It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are You on ATS???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hello everyone.

I'm starting this thread just through curiosity.

I want to know the type of people that are on this site.
I've had the pleasure of interacting with some of you, and have a general idea of many member opinions through the reading of various threads, but I want to know what brought you to ATS...

I'll start with me:

Since I can remember, I have always had a BIG imagination. I'm creative and artistic, and being born in England, my entire family believed in ghosts.
I suppose this is what drew me into the paranormal.
In Middle and High School, when I came to the States, I found book sin the library for cryptozoology, UFOs, and ghost and psychic anomalies. Since I found that section in the library, thats the only places I checked out books from.
I had always watched TV shows when they came on about UFOs and the Loch Ness monster, and I suppose my Imagination just really wanted some of this stuff to be real.
In college I never really delved into any of it, but did continue to read my comic books and such, hoping that college wouldnt suck all my imagination away from me. Last semester (my last semester) a friend of mine from high school recommended this site, he said he looked through it when he was bored.
As soon as I signed on i immediately went to the Alien and UFO forums and hung out there behind the scenes for a few months before creating my account.
Immediatly i was hooked into discussions and have learned more than my fair share since then.
I was excited to be able to pick up all the stuff I had left behind in high school.

SO, thats my story, and I don't expect any of you to write that much about yourselves, I just want to try and see if most of the people on here are the same type of people. If we were attracted to this site from our past researches, or if you once stumbled upon a thread and had your eyes "opened" so to speak.

anyway, just thought this might be a good way to get to know some people and see what brought everyone to the same place.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Excellent idea!

I have, well since my early teens anyways, been obsessed by UFO's and all things paranormal, this is because when i was a little younger me and my friend saw a good few UFO's during the early 1990's when i stayed in a village called Shieldhill in Scotland.

We didn't really have the internet in those days, or it was in it's earliest stages at least so the only way i could dig up anything of interest about this subject was through books, magazines and the odd television program.

I actually stumbled on ATS by accident while searching for things about ufo's on the internet, i eventually arrived at a Serpo discussion board (if i remember correctly) and a lot of posters there thought ATSers where NRA agents and disinfo agents, all that kinda stuff, making quite scathing comments actually. Through natural curiousity i came over to the site, blown away with it's interface, content, and the overall feel for the site, i quickly signed up.

And the rest is history!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
sweet!
Thanks for sharing your story!

So, so far, both you and I have been interested in this type of info from an early age and both had experiences from an early age.
You saw UFOs, I saw ghosts lol

I wonder if most people came by ATS this way or if ATS actually changed someones mind about this stuff to become a believer.

Lets wait and find out!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The primary reason why I am on ATS is because I got bored with other forums that concentrated strictly on ideals that seem to pigeon-hole a person (like me) into a mind-set that I do not necessarily agree. With ATS there are the different kinds of forums that interest me like ‘Aliens & UFO’s, ‘Paranormal Studies’, ‘Secret Societies’ and general conspiracies that could be debated forever. I could never get tired with the fun-filled version of BTS, either. There are too many topics to choose from and reply to at any one time. Yes, I’ll admit it’s quite addicting, too.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
My introduction to ATS can be attributed to John Lear. Last summer, I was listening to old C2C interviews on Youtube and came across the Disclosure that he did with Art Bell, and then a subsequent interview he did with George Noory. During the second interview, John mentioned the site a few times so I wrote it down. At first, as many have said, I watched from the sidelines before becoming a member. I still read more than I post.

My interest in the topics discussed in these forums stems from experiences starting in my early childhood that I feel can hardly be explained in scientific or rational terms. To better understand some of those events, I feel that it is necessary to start with educating myself on some of these topics, which I've been readily doing over the years. I feel that I've undergone somewhat of a deprogramming phase while educating myself and the world looks a whole lot different these days.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by pikypiky:

Thanks for sharing!
where you also interested in these topics from a young age, or has searching the internet and ATS broadened your mind on things?

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DamnedDirtyApes

Thanks for sharing!

seems like there is def a trend showing an incident or want to believe and investigate this stuff from a young age.

We need more to find out, but from these few posts, that seems to be the trend.

Its funny how we all end up in the same place.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

Ah no! The student in me was quite dormant during my youngish years until recently when I felt the time was right to continue my endless reading and re/searching of the unexplained. Plus, I happen to like messing around with people as this is also my purpose -- to have some fun. I already knew of ATS a few years back, by the way. Ciao.

[edit on 2008-2-7 by pikypiky]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Mostly to learn more and discuss topics I have been long interested in. Paranormal and ancient civilizations/lost cities as favs, currently am getting more into conspiracies and mythic creatures, and as an old favorite ufos/aliens. I've been into the mysteries of life since about 7 years old, starting with watching Unsolved mysteries and documentary shows. Also, am into the Political side of things off and on, while enjoying general topics of BTS and news. I should have been here years back, but during that didn't have much time for message board involvement. Nevertheless am happy to be here now, meeting like minds is always a plus. Not to mention, good to see so many of us 'unconventional/open minded' thinkers exists.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by dreamingawake]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Great stories guys, always interested to hear how people made their way over to ATS. I've starred and flagged this thread because i like it a lot!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Thanks for your story!

I agree, its great being around so many open minded people.

In fact, I find it difficult talking to a lot of people now that don't have the same mind view lol.
Luckily I've convinced my close friends about some of this stuff but seriously, more people need to think like ATSers

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
well, seems things have died down a lot, so I'm posting this in hopes of this thread getting some more attention.

This is a good chance for us to get to know our fellow comrades as we work to fight ignorance, so please share your story with us!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Because... because... I HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GO!!

Heh, no, seriously. I've no idea why I'm still here. Initially I came here in 2004 while doing follow-up research on "Ancient Indian Nuclear Weapons". I found a thread here with discussion from both sides, so the info was more balanced than sites that just showed one side. Found the sceptics argument to be far more compelling. So I looked around, and eventually registered in early 2006 when there was a lot of misconceptions about certain things that westerners "think" they're experts in -- basically I wanted to inject an Asian and/or Eastern perspective to certain topics.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
sweet! thanks for the input!

Since coming to ATS, whats your favorite forum or area of discussions?

has ATS changed your perspective on anything?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I am on ATS because as long as I can remember I have been intrested in the Paranormal. I also believe in the "little green men", and believe in goverment cover-ups to avoid mass hysteria.
I haven't been on ATS long, but my stay here so far has been pleasent.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I've been a member to the ATS, before all the Bells & Whistles were added. As far back, as I can remember paranormal activity has encircled my life from UFO's to Ghosts. My father would discuss these things with us kids without reserve. I thought it was natural going up to our cabin in Granite Falls Washington to watch for UFO's and Bigfoot! My Father and Grandfather seen something they claimed was hairy and walked like a man on the lower front acreage. They said it smelled like rotten logger socks. Many of the towns people also have claimed to have seen Bigfoot in Granite Falls.
According to my father my Great Grandfather was a Warlock and could hypnotize a snake. As a child I seen many strange lights in the nights sky. My family and I have been in this desert for nearly 20 years. A neighbor to Area 51, as the raven flies. We did not know that Art and Ramona Bell lived fairly close, until later on. Radio in Nye County wasn't the greatest back then. You could only get am channels and there was a lot of static. Now we have KNYE fm radio station owned by Art. When Art and Ramona Bell had their famous Black Triangle Sighting we knew for a fact, the military was trying to cover it up. A C-130 was circling the valley for a long time and the military said it got lost! With Mount Charleston standing out, like a soar thumb.... I find that hard to believe. Just on the other side is Las Vegas and Nellis Air Force Base. The last I heard a C-130 is not silent, infact they're down right noisy!
We've seen many undentified flying objects out here in the desert. Some most likely ours and others not. I became a member to the ATS to learn more about these things including ghosts. I've had a few experiences in that area, but that's another story. Since I've been here I've met some very prominent people such as John Lear, Stanton Friedman, and the list goes on.....The ATS Mix is truely an asset with interviews with the likes of Shirley Maclaine! Springer, Simon, and all of them go out of their way to investigate stories and find the truth. I appreciate all the Mods who work so diligently to maintain this great website. I've always felt comfortable posting on the ATS knowing I'm not going to get flamed.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The Challenge and Intellectual Stimulation....

The Friendship and Camaraderie...

I have found that those with an open mind are always the better intellect and more accepting of opposing views.

I have found ATS to be a harbor for those that want to learn, including myself. I have been changed, and in no small way, by ATS. My eyes have been opened, my mind sharpened and my wits challenged.

I am still here because I am a better person due to ATS...

People here have touched me, mentally and emotionally. There are members here I have never met and consider them some of my closest compatriots and dearest of friends...

I have been helped here and I like to think I may have helped someone as well here on ATS...

ATS is a world like no other and I would rather be no place else...

Semper

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm here because I haven't been able to have a decent discussion on ghosts, cryptids, and old times in a dog's age.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I am here because ATS is the only place I can be honest about who I am.. and have other people who can relate to me.
Thats priceless!

I wonder how many of us felt so alone before we found ats?

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i originally came here hoping to find answers or insight to my own experiences with ET's and ghosts. once in a while i find a nugget that gets me thinking, but i've pretty much accepted this as a good place to hang out and freely discuss off the wall topics without being judged.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join