It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cut back funding for space exploration to help with Earthly issues?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ok, since the last thread where this topic was brought up was closed, I would like to hear some opinions on this matter.

Another thread brought up the idea about pulling funds from one expenditure (space travel), and putting them towards another (education). This is not EXACTLY what the last thread was about, just the idea about it. It is not happening, yet.

Anyway, our debt is growing wildly. We are funding a perpetual war to a ludicrous sum. Our education system is laughed at around the world. Things like the No Child Left Behind act help to dumb us down. This is only a small, small portion of the problems facing our nation. Not to mention all of the other problems going on internationally.

Would it be in our best interest to take money from our space programs, and invest them in stronger society and smarter people? Help fix some problems we face and develop new Earthly technologies?

IMO, yes it is. And trust me, you won't find ANYONE more passionate about the unknowns of space travel than myself. I WAS going to be an Astronomy major in college. I love it and am extremely passionate about it; however, despite that, I am FOR pulling money from there, and putting it back into Earth. The people it can save now, is worth several times what we can learn in space.

Just my opinion. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Interesting. It seemed like such a debatable issue this morning, yet there have been no responses.

I would love to hear from some people regarding this issue. IF someone were to make this happen, would you be for it?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I don't think the US actually spends that much on space exploration, something like $15 Billion a year. That money could actually be considered as being spent on education because scientists are learning about space and space technology. A lot of students study at MIT etc to work at NASA, so if you pull that funding it will be detrimental to the education system.

Also, the US is going to start facing some serious competition in space over the next few decades, and various countries may start competing for space contracts and mining opportunities. In my opinion now is not a good time to cutback on spending, infact I believe that spending should be increased. There are a lot of other programs the US can cutback spending on.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Cthulwho]

join