It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PROOF that Ancient Civilizations were as advanced as us!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Excellent cheers Harte ... just had a quick look ... theres alot there!!! ....looks like it will give me some good grounding when reading about those times .... thank you

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

A perfect depiction of our heliocentric solar system, with the moon included (the Sumerians considered the Moon a planet). Pluto and Charon are even depicted as a tiny pair. We only discovered Pluto in 1930, and in 2005 that it and Charon are a double planet.

Except...if they include moons as planets...there should be MANY more on there. Especially if as you claim they somehow had advanced knowledge

And since they didn't, your entire argument is basically moot I'm afraid.

Jupiter alone has 63 moons for crying out loud

Also, you claiming the Sumerians were the first civilization is wrong too

edit on 29-11-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Also, the Sumer aren't the first civilization...they were just the first to leave WRITINGS behind.

This postulates that there is no single "cradle", but several independent developments of civilization, of which the Near Eastern Neolithic was the first. The extent to which there was significant influence between the early civilizations in the Fertile Crescent and East Asia is disputed, while the civilizations of the Andes and Mesoamerica are accepted as having emerged independently from those in Eurasia.

LINK

The Natufian culture was the first "civilization"...but even so, they weren't the first modern humans on the planet

edit on 29-11-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Depends on your definition of civilization.

Without agriculture or a written language, the Natufian culture would not be considered a "civilization" by most Anthropologists.

That's why the word "culture" is attached to their name.

Harte

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Depends on your definition of civilization.

Without agriculture or a written language, the Natufian culture would not be considered a "civilization" by most Anthropologists.

That's why the word "culture" is attached to their name.

Harte

I would add that the 'working definition' of what a civilization was, was done in the 17-19th century by Europeans who used the example of Ancient Greece and Rome (most if not all the people in that discussion would have had a classical education); what those civilizations had was also what another culture needed to be considered a ' civilization'. Because of that in some writings the Inca, Maya and Aztecs were not 'awarded' Civilization' status until much later

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Trauma

Or back in those times things in the galaxy were much closer than they are today and being able to observe them back then was much easier than it is today. With that though, I have seen some interesting photos of ancient technology, the ancient babylonian battery is one example. Your take on the subject is also a possibility.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Or back in those times things in the galaxy were much closer than they are today and being able to observe them back then was much easier than it is today.

That's an interesting guess, but not so. The Moon would have been 60m closer 6000 years ago. It moves away from us around 1cm a year. The Earth moves away form the Sun at around 15cm a year. Would that make much of a difference in being able to view these objects? No.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

The Sumerians had a pretty good understanding and if nothing else, must of had good telescopes. For something that old to depict the solar system is pretty unique also considering not so long ago we only found a few of the outer planets. How they done it, who knows.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sethdarke

They were TOLD by the annunaki how the world worked and where the planets were, they might even have been shown first hand....some might even have been taken to their planet... point is, the annunaki were advanced, not the sumerians...

Agreed. The Sumerian were the first human civilization om Earth, and it's true that they knew a great many things. I think also that some were taken into space, and showed first hand, and others were just schooled in the knowledge thereof.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
The Sumerians had a pretty good understanding and if nothing else, must of had good telescopes. For something that old to depict the solar system is pretty unique also considering not so long ago we only found a few of the outer planets. How they done it, who knows.

The Sumerians didn't know any planets other than the ones visible to the naked eye.

They never wrote one word about any of the other planets (of course.) Nor did they depict any of them in any of their artwork (again, of course.)

Harte

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
To be honest, think about the amount of light pollution now, and then think about it back then. I bet the sky looked like a fricken fireworks contest. And I am willing to bet some of the people back then had nothing better to do than stare at the stars for countless nights. Once you start to memorize places and patterns, you will start to notice that we only have a few bodies that revolve around our sun in comparison to the rest of the stars we see in the sky. After this, I'm sure some dude got down in the clay and started to doodle with his stick the patterns he was observing in the sky.

I don't know why this is considered such a complex feat for the people back in those times. Everyone thinks it's impossible for ancient civilizations to have any knowledge of complex features of earth - but the human brain has been working pretty well for as long as civilization has existed.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Trauma

You know, this is why people believe in the ancient alien theory. Don't get me wrong, I think that there have been ancient aliens influencing our world for a very long time.

Just think, how on Earth would you go about finding out about a planet that is out past Pluto, without any sort of telescope? It's impossible to know and distinguish a planet from that distance. They had to have had help.

There are also many more theories that state that the fertile crescent is the most abundant place for certain minerals. There are very high concentrations of gold and copper that the Sumerians were supposed to mine, The aliens genetically engineered the Sumerians. Every certain time period, the Sumerians would have to present the gold to the aliens. Apparently because gold is a super conductor, it is/was perfect for their spacecrafts. They used it with magnetics and electricity frequencies to produce anti gravity. I don't remember all the details.

But it would explain why our entire civilization has been so set on gold, and nothing but gold. Why every nation hordes it, and why the price and standard for gold is so important.

Just sayin'

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

The Sumerians did not know about any planets other than those visible to the unaided eye. They did not leave much in the way of information about their astronomical studies. Most of that is inferred from the use of Sumerian names in Babylonian tablets. Not sure where you have come to these mistaken ideas about Sumer and astronomy.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
reply to post by stereologist

That's the thing, they HAVEN'T done it!! They found some celestial objects, but added others that clearly aren't planets, or left out others that would belong to the same group.

Were they advanced for their time...sure! But they did NOT accurately describe our solar system

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join