It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China, India are Africa's "new colonialists"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

China, India are Africa's "new colonialists"

www.reuters.com

DAKAR (Reuters) - Hungry for oil and minerals, India and China have become Africa's new colonialists, exploiting the world's poorest continent in the same way as its old European masters, billionaire financier George Soros said on Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This is very true. As Chinese troops arrived in Sudan just a few days ago, we can now see they like those before are interested in resources and not philanthropy. As the world's economy worsens and China/India grow, Africa will be used and abused. The disasters and suffering there at the present are already of Apocalyptic proportions. China and India are only adding to the problem.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Do you wonder why the UN nor America has been involved with the Darfur region?

Chinese troops are in the area, and it would be a tight political situation if their oil supplies are disrupted.. Chinese troops did not just arive there, they have been there for a few years now.

You also now know why China has not said a word on the subject.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
agreed 200 %
china has been selling weapons to africa for a long time , after all they produce what is needed , cheap sturdy simple armament.
I'm curious to see what the tchad situation will bring forth, probably nothing we will know about , a few more "commercial arrangements", how to share the african "market".
America and France have been pushing since years to open more bases on the african continent .Sarkozy just struck a deal with the emirates (base + nuclear powerplant) and france had bee sharing it's base in Dakkar
here's an intersting article (in French sorry) basically stating that the Kingdom of Morocco has allowed the installation of the 6th US AFRICOM (currently in Stuttgart ) base on it's soil
aahh weeeeeell

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
it's a fair point, and if anyone thought western european colonialism was brutal (it often was with certain areas involving the Belgians for example), I don't think the Chinese would be any shrinking violets either!

How can Africans harness their own economies/resources, in a similar manner that many far eastern asian nations have done in the last 40 to 50 years?

I'm not sure, it may be destined to continual strife and turmoil due to endemic corruption and tribalism

*edit I realise Africa is a large continent, and am using it in the widest generalising sense*

[edit on 6-2-2008 by blueorder]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
it's a fair point, and if anyone thought western european colonialism was brutal (it often was with certain areas involving the Belgians for example), I don't think the Chinese would be any shrinking violets either!

How can Africans harness their own economies/resources, in a similar manner that many far eastern asian nations have done in the last 40 to 50 years?

I'm not sure, it may be destined to continual strife and turmoil due to endemic corruption and tribalism

*edit I realise Africa is a large continent, and am using it in the widest generalising sense*

[edit on 6-2-2008 by blueorder]

How? Diamonds, Uranium, Coal, Platinum, Aluminum, Iron, Titanium, Copper and Oil are all available. A Pan African approach is needed.

The African Union needs to strengthen, push for Education and Health policies. Resource rights and profits need to be controlled by Africans not outsiders. An African Resource Cartel something like OPEC needs to be created and managed by the African Union. Resource revenues need to be tightly controlled to prevent being squandered.

Manufacturing and refining industries must be invested in, rather than have resources exported raw. This will end the vast majority of unemployment. In order for this to be implemented Infrastructure must be built, railroads, and highways connecting all of Africa.

Superstition and Tribalism will have to become obsolete in order to build a strong Industrial and Intellectual base.

The Creation of cash crops at the expense of the Population has to end, thus the AU needs to regulate the African agriculture industry. Along with a Free Trade agreement across the continent this will alleviate much of the hunger and food shortages.

The AU needs to form a stable Central Bank and issue a Continental Currency, encouraging investment.

Lastly the Major Powers need to write off the vast majority of debt that is keeping Africa enslaved to them. This Debt is like a boot on the backs of the poorest people on earth, completely inhumane and cruel.

Essentially Africa needs the equivalent of a Meiji Restoration.

[edit on 6/2/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
How? Diamonds, Uranium, Coal, Platinum, Aluminum, Iron, Titanium, Copper and Oil are all available. A Pan African approach is needed.

Im afraid a "pan african" approach is not going to happen, there is not the will, capability, infrastructure etc. For example, the EU project, in my opinion is doomed to fail, and this project has had an economic, infrastructural, non tribal etc head start so to speak

Manufacturing and refining industries must be invested in, rather than have resources exported raw. This will end the vast majority of unemployment. In order for this to be implemented Infrastructure must be built, railroads, and highways connecting all of Africa.

yep, that is the theory

Superstition and Tribalism will have to become obsolete in order to build a strong Industrial and Intellectual base.

that is what should happen, but there is nothing to suggest it will- especially when one of the most advanced african nations has a potential leader who talks about showering to prevent aids!

The Creation of cash crops at the expense of the Population has to end, thus the AU needs to regulate the African agriculture industry. Along with a Free Trade agreement across the continent this will alleviate much of the hunger and food shortages.

yep

Lastly the Major Powers need to write off the vast majority of debt that is keeping Africa enslaved to them. This Debt is like a boot on the backs of the poorest people on earth, completely inhumane and cruel.

you realise that this was a voluntary arrangement REQUESTED by the respective individual African nations- most of it squandered by corrupt tyrants. If this debt is written off, I for one as a UK citizen would want no more loans to be given to any African nation

Essentially Africa needs the equivalent of a Meiji Restoration.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

The Infrastructure and Agricultural reform are key. If these two can be improved then Manufacturing and Refining can follow.

These corrupt Tyrants arranged these debts not the people who are suffering. Let the Tyrants have the debts but dont force the people to suffer for the mistakes of warlords and dictators.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

These corrupt Tyrants arranged these debts not the people who are suffering. Let the Tyrants have the debts but dont force the people to suffer for the mistakes of warlords and dictators.

If that is the case, I would oppose any further "loans" to any nation which then demands it to be written off

new topics

top topics

join