this again?

Originally posted by DagarSeveral ways to guarantee turning off people that you may be trying to educate, or have a discussion with, is to criticise them for bringing up a previously discussed topic, deride the topic (or point of view) they may be putting forth, telling people (constantly) how superior your understanding and knowledge is to their's and how stupid they are, and calling them insulting names

I have to add to this that the search function at this site is not exactly user friendly.

Originally posted by DagarTo be completely honest, anyone taking the above approach, regardless of the message they are trying to impart, gets a big fat 'don't want to know' from me straight away

As I stated, I don't really care what you or anyone else "wants to know." My posts here aren't really for your benefit.

Originally posted by DagarThe original poster made a proposition. People interested in the subject joined in the discussion. Coming in, chucking toys around in a hissy fit, calling people names, and generally behaving in a rude and superior manner adds NOTHING to the discussion.

"Hissy.." again?

Please. Posting crapola is posting crapola. If a person doesn't know that he's full of it, that's his problem. Nobody took me by the hand and showed me the folly of my former "alternative" ways. I had to learn all this stuff for myself without even people like me or Byrd or Mojo or Marduk or Essan....etc. trying to tell me where I was wrong.

All I can say to your admonishment about not shooting down total bull when it gets pitched in a thread here is this:

If you're gonna post some silly claim, you better make sure you've at least made some effort to discover the veracity of the claim because you might just run up on somebody that's sick and tired of telling people over and over again that (for example) the Egyptians didn't use hieroglyphics to paint pictures any more than you use the letter "A" to depict a stealth fighter.

Harte

[edit on 2/7/2008 by Harte]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dagar
reply to post by Harte

Several ways to guarantee turning off people that you may be trying to educate, or have a discussion with, is to criticise them for bringing up a previously discussed topic,

That is the reason why people are asked to use the search function.

This search took me about 4 minutes using the terms "Sumerian, alien and technology", i just grabbed 5 threads. There were dozens of others. I'm sure i could sort through the Ancient civs forum for 1/2 an hour and come up with a dozen more that discuss the exact same thing as this thread. I'm not saying it's not a worthy discussion just that it has already been rehashed heaps of times. There are a multitude of threads that you could add this discussion to.

Ats threads:

Sumerian Origins of Humans - How religion and science combine!

The whole Planet X theory

the real Stargate-SG1

It was not about WMD it was Alien Tech and Sumerian knowledge!

The Annunaki and the Sumerian cylinders

The reason people get ticked off is because it is lazy not to use the search function, ive been guilty of it myself and been berated for it.

Search is your friend.

[edit on 7/2/08 by mojo4sale]

[edit on 7/2/08 by mojo4sale]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
In Hathor's Temple at Abydos.

It's words, people, not pictures.

use the freakin search function for goodness sake.

Now here's a friendly fellow. Anyways, isn't that exactly what hieroglyphics are? Pictures used for words?

Anyways, that still doesn't help anyone. Do you know what these "words" are saying and why they look so similar to space age aircraft? Thanks.

Next time, don't be so caustic.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Has anyone noted on the original diagram that Saturn is just viewed as a planet and not a planet with a ring.

Okay Saturn may not have had a ring then - but if you ask someone to draw Saturn - they will draw the ring.

I accept that the ancients could have known more about certain areas of science than us (an African village knew about Sirius' twin white dwarf star!). There is no logic to say that we have absolutely every advances in all areas of science.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
I've read a lot of stuff about the Sumerians. And to answer your question bert- The Sumerians believed in the Annunaki which translates to "those who from heaven came to earth" and they believed the Annunaki were their gods. The way they knew about all this stuff was that they were told by the annunaki who are supposedly from the 12th planet of the Sumerians.. or our 10th planet.. or 9th if you don't want to include pluto anymore. Sumerians are very interesting indeed.. But what I don't understand is if they were so advanced, why make drawings on clay? Why not do something on photoshop?

I would assume, if they in fact DID have such advanced knowledge, that the reason was because, writing in this manner doesn't ultimately lead to the destruction of the planet via pollution. Whereas computers which run on electricity and offer applications like photoshop, ultimately lead to destruction.

Advanced knowledge, primitive living, this is the way it's done. Ultimately, the highest level of advancement is spiritual, what would they need photoshop for ? they dont NEED anything, Only people who arent living, need more things and 'technology'.

Either that or, they were taught the knowledge of the stars and such, but the technology was withheld from them, because it breaks galactic laws. Each civilizations is supposed to evolve in it's own way, no un-earned knowledge is supposed to be given. The penalty for that is pretty severe, probably what people saw over Nureburg in the 1500's.

J

[edit on 7-2-2008 by mortalengine]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
AshleyD,

This should help you out.

www.catchpenny.org...

To mojo4sale, Harte, et al. Too bad there isn't a forum for things like this that we already know what they are. Would cut down on rehashing why the alternate theory is wrong.

Cormac

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Originally posted by Harte
In Hathor's Temple at Abydos.

It's words, people, not pictures.

use the freakin search function for goodness sake.

Now here's a friendly fellow. Anyways, isn't that exactly what hieroglyphics are? Pictures used for words?

Anyways, that still doesn't help anyone. Do you know what these "words" are saying and why they look so similar to space age aircraft? Thanks.

Next time, don't be so caustic.

Okay, here's me using the search function for you.
Try this thread.

Try this one too.

This was only 2 of a large number dealing with this subject.

Look for yourself next time, willya?

I ain't yore Daddy.

Harte

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Sorry not to have been involved in the discussion today - lost my internet connection at work

Anyway, I still enjoy trying to point people in the direction of verifiable facts (I won't be so presumptious to say the truth, though invariably that's what it is, insofar as anything can be 'true'). It's fun (usually) and, I hope, educational and helps people. There will always be new people coming across some of the more outlandish theories for the first time - we were all there once, including me (I really did believe in ancient astronauts and Atlantis in Antarctica once upon a time!)

I do miss Byrd and Nygdan though - I see Byrd occasionally posts on Hall of Maat but I think also she's busy with her studies, not sure where Nygdan went? But I think we have a good team here anyway - even if we do annoy some folk but quickly debunking their ideas

As for the Sumerian cylinder seal, just another of Mr Sitchin's legacies to the world ..... He has so much to answer for!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whargoul

First off I don't think debunkers "are bad and want to hurt us". Did you not see the posts addressing my comment about "why didn't they make stuff in photoshop if they were so advanced"?

Secondly why did you even bother posting in this thread if you're "so sick and tired of it"? I tend to try to avoid threads that don't interest me, I wish you would've done the same. Shove off, you weren't invited. Sorry we were having a discussion amongst ourselves about the possibilities behind this picture.

Question to Harte- Since when did you become the foremost authority on ancient hieroglyphics and/or sumerian clay texts? Again, you weren't invited to the discussion either, so I don't understand why you felt you HAD to come here and put your two- unappreciated- cents in here.

The attitude of hardcore debunkers is so piss-poor it amazes me. They have to resort to calling people names, trying to make people feel stupid, and derailing threads. That's probably why your buddy got banned. Grow up and come back when you won't throw a tantrum when new people want to discuss a topic they haven't discussed.

Harte and whargoul's new title- Thread Derailer Extrodinaire

[edit on 7-2-2008 by Ketzer22]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Why create drawings on clay and walls, if you have the technology to see millions of miles into space?

Not saying they had the technology to see that far out into space, but I have a hard time believing that clay is such a primitive medium considering we're staring at clear writings from a society that existed thousands of years ago.

What do we use mainly, thin slices of trees? Books and certainly not digital information can be reliably stored for so long (thousands of years) and still be so easily comprehended with a quick glance. Their communication here also involves more universal images than the complex words derived from abstract sets of "letters" we've invented. I can acquire much more information about the subject matter from that clay tablet than I could any book in Chinese (unless it also had pictures
).

Just because it's different and may at first seem primitive to us doesn't mean that it really is.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by bsbray11]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Flagged for future reference. Nice find

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8-2-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
It says in the Sumerian texts that humans were created by space traveling aliens who mixed their DNA with a hominid from Earth. These aliens could have passed the knowledge to them.
I don't know if I believe it, but it explains the missing link between monkeys and men.

I totally believe it

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8-2-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Didn't wanna read everything, but in response to the OP...

This COULD be a way that they knew about the planets. Mathematics. Though we have NOT found a pattern yet to the number or orbits of planets, someone has come close. Those of you may know about the Tidus-Bode Law.

The Titius-Bode law (sometimes termed just Bode's law) is a hypothesis that the semi-major axes of planets in the solar system follow a simple rule. It was discredited with the discovery of Neptune in 1846.

This mathematical formula predicts the distance and orbit of all planets except that of Neptune/Pluto. (though it is close for Neptune)

en.wikipedia.org...

Not saying this is what they used, but it would be a way to know the basics concerning planets without having spacecraft, telescopes, computers, etc. Simple math. Perhaps there is some lost formula that predicts such things. (Burned in Alexandria's library?) Just a thought.

I would agree that the ancient were intelligent, but perhaps in a different way. They seemed to be more in touch with nature. More wise let's say. Noticing patterns in nature, using other means for knowledge rather than advanced technology. As opposed to being book smart, as most of us have become.

We may never know for certain - just throwing this out there

[edit on 7-2-2008 by SolPower]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Youll have to watch the Stargate extra features to know

I watched it about 2 years ago, so I forget the exact details.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cormac mac airt

Thank you very much, Cormac. That did help.

reply to post by Harte

Thanks for doing that for me. Due to being born without fingers, it saved me the trouble of having to type in all the queries by holding a pencil in my mouth to push the keys. Thanks, Dad.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
First of all, I recall my previous statement about the Sumerians believing humans were created by the Annunaki. That story is in the original Hebrew translation of the Old Testament.
Harte and Mojo, if you think this subject has already been 100% covered than feel free to leave. Essan, I appreciate your rebuttals and link to Sitchiniswrong.com and I find that Heiser makes quite a valid argument to Zecharia Sitchin's theory.

Welcome to the website devoted to addressing the flaws of the ancient astronaut hypothesis popularized in the writings of Zecharia Sitchin.

The website has the sole intention of proving Sitchin wrong however, which makes it slightly biased.

The preconceived notion that every person interested in the subject of the Sumerians (having advanced knowledge of our solar system) is a die-hard follower of Zecharia Sitchin is completely false.

I am trying to discuss a different perspective of my own which has NOT been discussed on ATS. Sitchin believed that the Sumerians thought the Sun to be a planet, which I completely disagree on. He also asserts that the Sumerians thought the Moon was a planet, which is an idea I am open to but lean away from.
I'm starting to wonder if the Sumerians counted some of our dwarf planets like Ceres and Eris instead of Charon and the Moon to make twelve planets.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SolPower

That's quite fascinating. I have read about the Mayans complex mathematics of astronomy that allowed them to create the infamous Mayan calendar, but never really considered it for the Sumerians.
Of course the same question arises when discussing the Mayans: How did they get this advanced knowledge?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It is my opinion that if someone is describing something that would be considered advanced knowledge, and they are recording it on a primitive medium (one can only assume it is for lack of a better substance than clay or stone), then the people recording the information are not the same people who devised the information.

I often wonder just how far back human racial memory goes. If God(s) created man, and man appeared on the fossil record around 160,000 years ago, that is a hell of a long time to be passing down the story that would become Genesis.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sethdarke

They were TOLD by the annunaki how the world worked and where the planets were, they might even have been shown first hand....some might even have been taken to their planet...

point is, the annunaki were advanced, not the sumerians...

Bingo!

That is a very important point that most seem to miss.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Isn't this Akkadian in origin and not Sumerian?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join