It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with research paper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, but I wasn't exacly sure where I should post this request. I am taking an introductory Sociology course in college and have to write a paper on a sociological issue. I have decided to write on how the media has such a strong influence on society and public opinion.

I was wondering if anyone had some good articles or resources - preferably peer-reviewed or at least from a respected source - that pertained to this subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You should use your college's online library archives (if it has one). That is a great resource. I took sociology in college and I loved it
. Keep up the hard work!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have to agree, I minored in Sociology, and the most useful resource available was the online database at the library. Specifically Lexus Nexus was a great one If I remember correctly. I know there were a few others but I cannot remember them off of the top of my head. Its been a while since I was in school
Good luck to you!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
I have to agree, I minored in Sociology, and the most useful resource available was the online database at the library. Specifically Lexus Nexus was a great one If I remember correctly.

I am still in college and, yes, these are the best resources (especially if professors prefer peer-reviewed material). Be careful though MartyBishop, as you may have to be a member of a database to get information. Thus, your college must purchase rights to the databases in order for students to use them. Looking at LexisNexis for a couple of seconds, I can see that this service is not free.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Noam Chomsky would be a good place to start. Try the film Manufacturing Consent or the book Chronicles of Dissent.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I minored in Sociology, too. My degree is in Communications, though, specifically Electronic Media (Broadcast Journalism).

I recommend talking to communications majors at your school. They taught us about the media's influence on the masses (example: "The media doesn't tell people what to think; it tells people what to think about."). You might be able to use communications textbooks as sources, or those students might be able to direct you to an article or other source that might help you.

Good luck! Interesting topic!

new topics

top topics

join