It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to veto spy bill if immunity omitted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Bush to veto spy bill if immunity omitted

www.blacklistednews.com

WASHINGTON � President Bush threatened a veto Tuesday in the debate to update terrorist surveillance laws, assailing Democratic plans to deny protection from lawsuits for telecommunications providers that let the government spy on U.S. residents after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
seattletimes.nwsource.com

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Veto has become Bush's favorite word since his SOTU address. I have not seen many opinions regarding the proposed immunity situation. Wondering how people feel about this. Do you think the telecom companies should be granted immunity from distributing cell phone calls to the government. Again, this is being deemed "necessary for the protection of the nation". Is it really?

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Along with Veto, his second favorite word is UNACCOUNTABILITY...This guy wants free reign to piss all over American citizens, and now he's encouraging the telecom companies to do so as well. I wonder if the 'secretive' mass auction being ran by the gov to buy up telecom airways has any connection to this?

[edit on 6-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Another new word. I wonder if he can pronounce that one?

What's up DD. I would venture to say that there is a definite connection between the two. Funny how they come around at the same time isn't it?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow, I don't think Bush realizes his next job should most defiantly be comedian. I mean seriously it this not the funniest thing you have heard all day. Veto the Bill PLEASE. Why do we need to redefine FISA anyway, oh ya thats right to cover Bush's hiney. What a clown. The only reason this sounds threatening is because security is such a buzz word in the US today. FISA has worked fine for over 30 years it does not need to be reformed.

I absolutely believe with all of my heart and mind that any company that agreed to break laws, regardless of who asked them to, should be held accountable. Just like Bush and all the Dumb Donkeys that surround him should be held accountable.

Palehorse thanks for posting this, I needed a good laugh.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

No problem, I thought it might get some chuckles. Chalk up another one for the pres. Maybe he will take his "act" on the road.
On topic, I agree whole heartedly as well. FISA is fine. The reform of this is why I believe there are nefarious reasons for all of this increase in domestic spying. He must really want to go out with a bang. I just wonder how big of one it will be.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

LMAO!!!

Seriously, would Congress please grow a spine and try Pinnochio and Dick Insaney for war crimes and illegal warrantless tapping of their citizens already? This guy is guilty of commiting half the crimes we have a law for...Oh wait, he AMENDED them. lol

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
reply to post by Animal

He must really want to go out with a bang. I just wonder how big of one it will be.

Dear god man don't say things like that! They make me feel sick to my stomach. Not because of you because I put no hainous act past these soulless minions of EVIL.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Maybe it's just me but after reading this article and the usual carefully selected words, exchanging "eaves drop" or "spy" for "security tools" to keep America Safe. I find a rather disgusting manipulation being used here to extort or blackmale Congress into aiding and abetting a crime.

It is clear that this was done illegally and from what I understand, the telecoms were reluctant to go along with this but BushT assured them this was for National Security and most likely made some promises he thought at the time he could keep. Now there are approximately 40 law suits pending against the telecoms for breaking the law. They knew it was illegal and so did BushT. Now he is under pressure to get this out of the way before the trials begin and he has all the telecoms getting angry if he reneges on his assurances for any legal ramifications resulting from this.

We know BushT got himself retroactive immunity last week with the bill they signed covering his ass all the way back to 911/2001 HOWEVER,. once subpoenas are sent along with deuces tecum, this will open the door for "discovery" where I think it may exploit BushT for any promises made that may be an abuse of power. So that may be why he is so motivated to keep this from going to discovery in a class action suit.

Now here is where this gets sickening, you read the article and it is given importance and status as integral to Americans safety and security, (keep that in mind.) Now it is given urgency with an early threat that if the addendum isn't returned with the ass saving grace of a congress, Busht is requesting they relinquish there obligations for the rule of law and oversight or else. The "or else" being the threat of the Veto.

It is disingenuous if not outright cowardice of BushT to use this as a Security measure for the American people yet he is quite willing to put himself and his cronies first at the risk of those same Americans security if Congress calls his Bluff.

He will just say,, OK then if you aren't going to help me get away with another felony, then Ill veto this or that and the American People are without this "so called" protection.

What a self serving, lobby licking, piece of Garbage.

Not only is this blatantly abusing his power of office if Congress capitulates under duress but it is so indicative of his "ME First", "what about me" mentality. I imagine BushT would have been wearing a dress on the day the titanic sunk and would have tossed woman and children over the side to make room for his own ass in a life boat.

I mean he is looking like that much,,

a coward.

- Con

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Now there are approximately 40 law suits pending against the telecoms for breaking the law. They knew it was illegal and so did BushT. Now he is under pressure to get this out of the way before the trials begin and he has all the telecoms getting angry if he reneges on his assurances for any legal ramifications resulting from this.

I think you are onto it with this comment man. I think it is highly possible that what Bush fears the most is the telecoms turning on him when they do not receive the immunity he promised. Thus in retaliation they spill the dirt they have on him, which they undoubtedly do, to some degree, after working with him to so carelessly break federal laws.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Doesn't this say that contracts mean nothing? Like when United Airlines reneged on their pension plans? Corporation can do anything with the complicity of the Govenment. I'm sure the government told the telecoms that they would never be prosecuted. Didn't CIA agents try to get immunuty before Abu Ghraib came out? It's amazing that the same people who are supposed to be making and enforcing the law are the biggest criminals of all.

top topics

join