It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot water heater / boiler as a source of water?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I know mine isn't supposed to do better than 150F. I could see someone cranking their water heater up and then having pipes burst in the walls from the pressure. Probably best to use fire.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Water Heaters have a t and P valve on them to prevent the tank from doing just that, exploding. There is a direct relatioship to t (Temperature) and p (pressure) , so as one goes up so does the other. By passing a t & p valve could provbe to be disatorus (or how ever you spell it). I wouldn't recommed trying to by pass it or to get a hot water heater to boil water.

Of course you could cut the top of the hot water heater off with a sawzall, torch or with a cutting wheel but you would end up with more junk in the water.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have tested the water from my hot water heater and was warned that hot water heaters leach lead from the system. I tested it anyway and "it failed" with very high lead content. On the other hand, my cold water passed the state test.

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
i've drank hot water from hot water tanks for over 50 years
and had no problem. in america there are certain government
rules as to what a hot water heating tank can be made of.
NSA national sanitation association......don't be afraid of your
hot water heater's water......thats nonsense!!

i'd be very careful drinking water from a hot water heating system
of a home. chemicals are used to keep minerals to a minimum....
toxic chemicals.....do not drink that water!!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

I was just thinking out loud and realized that my hot water tank holds like 80 gallons of potable water.

I lived in Louisville, KY, which is located on the 38th deg of latitude. Very temperate climate. Mid-country. A friend built a 4 plex to rent out. He put in window ACs but for heat, he put a cheap aluminum plenum chamber in the attic and an A coil in it, into which he ran the water from the hot water heater. He connected the water heater pump to the apartment thermostat. He set the water heaters thermostat at 140 deg. He advertised the apartment as "heat included."

After 5 years, he sold the 4-plex and said no one ever complained about the heat or the electric bill. Oh, most water heaters here are 30 gal gas, 52 gal electric. Larger sizes are available.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I guess it'll be a moot point soon enough.
I'm switching over to solar hot water which will come with a new tank.
We're building an addition (this spiring I hope) and have the system in the budget. We have an oversized heater due to having the in laws living with us. Like I said just thinking out loud.

I never realized that hot water leaches lead. It must be from the piped solder??? I like the idea of having a bladder to line the tub in case of a sitx. I may look into that. I'll just tell the wife that it's for hurricanes.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Was Googling some of this and ended up with a very interesting page from Univ. of Neb. Thought I'd share
www.ianrpubs.unl.edu...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Having lead in your water depends on how old the plumbing system is. The older the system the chances there will be lead will be higher. Lead solder 50/50 Lead/Tin was used up until the 80's before solder went to lead free were the lead was replaced with silver, antimony and or copper.

Newer homes after 85 should have no lead in the plumbing system what so ever.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
woo-hoo I'm lead free!
I am somewhat relieved as I have made many a hot chocolate for my children using hot tapwater. The little ones don't like it too hot.

I will look into that link, thanks.

edit: Look at this gem. solar powered portable water filter

Most interesting.

[edit on 8/2/08 by shadow watcher]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here is a cool method using a 2 liter soda bottle.

Portable Water Filters

One other type of homemade water filter is far more portable and personal. The materials for this style of water filter are readily available and can be found easily in most households.

A two-liter plastic water bottle with the lid will serve as the housing for the filtration system. An ordinary plastic straw will serve as the spout. The filtration system will consist of cotton batting, fine and large grain gravel, fine and large grain sand, and a coffee filter. Activated charcoal granules may be added for an extra level of filtration. The filtered water can be captured in a mug or jar.

To create this style of homemade water filter, cut off the bottom of the two-liter water bottle. Create a hole in the lid of the bottle so that a straw may fit snugly. The straw must sit half way through the opening in the lid. This housing configuration will sit on the jar or mug with the straw end of the housing inside the jar.

Place the cotton batting at the bottom of the two-liter bottle, this will serve as the lining for your filtration system. Start with a layer of activated charcoal granules.

Next, place a layer of fine grain sand followed by a layer of large grain sand. Follow the layers of sand with a layer of fine grain gravel then larger grain gravel.

Alternate these layers until you reach the top of the bottle.

Top the filtration system with the coffee filter. Once the filtration system is in place, pour in the unfiltered water through the coffee filter. The untreated water will work through the layers of sediment to wick away the impurities in the water. The cotton batting catches particulates from the sediment and acts as a final buffer. The filtered water will flow through the straw spout into the jar for drinking. Adding a couple of drops of chlorine can add another level of filtration to the process.

HOMEMADE WATER FILTERS

Also I found this filter system for water exposed to radiation.
Irradiated water filters

[edit on 8/2/08 by shadow watcher]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You should'nt be depending on water heaters or toilets for your safe water storage.

7 Gallon blue Aquatainers at WallyWorld are only 8 bucks.

Buy all your sodas and juices in the plastic 2 liter bottles. Clean and fill with tap water along with 2 drops of regular household bleach, this will store for a couple years. When I first started my 2 litter bottle supply I would walk the dogs through the neighborhood with a trash bag the night before recycle day and snatch up 2 liter bottles, sanitize them and fill.

I now have 8 Aquatainers and 50 ~ 2 liter bottles filled with a huge pile of empty 2 liter bottles that might get me divorced unless I fill them this weekend.

[edit on 8-2-2008 by TXAGNT]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Don't forget unless it is commercial water to empty and refill the bottles every 6 months at least according to FEMA

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hmmm, I've been using my 2L bottles for biodomes.
My window is full of baby veggie plants.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Its still recommended to flush your water heater every 6 months.

I also use 2 liter cola bottles for water storage. They are more durable than the store bought 1 gallon milk and water container in most stores.

They also have a better cap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join