It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissidents 'inept but dangerous': Terrorist threat increase in N.Ireland

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Dissidents 'inept but dangerous': Terrorist threat increase in N.Ireland

news.bbc.co.uk

Dissident republicans are inept but dangerous, Northern Ireland's chief constable has said.

Security is being stepped up across Northern Ireland after the police issued a warning of an "increased terrorist threat".

Detectives said the public are likely to notice increased activity, including vehicle checkpoints
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This is quite worrying for my country

News like this reminds me of the troubles during the 70/80s, which resulted in my family fleeing Northern Ireland

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The dissident Republicans were never going to just melt away after the peace accord of 1997. I think though the bombings in London will have taken the wind out of th their sails. As the likely reactoion to a bombing now now would be pure outrage and they would be dealt with mercilisley.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The word coming out of the PSNI (Police service of Northern Ireland) is a believed car bomb attack is immiment.

Home Office fears dissidents republicans and Islamic extremists are working under the theory of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

It will be interesting to see if this spreads across to Britain. Dissidents have declared they want to attack the mainland again.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

If Irish Nationalists carry out any bombing on mainland Britain there would be a public outcry and the response would be swift and effective.

Irish Nationalists must have surely realised that Britain will never give in to terrorism, of any kind.
Northern Ireland will remain part of the United Kingdom as long as the majority of people in Northern Ireland wish to.

We have had a few similar alerts over the last year or so, fortunately, probably due to the dilligence and effectiveness of British Security Forces, there has been no actual terrorist attack.

Great efforts to improve the situation in Northern Ireland by people from both communities.
This must be maintained at all costs.

We can not afford to go back to those dark days and must resist the actions of a very small minority of people who wish to use an outdated notion of Nationalism to advance their own personal agendas.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Agreed.

Any return to republican terrorism would result in the death of their cause. Mainstream republicans do not support an armed rebellion to achieve a United Ireland.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Afew more sources;

Now the police believe that the dissidents may be planning a series of firebomb attacks on commercial premises.

This would be at a time when the power-sharing administration is gearing up to hold an international investment conference in Belfast in May

RTE

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has issued a warning of an increased terrorist threat.

The Real IRA told a Sunday newspaper last weekend that it was going on the offensive again.

The terror group said police officers would be the primary targets and the aim was to bring soldiers back onto the streets and shatter what it termed the `facade of normality`.

aim "to bring soldiers back"

It seems the Real IRA is trying to get the soldiers back, who left towards the end of last year after power-sharing was achieved.

Very worrying.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Well I hate to break the cycle of British "we will crush the Irish without mercy!" war crys..

The only thing I find alarming, in this entire thread.. is that the British have made an effort to tie Irish unification to an Islamic cause...

So that when the public hears IRA they think Osama. How.. very well played.. on Englands part anyways.

The REAL problem within Ulster, is also in the Southern counties..

And that is a failing economy.. the Irish economy is a service economy to bigger economies.. when American and British consumerism drops.. what does Ireland get? Layoffs, round after round of layoffs.. including some of the Irish's biggest and most profitable employers like Intel, who are considering leaving the island forever.

Many companies from the high tech sector who moved to Ireland for cheap but educated workers with very low taxes.. are finding it better to move to India and China.

Then you have the housing market, which in Ireland casts a big shadow even on American and British housing markets.. so over inflated (both buy and let) that few can buy anymore, and those who did and lost their job or where subprime, are being evicted.

Couple this with slowing consumer spending, which will result in further job losses, the economy of Ireland .. you could say anyways, is already far into a recession.

For most countries this is a problem, for those who suffer political strife it will be a nightmare.

What do people do who lost everything yet need a cause? They make an enemy, and they make war.

Ireland really only escaped the Troubles because of the "Celtic Tiger" and once that died, they could very well go back down the path they came.

Just trying to show the entire situation in a different light.. so please, Brits, don't come beating your hypocritical nationalistic chest to me.

As you so often do...

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
If your catholic in n ireland i wonder are you still treated badly in the north. The terrible things england did to them, and t blair gets a noble peace prize for it.

Digusting, to say the least.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Like what?

I know plenty of Catholics living in Northern Ireland and they are having a complete ball at the moment thanks to the peace accords.

Stop believing the old, romantic, nationalist nonsense and let the Northern Irish get on with the one real thing they want to do; just live a normal life like the rest of us.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Excuse me?

Who is beating Nationalism?

*looks over*

No one. Grow up.

As an Irishmen, living in Britain, Americans made the problem in Northern Ireland even worse by funding the IRA. You remember that right?

Maybe if the Mexicans start rebelling in California I might starting funding them....

I've had a family member killed by IRA. So don't act you have some sort of superior knowledge. No offence, you know nothing.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

It has gotten far better since the Troubles, in part thanks to the North Irish Police for hiring more Catholics.. which at one time few Catholics could be in the police, now a steady increase is still occuring.

To say its all peachy and fine may not be accurate, simply because of the historic loyalty lines.

Some people like the poster below you, prefer history is set aside, and we all conform into a single non-traditional people and pretend the world is full of rainbows and unicorns.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

A shame Blair didn't get a Nobel Peace Prize though

And the Catholic birth rate is the fastest growing in the UK, not just Northern Ireland. Education can be a great tool

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

All of that.. and you see 2 lines. Perfect..

Maybe the problem with the Irish is not an Irish one.. maybe its dealing with pompous arrogant Englishmen? 40 million Americans are of Irish decent. Our views of them are far more favorable then they are of the Brits.

From one oppressed people to another.. by the same country.. with a parrallel history.

But that is neither here nor there.. "I know nothing" .. Unless I happen to support to "orange" cause.

[edit on 2/6/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Tell me..

who funded the IRA? Funny how you ignore it

But, due to your "war on terror" America does not like to admit it use to fund terrorist organisations.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

America did.

WE also ARMED them.

And I happen to support them still.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The fact I've posted information about a loss of a family member to the IRA and you've simply laughed it off means you are a pretty sick human being. And I don't care if I get warned for it.

This thread started with a fair and open balanced view point, myself posting about my parents having to flee violence and you've come here and decided to make this thread polarized (against my wishes)

I've never felt so insulted or offended this much before on ATS. I'm not joking either. I'm lost for words how a poster can be so ignorant to personal tragedy.

Rockpuck say what you like cause I've simply had enough of ATS and because of your comments today, I now know why I should leave this place.

I have no intention of posting here every again.

Last post

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

How many terror groups do england support in there history?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

So that when the public hears IRA they think Osama. How.. very well played.. on Englands part anyways.

The British already consider the IRA to be worse than Al-Qaeda.
They have murdered countless innocents for years.
They are TERRORISTS.
And the USA funded them.
But how you squeal when terrorists strike in your country.
You want the whole world, particularly Britain to help you.
Hypocrisy and double standards of the highest order.

Northern Ireland is BRITISH because the majority of people in Northern Ireland wish to be.
What part of that is hard to understand?
Regardless of how, or why, they are there is irrelevant.
They have been there for generations and it is their home now.
As America is to you.
Suppose we all start supporting a Native American uprising.
Of course not, it's nonsense.

You then bring economics into it.
Well stop right there.
I live in North East England where I have had to witness the total and utter decimation of all engineering and manufacturing.
There is no longer a single shipyard on the Tyne, Tees or Wear.
There is far higher unemployment here than anywhere in North or Southern Ireland.
There are subsidised shipyards in Ireland, why, when we can build them better, and cheaper, in N.E. England?
Because it is politically astute to do so and it helps foster better relations.
Well so be it, if that's the price we have to pay for peace then I accept it.

My family came to England from County Kerry.
I am a permanently lapsed Catholic.
I am proud of my ancestry; but I am English and British first.
I have had friends and family suffer through the IRA.
They are scum and the vast majority of Irish people; both Northern and Southern do not support them at all.

Here's some well known Southern Irishmen's opinion on the IRA.

But then again, I bet you were too ignorant to watch all the way through.

Your wilful disregard and lack of caring over another ATS member’s loss disgusts me.
You remind me of kangjia with your hatred and lack of willingness to understand and respect others.

The Troubles in Ireland were a culmination of centuries of events and was not solely down to the actions of the British.

The idealistic romantic notion of the revolutionary fighting against injustice had long since disappeared in Northern Ireland and was more to do with drug and gun running and extortionism.
And that is the reality of what you funded and supported, criminals ruling communities through terror.
How very noble of you.
You KNOW NOTHING about the reality of Ireland and its suffering.

Why can't people just leave Ireland and it's people be and let them get on with living their lives?

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Ireland really only escaped the Troubles because of the "Celtic Tiger" and once that died, they could very well go back down the path they came.

this is a baffling and completely false statement- the "celtic tiger" only emerged in the early 1990s, at a time when the troubles were drawing to a close- the troubles having been at their height in the early 1970s!!

stil revisionism was always an irish nationalist friend..........

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join