It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China heightens Christian persecution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

China heightens Christian persecution

www.religionandspirituality.com

The year 2007 saw a dramatic increase in persecution of Christians in China, according to China Aid in its annual report Wednesday. The 60 known cases covered 18 provinces and one municipality, up 30.4 percent from 2006.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Good thing this doesn't happen in the US... or does it? Can anything be done to curb it in China? They must not want anything to do with the West anymore. Not even Christianity. Seems weird thought that they would do this when the people were operating legally. Sounds like there is more to the story that is missing.

www.religionandspirituality.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
There is. For a church to register they, usually have to be part of 'approved' churches, run BY the government officials put in place!
The three self patriotic church seems to be the most prevalent 'accepted' church.
HIGHLY regulated! They have to listen to (sometimes) atheistic, communist preachers.
Chinese Christians
BTW, I've started two threads about the crackdown on chinese Christians and dissenters and I got hardly, ONE contributive post!
Here
And Here!

IMO, The government is really trying to put on a 'unified' face for the olympics.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Good point clearskies. You know it will be interesting to see how the Olympics play out. With China now becoming a bigger force in the world, I wonder what will happen if anything. With stories like these and those of China "cracking down" on Chinese websites, how can people buy their hype?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

The way I see it, in Revelation it gives clues about the Beast rising out of the sea.
The Beast is red. Will communism be the worldwide Beast? I and many others, think so. We'd better fight it while we can!
Of course, the Woman ON the Beast is dressed in scarlet and purple, so, Rome will control the Beast, until they turn on her and destroy her!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Big problem with that. We are not strong enough, currently that is, both economically or militarily to fight Communism. We are too busy fighting terrorism. We are overextended. We will be lucky if we can protect ourselves at home (US). that is a scary thing.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Exactly!
Nixon opened up talks with China. Clinton practically handed them the Nuclear bomb and scientists to make it!
We let them buy our debt, buy Naval bases and move unhindered(almost) to the monopoly of production. Where from here?
I'm glad to hear you're considering these things.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Thanks. I have told people I am not anti-religion, I am just not religious myself. There is a big difference. But some just can't understand that. I am glad at least one person does.

If you do not consider all of these things, IMO, you are leading a completely blind life.
We have no one to blame but ourselves.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

The way I see it, in Revelation it gives clues about the Beast rising out of the sea.
The Beast is red. Will communism be the worldwide Beast? I and many others, think so. We'd better fight it while we can!
Of course, the Woman ON the Beast is dressed in scarlet and purple, so, Rome will control the Beast, until they turn on her and destroy her!

It sounds to me like the Beast is the US of A. The New World, literally came out of nowhere. From the POV of the people writing the bible it exists in an area that should be, at best, open ocean. The color of red is the color of power and more importantly the color of conservatism.

Overly conservative and power-hungry Christians within the USA will turn on the Catholic hierarchy in Rome and become the very Beast they seek to stop.

Jon

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

Interesting take Voxel. Thanks for another view. I don't know if it will be the Christians turning on the Catholics in Rome, but I am sure someone is going to be doing it soon.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel

It sounds to me like the Beast is the US of A. The New World, literally came out of nowhere. From the POV of the people writing the bible it exists in an area that should be, at best, open ocean. The color of red is the color of power and more importantly the color of conservatism.

Here's a site that has a lot to say about Russia, as well as America.
here
I don't have the concentration to read all of it, right now.
But, it's interesting about the Russian angle.
Although, I'm not a Puritan.

Certainly Conservatism is NOT the Beast.

Overly conservative and power-hungry Christians within the USA will turn on the Catholic hierarchy in Rome and become the very Beast they seek to stop.
Jon

I have heard of the Joel's army(or something) and others, who believe in
taking over and meting out judgement on the heathen. NOT biblical!
But, keep in mind that Rome WILL control the Beast, at first.
We're not exactly a nation known for our Papal adherence!

The E.U., On the other hand Has close relations with Rome.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The PRC is certainly a repressive regime, whether they're "communist" anymore in anything but name is an open question.

They claim to be, at the same time they are embracing capitalism while eschewing democracy and pluralism.

They're not hostile to Christianity in particular, they're hostile to anything that represents a threat to the primacy of the state. What they've done to Christians doesn't compare to what they've done to Falun Gong practitioners or Tibetan Buddhists.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

or Muslims, or Hindus, or Tengriists... Oh, and just try to be a practicing Taoist in China... Taoism has had a sword at its throat since the inception of Legalist doctrine. And of course there's all the numerous people being persecuted for non-religious reasons

Can some of these kind, loving, hand-wringing Christians on the board explain why they don't give a damn about all these other people China is persecuting? Just like coverage of Darfur, why do only the Christians matter?

[edit on 6-2-2008 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by xmotex

or Muslims, or Hindus, or Tengriists... Oh, and just try to be a practicing Taoist in China... Taoism has had a sword at its throat since the inception of Legalist doctrine. And of course there's all the numerous people being persecuted for non-religious reasons

Can some of these kind, loving, hand-wringing Christians on the board explain why they don't give a damn about all these other people China is persecuting? Just like coverage of Darfur, why do only the Christians matter?

[edit on 6-2-2008 by TheWalkingFox]

Because the other people aren't Christian and I'm assuming are leading "sinful lives" by not being Christian, therefore they are bringing it upon themselves, or at least that's what I'd assume someone conservative might have to say on the subject.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'd rather my comments not be used to attack Christians, religious persecution or intolerance of any kind is something I object to.

I don't think we can assume anything about the Christian posters here or their positions on other issues, Christians are as varied as Muslims or any other religious group.

I was just pointing out that Christians shouldn't feel as if they are being singled out by the PRC

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

There`s a LOT that your link does not say.

For example, what was the offending nature of the publications? What were the circumstances of missionaries being expelled?

Given China`s history with christian extremism (see: Taiping Rebellion, for example), it`s a question worth asking.

On the second - I`ve met missionaries in China. Some - not all - but certainly the ones I met, saw themselves as outside the law in one very important respect: Visa status.

They saw themselves as doing "God`s Work", spreading the good news - and were all there on Tourist Visas.... and picking up a little cash on the side teaching a foreign language, and accepting a bit of payment from church collections, and taking room and board donated by local families. Working, and receiving payment in cash and in kind.

Violating the terms of their visa, in other words. Breaking the law. That`s a deportaion offence if you`re lucky anywhere in the world. Most places will throw a bit of jail time into the bargain - regardless of your deep spiritual convictions.

Most estimates put the Christian population of China at 40,000,000 to 54,000,000. The "dramatic increase" your article talks about refers to 788 people, up 18% from the previous year. 100 of which were foreign missionaries, deported. SIXTEEN PEOPLE - 16 - were jailed, for charges that the article doesn`t go into detail about.

Looking at the numbers, and the distinct lack of details, I`m thinking that it`s a little too early to be talking about dramatic increases, or even shifts in government opinion.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
RANT TIME: Why is it when someone starts a thread about a certain religion other than Christianity it always comes back to Christianity in some way with condescending and insulting remarks? Then when there is a thread about something that not a single humane soul could agree with (the persecution of human beings for their religious beliefs) the question becomes, "What about the other guys!" Give it a rest, please. This is something that needs to be discussed and not turned into a brouhaha of faiths. Show some respect for once.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER: The entire situation over there in the East makes me sick to my stomach. Religious believers of many faiths are getting persecuted simply for believing in something the government has not sanctioned. Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, and Taoists are having to run for the hills. Isn't the Dalai Lama even in exile right now? Downright scary what is going on over there but at least more people are starting to get more vocal about it. My heart goes out to everyone.

TO EVERYONE: Has anyone see THIS site? It will break your heart and infuriate you at the same time.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
TO EVERYONE: Has anyone see THIS site? It will break your heart and infuriate you at the same time.

Taking a leaf through that site now.

Could you clarify a term for me? I keep seeing it, and I`m not sure what to make of it: "house church".

What exactly does that mean? At least one of them was big enough for 10,000 people, but it`s still called a "house church".

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Don't flatter yourself. It has nothing to do with your religion, it has to do with bias in reporting and in reaction.

Why do you never hear about religious persecution unless it's against Christians?
Why do you never hear about abducted children unless it's a pretty white girl?
Why do dead Iraqis never have names?

No, Christians aren't the only one getting the shaft in China. They are the only ones getting airtime for their plight there, however. Nobody here is giving China a thumbs-up, or putting down Christianity or anything. But some of us are apaprently getting frustrated with the awkwardly lopsided way the media covers things.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Not sure. A lot of Christians in the East have to meet each other in their houses for secret worship serves and out in the woods. Not sure how it would hold 10,000 people, though.

Then I found THIS on Wikipedia for you. Not sure if that is the same thing or not. The only time I've heard of "house churches" is in reference to those who hold services in their homes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join