It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Finding Posts Is A Torture!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Hi guys! Now how in the name of Jupiter can one quickly find one’s posts in a looong thread? I mean a thread that’s as long as the Nile? One’s got to wade through all the pages of the thread to find a post that one’s written.

Isn’t there a method to ease this torture? There could, for example, be a button that you click in that particular thread and lo and behold! All your posts in that thread show up in chronological order in all their glory!
Just a thought to make life simpler!!

Or am I missing something here? Lol!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Mike,

One way is to click on the "posts" tab at the bottom of you post above. find a post from the thread you want to search and click on "Thread Posts" this will give you all your posts from a given thread. It narrows it down a bit.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Ahh..Got it! Thanks Fred!
But I still feel it's better to have that button at the bottom of the posts, instead of invoking another page and clicking the last column there.

Oh well! I guess it's not worth the effort of adding a few more pages of code! Programming is a darn pain in the you-know-what!!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The function you're looking for is already there. When a thread has more than one page, all posts will have a "thread" button below the posts. Click it, and all posts by that member (or yourself if you click on one of your own post) will be displayed

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
And to find threads... :

When you're inside a forum (i.e. War On Terrorism, the default view is "sort by date". You can also sort by author (a=ascending, d=descending). Or if you know the thread title (Subject), but don't remember who made it, you can sort by thread title.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Bingo! Thanks Hellmutt.
Heck! Still a lot to learn here!
Gotta start experimenting with all them fancy buttons now!! But I hope my computer doesn't explode on clicking some nondescript button. Need to be careful, what?

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yes, but what about not only finding your post but finding out where that post lies within the thread?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Very cool, thanks for asking this question Mike. I have been trying to do the same thing and was unable to figure it out. Big help guys thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

In that case you need to look at the time/date the post was made. And then locate the post "manually" (page by page) by comparing the time/date with the other posts in the thread.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think what Mike is getting at, is how do you readily see replies to your posts, so that you can follow up on questions, etc. Curently you can click on a single post you made, but it displays only as a single post. Just take us to that point in the thread and this site would be much more productive, at least for me. Even a place marker showing the last page you viewed would be an improvement.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I would like a "table of contents" button at the top of each thread longer than a few pages.

It should display in chronological order the posts in the thread in a format of
date -- author -- size (Kb)

That way you would know, if you know one or two of the criterias, or narrow in your search. Besides it would provide a nice overview.

I always had to go to the member profile (if I know the author) and click 'posts in thread' for the function Hellmutt now describes in post/thread button of the individual posts.

Yeah, every day you learn something new on ATS.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yes, it is, and that is why I leave that task to the pros. How they can use such a complex and uncomprehensable format to search simple, or semingly simple topics is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

The thread button in posts works differently from the thread button in profiles. The thread button in posts will show that members posts for only the thread in which the button was clicked. That's also why the button isn't showing until the thread is over one page.

edit to add: ah, now I see what you meant. Yes, that's another way to find the same function.

[edit on 2008/2/6 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
In that case you need to look at the time/date the post was made. And then locate the post "manually" (page by page) by comparing the time/date with the other posts in the thread.

Heck! That's why I always wanted a secretary, so I could leave all these menial tasks of manually locating stuff to her! But $100 an hour? Darn! So I'm back to square one! Oh, for doing things manually in this age of automation!! Lol!!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

That's my point as well and I requested this to be added in the suggestion thread. I notice on some other boards that you can immediately go to where you left off in a thread no matter how long you've been gone or how long the thread is.

new topics

top topics

join