It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's assume "time travel" a possibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Let's assume for a moment that our government, and other governments around the world were able now (this is in response to the A-51 threads) to manipulate the timeline.

Would we even know it?

In the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode entitled, "Yesterday's Enterprise" such "time tinkerings" happen...

Guinan's alien instincts lead her to believe that the Federation's current war with the Klingons is the result of the U.S.S. Enterprise-C's presence in their future. Certain that the ship is now existing in the wrong time line, she pleads with Picard to send the U.S.S. Enterprise-C back through the rift in order to change the course of events, which has resulted in the loss of 40 billion lives during the Klingon conflict.

She had "alien instincts" that let her know that the timeline had "changed".

Would we as a species be able to tell if events in history had changed?

Would we wake up one morning and just feel "fine" with a total re-write of our history, because we have shifted from one time-line to another?

If mankind ever does, or might be currently tinkering with time-lines...is there any way we would ever be able to tell?

I'm just throwing this out there for conjecture and discussion...is there any way to "mentally" isolate one's self from the effects of shifting time lines?

I propose that time alteration and experimentation is akin to opening a Pandora's Box.

Once you enter, you never can escape.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, comments...anyone?

[edit on 6-2-2008 by MystikMushroom]

[edit on 6-2-2008 by MystikMushroom]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
No one?

I thought this was a very well thought-out (maybe misplaced?) idea to get a conversation going.

Hm...Perhaps I am to much of a sci-fi fan for most?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
That is actually one of my favorite NG episodes. I personally believe in alternate universe theory. Basically for every decision made, all of the other possible outcomes are played out in another "universe" or maybe "time-line" as you are referring to. This sort of scenario goes into the "not sure" category based on the fact that there is not enough solid data/evidence of this possibility. I personally hope and believe it to be true, but you never know.

Good to see another Sci-Fi fan! Starred and flagged.

-Droops

join