It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University is a slavery?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
Do you think that once you sign up for university, you're officially declared as a slave? Like when university takes you, you're entering a life debt, wouldn't that be correct enough?

Education has become a commodity to be bought and sold. It's a pity, as it should be free to all who want it.

But it does cost money. Someone has to pay my wages, heh. So, we either raise taxes quite a bit and fund Universities that way, or students pay.

I don't really care which.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

I can imagine trying to give free education to most kids who wants to go for fun instead of trying to get a degree. If these spoiled kids dropping out of highschool in waves, then whats the point of trying to fund colleges? In one of my classes I had 80 people, a month later its 40, then it got lesser. Whos paying for this crap????? Yeah the students who pay in the first place, and chose to drop the class. Professors don't care.

Thats why I don't support paying taxes for something which students who are lazy can easily waste on. Half the class were busy playing games in the back with their laptops.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
If these spoiled kids dropping out of highschool in waves, then whats the point of trying to fund colleges? In one of my classes I had 80 people, a month later its 40, then it got lesser. Whos paying for this crap?????

Well, I would assume universities would expect a certain ability in a student. If they are dropping out of high-school, then they would have a bit of work still to do to make it to a higher level.

I can't answer the question about who's paying, because I don't know the specifics. But if you think about it, it doesn't cost that much more to pay a lecturer to teach 40, than 80 - apart from the marking time.

The reverse issue is that we are pushing people who are just not suited to higher education into this pathway. It's actually becoming expected of kids to go on to university, it's getting like a pre-work creche. Because unis make $$$, no-one wants to turn them away, or even fail them. A more senior colleague of mine basically says the entry requirements are 'a spinal cord and a heartbeat', heh.

It's all about $$$ now. I'd rather give people a chance at taxpayers cost, then feel I can fail them without someone higher up the chain overlooking their lack of ability, than to be helping the system to squeeze every $ out of kids they can.

But as I said, I don't care that much anymore. I'm at the point of acceptance.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What if you don't do well in the course? Will you still have to pay for the course you've taken?

Like, if you fail to get a degree or anything........will you still have to pay?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I completed my degree as a mature aged student. I went to uni because I wanted to be there. In Oz we have a system whereby you pay admin fees upfront at enrolment each year. The course fees can be deferrred if one is eligible. A percentage is deducted from your salary each pay and at tax time if your yearly salary is over the minimum theshhold, then all that money deducted is paid off your debt. If you have not reached the minimum threshold, you receive a tax refund and can then elect to spend it on something else, or just pay a lump sum. If not paid annually, there is an increment that is added. It's called HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme) and it is a Federal Government scheme.

I took availability of this scheme, I am NOT A FINANCIAL SLAVE, I got what I wanted and was able to do it at the right time for me. I know how to budget accordingly to meet the debt...nothing is free.

University has empowered me mentally. I am more open minded and prone to question everything.

just my experience.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
What if you don't do well in the course? Will you still have to pay for the course you've taken?

Like, if you fail to get a degree or anything........will you still have to pay?

Yes, you still have to pay. For the fact that "if you fail to get a degree" you fail. You have to put the work in. You're not paying for a degree, you are paying for the classes that are required in order to get a degree.

Every college and university is not priced in the same range either. Community college is a lot cheaper than state university which is a lot cheaper than a private university which is cheaper still than Ivy League. It just depends on where the school is and what the school is.

You need to contact universities to get information from them. Email or call. Speak with an admissions counselor. See if you can arrange a tour. It seems like you are pretty unfamiliar with the whole process, and that's okay because it can be a scary process. But don't be so cynical that you stop considering it outright.

Believe it or not, going to college can be a really great experience. You get out of it what you put into it. If you go and party, you're not going to do that well. If you go and apply yourself, who knows what doors you could open.

Don't forget about asking about scholarships and financial aid opportunities. Those help out a lot of people. There are even grants that don't need to be repaid, so no slavery or indentured servitude required.

Good luck. Keep asking questions, and keep an open mind!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Personally I believe thinking you have to go to college is a slave way of thinking. The fact is, now days it's not what you know it's who you know. for instance, i found it interesting on one of the seasons of "the aprentice" they had two groups of people: the street smart group and the book smart group. trump made the comment that the street smart groups combined income was more than twice that of the book smart groups (just a thought).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join