It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does The Technology of Orwell's 1984 Really Exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Does The Technology of Orwell's 1984 Really Exist?

blog.wired.com

We can't know what George Orwell, author of Nineteen Eighty-Four, would think about his old neighborhood being watched by dozens of cameras. It's not hard to make an educated guess.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This is a good article that illustrates the Orwellian world of 1984 and how it may compare to things we have today.

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
In certain respects, we have already surpassed what Orwell envisioned.

Orwell theorized information management, operating on the assumption that Big Brother would control all inputs. He never had any context in which to imagine the internet. Today's data mining and satellite surveillance go far beyond what he predicted.

The extent to which we are monitored is not something we think about. We take it for granted that we are being data mined, and we accept all too readily the fact that we are being manipulated.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

I agree with you Justin. People do not seem to be "getting it" when it comes to our personal information being scattered in every direction. With the new REAL ID being introduced, it is only going to get worse. We are about to be monitered even more, and if you don't comply, I hope people are ready for the harassment they are going to receive.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think its already beyond what Orwell imagined
Just look at the internet, cell phones, rfid, spy satellites, gps, huge networks of cameras, facial recognition software, biometrics etc...

when I read this story for the first time I couldn't help but think of 1984 and how the telescreen was always listening in peoples homes

click here for link to story'

[edit on 6-2-2008 by warpboost]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think the problem is that people think they are individually being targeted by cctv etc. I see the reason for surveillance, as to keep a record or log if anything illegal was to happen, so those who 'protect' us can review. It's not all doom and gloom and we are far from 1984 as a society. The only problem would be, if a police state was to occur or the wrong people in power abused monitoring. I don't think that it's happening yet, but it could and that's more of a worry to me.
I do have a gripe with speed cameras though as a UK citizen. Just another way of the govenment making money.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeros

Xeros, can you comment on this thread? Do you know anything about this?

UK citizens torch the police state

I do agree with some of what you said. I think, as an avid poster of RFID, data mining, police state, that all of this recent push to gather information on citizens is in fact for nefarious purposes. I for one am tired of it being pushed off as supposed "protection from terrorism". I just do not buy that argument.

[edit on 2/6/2008 by palehorse23]

new topics

top topics

join