It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia suspicious over Iran test

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOmaskedman

Sorry is a correct word for you.

All the hate towards Israel, makes me wonder if you have a 'special' vest at home just waiting for that right occasion.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
We now have a couple people trying to deflect this into a thread about Israel.

The original title is "Russia suspicious over Iran test". OK?

someone asked for a reference to Israel's testing... i posted it... and it does give some inclination as to why Iran maybe testing... sure Russian is nervous... other countries as well... where's the headline that reads Iran nervous of Russia's friendship with US? so many anti Iranian threads, might just be time to "sympathize" with them for a change

fankly, i'm worried that anyone has weapons... US Russia Israel Pakistan.. all being controlled by crazy people IMO

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Russia would also prefer to have a client rather than a competitor for launch services, a market the Russians are having quite a bit of success in.

Also, I suspect it's a warning from the Russians to Iran that while they might not support the US's aggressive posture on the issue, they're not too keen on Iran building a bomb either.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It seems to me that not too long ago the Iranians tested some type of advanced torpedo technology that was supposedly russian design also?

Besides that, didn't the Iranians make some deal with North Korea as well?
The Russians shouldn't be surprised at anything the Iranians do by now, no matter what previous arrangements they may have made about any testings like this. Iran just makes some other claim about future space technology. Maybe they plan on sending the first suicide terrorist in a rocket as well?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What rocket or ballistic missile technology has Russia recently shared with Iran exactly? I am not aware of any, but I may very well be wrong.

And Russian relations with Iran have never been prefectly smooth. Russia criticized, or rather voiced common concern about Iran's militant rhetoric and recent actions numerous times, although obviously not on the same scale as the U.S. propaganda against Iran. Russia is not a huge fan of Ahmadinejad, but I think it sees this cooperation with Iran as a necessasity, given Russia's lost ground in Middle East since the Cold War and the recent actions of the U.S. Russia has always been leery of Iran and Middle East in general, in part due to Cold War betrayals such as Egypt, and in part due to issues with extremism during the Chechen wars.

Remember when Russia temporarily ceased work on the nuclear reactor in Iran several months ago? Although it was said that this was due to financial issues, it was obviously due to some other concerns. While Russia wants to limit U.S. advances in Middle East and create difficulties for the U.S. where possible, it is not at all interested in Iran doing something as outlandish as attacking Israel or some other U.S. ally.

Russia needs a stable, independent Iran (in terms of U.S. pressure), and strong Iran. It needs to prevent the U.S. from somehow toppling the regime there. But it does not need Iran declaring hostile threats or waving nukes into everyone's face, because this undermines the stability factor. I think this is the reason for Russia's recent criticism of Iran, and differences with Iran regarding the nuclear project. Very likely there is more going on behind the scenes, and I believe that Russia is trying to pressure Iran into calming down a bit, since the threat of attack by the U.S. has subsided.

That said there is obviously something very awkward about Russia's dealing with Iran. I doubt it has to do with oil or oil prices. Russia clearly knows more about what Iran is doing than we do here on ATS, and possibly more than U.S. knows. But if it was really sending a strong message to Iran, why do it so publically, when Russia's recent strategy in regards to foreign policy is to go under the radar?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join